-
AuthorContent
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 17, 2005
3:44 PM

Post #1408462

Oh, you thought I had flowers huh?? LOL

I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to start a new thread since the other one is getting very long and the race is on as the buds mature. So, please all you Epi lovers...post your buds or flower images here!

Edited to Add a Links to the prior threads for Epi Lovers!

The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/480652/

2004 Thread:
"The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!!"
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/426034/

This message was edited Apr 20, 2005 4:44 AM
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 17, 2005
5:40 PM

Post #1408627

Would it be cheeky to start this thread with a question about what the heck this is????? It's another of my Dead Sea trip adoptees...this one was popped off of the GIGANTIC Mama plant with permission from one of the residents. No info on what the heck it is though. They did say that it has great big flowers...couldn't remember when or what color though LOL...very helpful ;-). At least they were generous and let me take a baby :-).

-Julie

Thumbnail by salvia_lover
Click the image for an enlarged view.

salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 17, 2005
5:40 PM

Post #1408630

and here you can see that the stems have three sides.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 17, 2005
5:55 PM

Post #1408654

Hi Julie -

I have a couple of pieces in among my big Epi pots, they've never bloomed and have small but very sharp pickers. This is only a guess because of the triangular shape, Hylocereus undatus http://www.ecology.org/orchids/index5.html#epiCacti
Scroll down a bit and the last sentence for this entry is:
Quoting:The species is easily recognisable by the triangular cross-section of its stem and the minimal spines.

Mine are relatively small, perhaps 1 1/2 inches across the cross section. Whatcha think?

PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?search_type[common]=contains&searcher[common]=&search_type[family]=contains&searcher[family]=&search_type[genus]=contains&searcher[genus]=hylocereus&search_type[species]=contains&searcher[species]=&search_type[cultivar]=contains&searcher[cultivar]=&search_type[hybridizer]=contains&searcher[hybridizer]=&Search=Search

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2005
6:15 PM

Post #1408699

WOW, I'm even more in love with Epi's after seeing all the various colors on the ecology.org link. Several I MUST have... soon as I have more space. : )
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 17, 2005
6:19 PM

Post #1408710

Yup, I think you're right Candy. And that answers a question I have about another triangular stemmed cutting I was given at the garden center last summer. Thank you for helping with that. If it does turn out to be this, I certainly won't be disappointed :-)

Now back to our regularly scheduled Epi program...

sorry for the interruption :-)

-Julie
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 17, 2005
6:52 PM

Post #1409274

I got one that bloomed a few days ago, but I'll be darned if I can get a good picture of it. Here she is, it is labeled "Red". This is the first one to open here.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 17, 2005
7:04 PM

Post #1409288

Oh congrats!!

I figured I was rushing it a bit with a "flowers" thread, but not too soon at all. I think the "reds" are so hard to capture...the color is just so intense it messes with the camera's brain! It's a lovely Epi!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 17, 2005
7:18 PM

Post #1409306

Candy, thanks for starting a new thread!

Julie, the buds that you posted over at the old thread are cool! They look great! I agree with Candy that your cacti is probably Hylocereus undatus. I have that one too. It could also be Hylocereus polyrhizus, which is very similar in flower, but the fruit has red flesh inside. The picture of the fruit over at PlantFiles is not right, I don't think. Here is a link which shows the differences in the fruit: http://tfphotos.ifas.ufl.edu/

Hi Antoinette! How are you dear? I hope you are okay. Your red one is gorgeous! I have a cutting from you labelled "Small Orange" that has two buds! Yay!

Here's another picture of mine from last night:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 17, 2005
7:23 PM

Post #1409311

This is a cool link about Hylocereus which I should have added: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/dragon/index.htm
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 17, 2005
8:15 PM

Post #1409377

Thanks Clare! Cool link indeed! Both of them :-)

Gourd, congratulations! I think you've got the first bloom of the season! Hooray! :-)

-Julie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2005
1:01 AM

Post #1411832

I just posted on the wrong thread! Oh well, here she is:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2005
1:01 AM

Post #1411833

Close-up:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2005
1:02 AM

Post #1411834

She's lovely!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2005
1:04 AM

Post #1411839

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh Clare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2005
1:09 AM

Post #1411850

It's Beautiful . Clare
Wow love the red one too Gourd!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 19, 2005
1:27 AM

Post #1411880

LOL Clare! She is pretty enough to be posted several places for sure.

Just wonderful!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 19, 2005
2:56 AM

Post #1412053

Clare, that sure is pretty, it looks like a dainty little girl in her Easter dress.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2005
4:43 AM

Post #1412240

I knew it, I knew it! Never should have looked at this thread, cuz now I have to find a way to have some of these, too! Is it too dry here to grow them outside? Oh, dear, where am I going to put them?

Oh, I'm really in trouble now; I've just got to have one of those big beautiful flowers!

BTW, I have a CC (well, actually it's two holidays in one pot) that has not been happy in our new house. It's very big -- can I move it outside? Should I repot it? It bloomed a lot at our old place. After reading H's thread, I think it hasn't cooled enough -- this house is much warmer. What do y'all think?

Kathleen
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 19, 2005
5:51 AM

Post #1412291

Clare that is SOOOOO gorgeous! Such a lovely soft peachy color! I love it! Congratulations! Does she smell great too? :-)

-Julie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2005
6:43 AM

Post #1412320

Thanks so much, Everyone, for your kind words.

Julie, I am not detecting any fragrance just yet, but I will check on it tomorrow.

Kathleen, you should see some of Candy's previous threads where she posts some amazing pictures of flowers which are to die for. I'll dig them up for you tomorrow. I've got to get some sleep now. Yes, the CC should be moved outside and kept outside all year in your zone. It does need reduced light and cooler temperatures to set buds. I keep mine outside all year on the semi-covered patio. There are some great places to get epi's, but they start easily from cuttings if you can trade for them or get your hands on them somehow. I'll list some sources for you tomorrow. Nighty-nite!
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2005
9:45 PM

Post #1413560

Clare, that is one gorgeous flower. Now, is that an epi or what?
Pardon my ignorance, but am just learning about these plants in the last 6 months. Have always been around Xmas cactus's that my mother and grandmother had, plus MIL.

Maxine
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2005
10:13 PM

Post #1413629

Hi Julie,
I detected a very soft scent this morning, but it was gone this afternoon. It was very subtle but detectable.

Hi Maxine and Kathleen,

Yes, it is a epiphyllum hybrid. See these links for more information:

http://www.ecology.org/orchids/index5.html#Epis
http://graydavisepies.com/
http://www.epies.net/
http://junglecactus.com/care.htm

Here are some of Candy's threads:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/426034/
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/429556/
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/429159/
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/429115/

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 20, 2005
1:06 AM

Post #1413938

No flowers here yet, but here's an update on the buds. During our recent precipitous drop in temps the tiny buds looked shrunken, rather dark in color, and generally fairly sad. They seem to be rebounding, but are still quite small and don't seem to be progressing very fast. I am however more hopeful than I was a few days ago.

As I mentioned at the top of the thread to Julie, I also have a few pieces of the "triangular" shaped leaves in the big Epi pots. Their thorns are nasty and they have never bloomed in all these years. Several different pieces now have buds on them. The buds are easy to distinguish from the Epi buds as seen in the next two images.

Thumbnail by Happenstance

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 20, 2005
1:07 AM

Post #1413944

This is another piece with a bud on the tip. There is a third frond with a tiny very dark red prickly bud that was too small to get an image of, but I will be watching it closely!

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 20, 2005

Post #1413947

And here is one of the big pots of "pink" of varying blossom sizes, none of these are named...well I'm sure they have names, I just don't know them.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 20, 2005

Post #1413948

And another view of a "pink" pot.

In the foreground hanging down is the "triangular" piece from above with two buds...it is considerably greener than the epi leaves.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 6:13 PM

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 20, 2005
1:11 AM

Post #1413950

And here is a view of some of the "white" ones.

So that's the bud update at this point, more later...I hope!

Who else has flowers????

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 20, 2005
1:49 AM

Post #1414022

Not me but Imma crossing fingers and toes here for you Candy!!! Looking a bit silly but oh well...
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 20, 2005
4:37 AM

Post #1414441

Well, Clare, you're not going to believe this turn of events!

I looked at some of the threads you so kindly passed on to me, and saw one where Candy mentioned the web site http://euphorbia.de

One of the menu items that caught my eye (no pun intended) was "Beware of the Poison." You see, for the past two days I've had terrible pain and burning in my left eye. I thought it was allergy related, but today it got so bad I was ready to go to urgent care. Finally, resting my eyes and flushing them repeatedly with drops began to help, but I will still have them checked when I go in for a routine check on Thursday. The symptoms were all there on the web site -- extremely painful -- and I remember wondering about the white sap on the Euphorbia I planted on Sunday.

So, there you go, one never knows how helpful information will be when it's given! I certainly know to be careful now. Thanks again.

Kathleen

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 20, 2005
4:50 AM

Post #1414457

Evening Kathleen -

I've tried to remember to always make a note on the Euphorbias that I enter in the PlantFiles of this information about the latex found in Euphorbia (even the non-succulent forms can be problematic). It is important to be careful around them...I have a good sized collection of them and have learned to treat them with respect. I was being completely careless within the last couple of years when I burned my face, not on a specimen in my collection, but in dealing with a Gopher spurge outside the back fence.

Amateur Digest
http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epoisons.htm

Gopher Spurge
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/23709/

So glad you are on the mend, it's a hard lesson to learn.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 9:56 PM
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 20, 2005
5:13 AM

Post #1414493

Kathleen, I'm so sorry about your eye, and I'm so glad that you were able to figure out the cause of this injury. I had heard about the white sap causing eye injury. The white sap in plumerias will also cause eye injury. Do take care of yourself.

Candy, your epi's look great as always, and I predict you will have more flowers than you have ever had before. We'll be watching those buds carefully, especially the unusual-looking ones that haven't bloomed before. Those are cool!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 20, 2005
5:17 AM

Post #1414499

Candy, I'm glad you are all right also. I didn't realize how poisonous Euphorbias are. Thanks for posting those links.
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

April 20, 2005
6:23 AM

Post #1414546

Question, I have heard that the fruit is edible, is that true. Or only on certain species? I really want to know, Norma
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2005
10:16 AM

Post #1414609

I'm glad you started a new thread. I didn't post on the other one, but lurked there occassionally looking for some pretty epi pics.

I've only got 2 epi's that my mom gave me, a pink and a red. The pink is blooming now and the red should be open any day. The buds are huge on the red, at least 6" long. I'll try to get some pics to post.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 20, 2005
12:21 PM

Post #1414716

So glad to see some new faces joining us, welcome!

Clare and Gourd both have flowers and now jody too! Jody send your pics...it's been a long dry spell since last year's flowers!

As we move into the flowering season let's not forget these other tidbits:

None of us have mentioned it lately, but would we all still agree that this is about the world's homeliest plant except when it's blooming????? Not a pretty sight if they live outside and are grown "hard."

And how about those snails???? They are just waiting for you to turn your back. Don't let up on the snail bait just because there are flower buds...those are what the snails wait all year for too! (Just sprinkle a few pellets in the top of the plant and replenish as needed. I've been using Sluggo for a couple of years because it is safe around pets.)

And there are different schools of thought on fertilizing tecniques, but my Epi's are especially hungry this time of year and are getting their regular doses of fish emulsion every couple of weeks.

And we need pictures!! I do believe these are very vain plants and the more pictures you take the more buds you will get during the following seasons! :-)
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 20, 2005
2:39 PM

Post #1414952

Candy, thanks for those reminders! I forgot to get more snail pellets at the weekend and now i need to be doubly sure i don't forget this coming weekend...the plants will all be due for a sprinkle then :-)

And yep, some of the Epis sure wouldn't win any beauty contest as a plant without blooms LOL. Een when every stem is healthy and green and "lovely" the plant's lanky sprawly habit just makes it look like a mess. Oh well...the flowers make it worth it...and the homeliness can be hidden if the plants are growin in hanging baskets...surrounded by other prettier plants like fuchsias ;-)

One of my littler buds got knocked off somehow. Luckily it was the smallest bud of all, so I refuse to be upset about it. I'm focused on that great big one...now about 6 inches long :-)

-Julie
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

April 20, 2005
5:29 PM

Post #1415269

Has anyone bought epi's from Jim's at http://www.epiuniverse.com/zen/ ??
I luv your peach one, Clare.
:) Donna
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2005
5:34 PM

Post #1415280

Here's one of mine from last year. It's a "no name" as far as I know.

K :~D

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 20, 2005
7:39 PM

Post #1415732

Norma, Hylocereus undatus, also called Dragon Fruit, does indeed bear edible fruit which is supposed to be delicious. See this link: http://images.google.com/images?q=dragon fruit&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ii&oi=imagest and http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/dragon/

Candy, thanks for the reminders. I don't have a snail problem fortunately -- at least not in the back patio where my epi's are. They are all in front eating my brugs! I use Corey's Snail Bait, I think it is called. But you are right that the weathered look of epi's that are out all year is not that attractive. Although, I really do like the look of epi's in urns. Costco had some amazing urns that I would love to have for my epi's, but they are more than I can afford at this time. Someday, I will set all my epi's up in urns.

Julie, I'm sorry about your smaller bud. That happened to me too. I am looking forward to seeing your large one!

Thanks, Donna!

K, that pink is awesome!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 21, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1416393

Julie, sorry about Little Bud. :(

Clare - I may have to make a trip to Costco tomorrow to see what they are like. After the big pots are done blooming this year, I'm going to tear them all apart and repot. I think it has been four years since I last did it...will throw out all the existing potting soil, clean up all the fronds and repot in more than the existing three containers. Hopefully I will get them marked for color and size which I keep threatening to do, but never seem to get around to it.

K - I think we have twins...some of mine look just like that!

Donna - I've never bought from him, have you checked the GardenWatchdog? Let us know if you do order plants about condition etc.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 21, 2005
2:20 AM

Post #1416457

Candy, they were a great price for urns -- around $30 each. They were a neat gray color too.

Donna, I've never purchased from him either.

Here is today's picture:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

April 21, 2005
2:33 AM

Post #1416489

There is one comment made and it was good. Someone else had told me about Jim's. I'll keep you posted if I do buy some which I probably will. The problem will be which ones...lol.
:) Donna
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2005
2:39 AM

Post #1416501

Thanks! That is DH's hand, I was taking the pic. His hands are much bigger than mine. Those flowers were huge! I can't wait to see them this year!

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 21, 2005
3:53 PM

Post #1417400

Clare, that flower is sooo beautiful I can't come up with enough superlatives. You must smile every time you look at it.

Kathleen
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 21, 2005
6:22 PM

Post #1417726

Thanks, Kathleen:-) To tell you all the truth, the colored day-blooming ones are beautiful, but it is the white night-blooming fragrant ones which really excite me. I'm a big fragrance buff, and I want all the flowers in my garden to be both beautiful and fragrant, but I make a lot of exceptions:-) I think, for the most part, the day-blooming colored ones are not fragrant and the night-blooming white ones are fragrant; right, Candy? But it is nice to add color to the garden too.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 21, 2005
11:16 PM

Post #1418294

Only my white day blooming ones are extremely fragrant, the pink ones don't have much of a scent at all. Before we moved here 7 years ago my Epis all lived in an enclosed pool area and when the white ones bloomed it was almost overwhelming, similar to the amount a fragrance from a Brug at night in the garden. I don't know if my experience is true of all Epis or not.

Got all involved in the garden today...major pocket gopher invasion, so I never got to Costco today Clare, but am determined to hit there tomorrow and a few nurseries that are on the same course...gotta make that gas usage mean something!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 21, 2005
11:56 PM

Post #1418375

Candy, I know what it is to get wrapped up in the garden as you complete one chore or task after another.

Thanks for the info about the fragrant white day-blooming epi's. I did not know that! I think I do have a white day-blooming one and will check it for scent when it blooms. You may have lucked out and got a special day-blooming scented one because I think most day-bloomers don't have much of a scent, but I could be wrong about that. As my day-bloomers bloom, you can bet I will be sticking my nose in each one and reporting back:-)
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 22, 2005
6:11 AM

Post #1419121

Candy, my E. oxipetalum that I had all those years ago was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fragrant that it made my entire house smell terrific for the whole day after it bloomed (it was inside my house when it bloomed). It looked so sad during the day, but the fragrance lingered so nicely :-) I hope this one will be similar. Although I'm still concerned about the one I have now being a real E. oxipetalum...time will tell either way :-)

-Julie
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 22, 2005
6:12 AM

Post #1419122

Oh and Candy, I meant to say how surprised I was to read that you only moved there 7 years ago! I thought this was a home you'd lived in for decades!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 22, 2005
6:19 AM

Post #1419128

Hi Julie -

Just off to bed here, while you are just getting up...it's a big world out there!

We moved here in 1998, began landscaping spring of '99...this is part of the backyard. Can you tell this is several digital cameras ago????

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 22, 2005
6:20 AM

Post #1419129

And this was 2001. The greenhouse now stands where the arbors were originally located.

salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 22, 2005
11:17 AM

Post #1419240

Candy, I'm, I'm, I'm...speechless! Look at all you've done in just 7 years! In your pics of today it almost seems like your garden has no borders...with so many twists and turns and hideaways. WOW! If you've done all that in 7 years, I REALLY can't wait to see what you'll do with your new gigantic garden! I'll be here, on the edge of my seat :-)

-Julie
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 22, 2005
11:28 AM

Post #1419250

Well, here's an updated pic of my largest Epi buds. Now I'm convinced this is indeed NOT E. oxipetalum. :-( The bud is about to open on the largest one and it isn't anywhere near long enough to be the one I used to have. The bud on my old plant grew to nearly two feet...growing first upwards, then arching downwards and finally the tip of the bud "stem" arched upwards again days before opening...and the flower opened with a slight upwards tilt and was about 8 inches across and had a lovely scent. It opened in mid-July at around midnight and lasted until morning. Classic E. oxipetalum scenario as far as all the literature I've read on it is concerned. So this one that I have now, seeing as it's about to bloom in April and the bud growth habit isn't anywhere similar to what I expected...I just don't think it's E. oxipetalum. I'm sure it will be lovely. And I will adore it. But I'm pretty disappointed seeing as I was so happy to have finally (after a decade of searching) found a replacement for my old plant that I loved so much.

Also, the buds I was so happy about on my rikrak cactus turned out to just be baby stems afterall. Drat! Oh well...

In any case, here's the updated photo of my largest buds on my Epi. :-)

-Julie

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 22, 2005
7:04 PM

Post #1420348

Candy, those pictures are great! I didn't know you had so much room:-) I guess I pictured you living like my brother does in San Francisco in one of those houses so close to each other with barely any gardening room!

Julie, I'm so sorry that you don't have Epiphyllum oxypetalum, but I'm sure that what you have will be beautiful! That bud is huge! I can't wait to see what it is. I bet you will find a Epi oxy one of these days when you least expect it.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 22, 2005
10:32 PM

Post #1420742

I'm hoping that your white one (mayve it will be peach or pinky?) is like mine...extremely fragrant! It looks to be about the right size, I remember one year when I only had one white bloom...but it was 12" across! I've heard that debudding them (like you would a Dahlia to get a show quality bloom) doesn't really work with Epis...the flower is gonna be what the flower is whether you de-bud or not. Don't know if it's true, but I'm not about to try it out. LOL

Clare - we have 1/4 acre because we are way out in the burbs. I guarantee it isn't very big when you take the footprint of the house/garage/driveway out of it. The thing that has really saved me is having the open space beyond the back fence where I have been gardening in a wildland setting for about 5+ years. That's space that I'm now using to propagate cuttings and such for when we move sometime next year.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 23, 2005
12:32 AM

Post #1420965

Oh, my, Candy. I didn't know you are moving. I feel for you. Moving is not easy. I plan to do the same thing, and when that time comes, I'll be propagating like crazy also. Our move will be out of state, and I just don't know how much I will be able to take with me. The worst case senario though is that I will take epi, plumeria, and brug cuttings and throw them in a cardboard box and move them like that and start over. The best case senario is that I can move all my container plants as they are. I hope you are moving to a bigger place:-)
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 23, 2005
12:39 AM

Post #1420980

If we can ever get through the BS of all the paperwork, it will be sometime next year. And it will be bigger and I will be taking at least 75% of my plants with me. That should leave a reasonable amount of plants for a yard this size...besides whoever buys it will probably bull-doze it and put in a big LAWN & POOL!

There's a thread from last summer Field of Dreams:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/448023/
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 23, 2005
1:45 AM

Post #1421098

Candy, that is an amazing thread. I never get over there to that forum, but I should. Congrats on acquiring a wonderful piece of property! How wonderful that will be for you. I'm so jealous. I'm after the same thing as you but can only afford Colorado soil, not California soil. I can't wait to see your new place as it develops and comes together. Congrats on owning a little piece of heaven.
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2005
2:08 AM

Post #1421154

What an incredible piece of land. Congratulations on your success Happenstance, that is an amazing area. As a bit of a newbie to this whole retirement thing, I can relate to all of the things it takes to do the BIG move. When Pam and I left the coast for this bit of land (10ac total/ 5 in use) I was and am still a bit overwhelmed by all of the setup for a combination horse breeding ranch and hopefully a one of a kind garden. After several trips back and forth to Europe, Canada, Mexico, East Coast U.S., and the Midwest purchasing the foundation mares, I got to learn how to build corrals, barns...and all the other structures needed for a horse ranch...the permits, inspections, and red tape were a nightmare I don't want to repeat.

It actually took three years of horsie stuff before I could seriously begin planning and building garden spaces. You are waaay ahead of the game.

What a great spot, cheers to you!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 23, 2005
2:46 AM

Post #1421237

Candy, what a beautiful place you will have. We just moved into our little piece of heaven a year ago last week and though we are still close to traffic (the hwy to the casinos), being able to look out the windows and see pine trees, critters, birds, and mountains is wonderful. DH and I often stand at the window together and just look...

Glad your easement troubles seem to have been mild and here's hoping your grading goes (or has gone?) smoothly. We could have used Arnold around here a few times, too! Wait til the inspectors start --- OY!

Kathleen
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 23, 2005
5:35 AM

Post #1421488

Hey, Clare, there aint nuttin bad about Colorado soil! I'd take it over California any day! Some of the best memories of my childhood are from the years I spent in Colorado :-) And there's nothing in the world that can beat the Rocky Mountains...in my not so humble opinion :-)

-Julie
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2005
12:56 PM

Post #1421687

Yes, beautiful piece of property!!! I'm moving too, in a couple of weeks! I'm so excited!

My 2 epi's are finally blooming!!! :)

This is the smaller flowered one, pink.

Thumbnail by jody

jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2005
12:58 PM

Post #1421688

And this one is reddish/pinkish and HUGE flowers! I've only them for 2 years.

I'm not a very good photagrapher... but at least you get the idea.

Thumbnail by jody

jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2005
12:59 PM

Post #1421691

and this shot I think shows more of the pinkish color in it...

Thumbnail by jody

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 23, 2005
1:06 PM

Post #1421705

Glad you all enjoyed the info about my Field of Dreams...but we have flowers from Jody!

They are wonderful Jody, I especially like the first paler pink. So pretty! Rainy and drizzly again here this morning, hope it burns off and we get some sunshine in the garden. I am assuming you have yours inside or in some sort of GH or sunroom?
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2005
1:24 PM

Post #1421728

Thanks Hap!
Yes, they are in the greenhouse. I'll be putting them out for the summer soon. These things have gotten huge and need to be bumped up a pot size first though. Whoever said they are ugly sure was right! LOL. They look their worst this time of year after being in the cool gh for the winter. At least they have amazing flowers to make up for it.

Rainy here today too with a cold front coming through causing thunder showers. It's ok though, we haven't had any rain for a week or two.
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2005
1:35 PM

Post #1421752

fabulous flowers! Just gorgeous.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 23, 2005
3:00 PM

Post #1421861

Had to come back and take another look at your light pink Jody...I really like it!

I'm losing track of who has flowers that are ready to pop, but I'm betting that Julie is probably gonna be next!

Only my small one in the GH is even close...and it's holding out for warm weather. :-)
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 23, 2005
3:51 PM

Post #1421933

Jody, your flowers are lovely -- that darker one is almost neon.

Kathleen
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 23, 2005
7:32 PM

Post #1422251

Jody, your flowers are awesome! Thanks for posting them!

Julie, thanks so much for the encouragement. It's the short growing season that I am worried about, and I will have to have a greenhouse because my favorites like Brugmansias, Plumerias, and epi's won't be able to live outside during the winter! I've been so spoiled here in that I leave everything outside all year long, and I can play in the garden in barefeet and shorts in January. I won't be able to do that in Colorado! But at least I will be able to afford a home there. Me no likely to be cold! The other thing is I don't want to be old and cold. I can see myself having to go shovel the driveway in 20 years when I'm 60 just to go to the store. I'm a spoiled California girl for sure.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
1:38 AM

Post #1422906

Very pretty Epi's you have Jody.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2005
3:46 AM

Post #1423183

Hoping for alot of trades...I have a white one that gets 12" across flowers that I would love to trade for some colors...Please Please Please...Jumping up and down with a pouty face :o { LOL

That is after yours quit blooming...anyone?

Just thought I'd try...

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2005
4:56 AM

Post #1423274

We can create a trade group after our blooms are gone. Each of us can list how many of which color we have available and can take requests by "first come, first served". Does anyone have a better idea? This is pretty simplistic...I'm sure it can be improved upon. We all would love to increase our personal Epi communities!

Karen :~D
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2005
5:05 AM

Post #1423283

Does this mean I am first ;D?

Just kidding...No not really. Would I be first? Huh Huh Huh...

Ain't I cute :o) LOL.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2005
5:09 AM

Post #1423287

Either that or we can do a "blind" trade. #1 person on the list of participants can start, say, send 5 leaves to #2 person on the list, then that person sends 5 leaves on to the next...might be fun to have to wait to see what we get...might be easier too.

K
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2005
5:16 AM

Post #1423293

Mine took about 7 years to see bloom the first time. Boohoo..I haven't liked anticipation since. I could never find anything but white when I stumbled across them here.

I have small 1&1/2 inch bloom, medium bloom 3-4 inch and the 12 " bloom but all white. The smell is spectacular on the big one. Small ones don't smell too shabby either.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2005
10:43 AM

Post #1423430

May I be included on your trades for the epi's?
Really don't know what I could offer, as I am just now getting started in them due to some very generous traders.

I know that I have a white night blooming epi coming in a trade.

Maxine

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
12:35 PM

Post #1423528

I would love to be included in trading of epi's. I have Night blooming rooted white, red unknown name cuttings, another I was told is Showboat cuttings , but not sure now. Here is the picture.If someone knows the name plmk. It is in bud right now , so I would have to wait until after it blooms.
Patti

Thumbnail by rose318

salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 24, 2005
1:11 PM

Post #1423564

Patti, I don't know the name of yours but is sure is pretty! Thanks for sharing it with us!

-Julie

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
1:16 PM

Post #1423572

Thanks Julie!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 24, 2005
1:16 PM

Post #1423573

Morning Julie -

How close are you to showing us a flower?
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 24, 2005
1:19 PM

Post #1423582

Candy, check out my thread here. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/502995/ Boohooooo...
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 24, 2005
1:26 PM

Post #1423595

Julie, I just went there...I know how you feel. I just had this overwhelming sadness and bottomless pit in my stomach when mine died. I wonder if they couldn't come up with some sort of water proof covering for gardeners who take camera outside.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2005
3:31 PM

Post #1423923

we need camaras built like scuba-diver's camaras! :~D
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 24, 2005
5:21 PM

Post #1424145

These two are getting close! Starting to do that upward swing thing...

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 24, 2005
5:34 PM

Post #1424177

Sorry about that, Julie!

Candy, those are super close! Yay!

I don't have anything to trade at this point. I'm just starting out with epi's, and mine are just putting on some growth. I just cut off a new leaf of a red to trade with Sandy though because I can't resist a white fragrant 12" flower, but that is the last trade I'm going to do for awhile. I'll be able to trade more next year when I have more growth to cut from.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 25, 2005
1:59 AM

Post #1425194

Just a quick announcement to make: I just found a few more buds on some newly rooted cuttings. These were cuttings that I got last year from Antoinette. Yay! That's the good news. The bad news is my schedule is changing again, and I am taking on more work and more classes during the week and on Saturdays, which means I'll be here at Dave's a lot less starting tomorrow. I meant to announce this sooner but time got away from me. I'll certainly check in when I can, but I suspect that most of my free time will be spent watering in the garden. I promise to take pictures and post them when I can.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2005
2:13 AM

Post #1425224

Se la Guerre...
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 25, 2005
3:33 AM

Post #1425415

Don't work too hard, Clare!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 25, 2005
11:18 AM

Post #1425666

Candy, my white one is like a great big fluffy fat egg now. Tonight must be the night! I'm sooooo excited...regardless of whether or not it's an E. oxipetalum or not! LOL I'll let you all know how lovley it is even if I can't post a pic :-)

-Julie
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2005
2:11 PM

Post #1425948

Measurements...we want measurements! :~D
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 25, 2005
3:40 PM

Post #1426106

Well, now the bud is 9 inches long, the bulbous part (from now on referred to as "the flower"), where the actual flower is, is 3 1/2 inches long and 2 1/2 inches across. The flower is 100% effaced and 2 1/2 centimeters dilated ;-). I can see inside of it but none of the petals have stretched outwards yet. I'm about to get that glass of wine I talked about on the last thread :-). This is so exciting!!!!!

-Julie
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 25, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1426113

Oh Julie I wish we could all be at your party! Don't you or maybe a neighbor in need of a glass of wine have an "old fashioned" film camera...effaced and dialated...LOL very apt description.

Keep us posted!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 25, 2005
4:03 PM

Post #1426147

Candy, we've got an old 35mm (not THAT old, but pre-digital) that we never got repaired because we bought the digital. grrrrrrr Oh well. I'll try to get a pic of it on the video camera in half an hour (after the battery has a chance to charge a bit...oops LOL). DH has a program for capturing stills off a video...now just to see if he can find the program and remember how to do it (but he said he'd try, so fingers crossed :-).

-Julie
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 25, 2005
4:06 PM

Post #1426162

Oh, good, DH has redeemed himself. :-)
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 25, 2005
6:56 PM

Post #1426600

Okay ladies, I've got the video and will upload a pic if/when Dh figures out how to capture the stills from the video. The flower is really gorgeous and except for the time of year and the length/growth habit of the bud I'd sware that this flower is an E. oxypetallum. The flower is white, 7 1/2 - 8 inches across, smells heavenly...truly worth the decade wait! :-) Even my DH who typically couldnt' care less about any individual flower said "WOW, that's amazing!" :-) The kids said "That's really cool!" and "It's so beautiful!". So, rave reviews all around :-)

In any case, I've finally decided for sure that it's NOT an E. oxipetalum. Here's what my old one looked like (a REAL E. oxipetalum): http://biodiversity.georgetown.edu/searchfiles/picture.cfm?IDnumber=737&image=3 ... something that looks like it's about to say "Feed me Seymour!" LOL The bud stem on the one I have now isn't even half as long and doesn't do that down the up arch nearly as dramatically as a real E. oxi. But mine is pretty and that makes me happy ... for now... I'll still be on a desperate search for a real E. oxi until I find one (even if it takes me another decade or two!!!)

-Julie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2005
7:25 PM

Post #1426660

Man, I HOPE mine survive! I went to the GARU and left them outside. Temps Friday night were close to freezing, and certainly into hard frost Saturday and Sunday nights. A good friend from 40 miles away came over and brought them inside sometime Saturday.

Only 2 mature ones, but about 20-30 rooted starts...
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 25, 2005
7:40 PM

Post #1426682

Waiting impatiently here...so glad you at least have some record of your beauty!

This message was edited Apr 25, 2005 5:57 PM
corky59
Lakeland, FL

April 25, 2005
9:27 PM

Post #1426931

Hi there, I have mine posted in photos. A big red. Thanks, Sali, know I know what i have. Marilynne
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 25, 2005
9:29 PM

Post #1426935

Hi Marilynne -

Glad you stopped by...why don't you post your big red here too! It really is lovely.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 25, 2005
9:40 PM

Post #1426955

Candy, I can't wait to see if you'll stop by the pollbooth, so I'm gonna say this again here...

Congratulations!!! Happy happy news! :-) When is your daughter due?

-Julie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 26, 2005
12:11 AM

Post #1427249

Thanks so much, Kaperc!

Julie, congrats on your Epi bloom! Doesn't it have to be a Epi oxy if it is a white fragrant night-blooming flower? I think the only other night-blooming fragrant white ones have foliage which look distinct and different; however, there seems to be different hybrids of Epi oxy as not all flowers seem to be the same size.

Candy! Congratulations!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 26, 2005
12:58 AM

Post #1427335

:-) It is the best thing growing in our family this year that's for sure.

She's due in Nov, so we have a long way to go, but I'm already thinking "pink", but would be just as happy w/baby blue. DS & DIL have given us a girl (9) and a boy (7) and DD has a 2 1/2 year old boy. He's my best buddy 2-3 days a week while his mommy works in her vet practice.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 26, 2005
2:00 AM

Post #1427536

We've gone a whole day without any new flower pics...and since I have no flowers YET, I guess I'll have to post some buds. They are progressing, have improved a bit since last week, but still look puny and not as big as they should be. More sun, more warmth, and some hope thrown in that they mature into real flowers!

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 26, 2005
2:01 AM

Post #1427539

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 26, 2005
2:01 AM

Post #1427540

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 26, 2005
2:02 AM

Post #1427543

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 26, 2005
3:25 AM

Post #1427723

They are lookin' good, Candy!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 26, 2005
6:26 AM

Post #1427943

WOW WOW WOW Candy! Now that's a LOT of buds! COOL!

How fun for you that you get to have your grandson 3 times a week :-) And how wonderful and fun for HIM! He must think you have a magical garden with all those lovely plants and fish and frogs and toads and lizards... :-) I'll keep my fingers crossed that her first relevant ultrasound will show pink ribbons in your future :-)

-Julie
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 26, 2005
8:10 PM

Post #1428878

Well, now ... having already given up hope on mine being an Epi oxi, I'm pleased to report that my plant has made up for his species inadequacies by blooming for more than the traditional one night only. It's 27 hours later and he's still just as perky and happy and pretty as he was when he fully opened up last night :-). So what he lacks in species, he made up for in enthusiasm :-)

-Julie (still searching for an Epi oxi though ;-)
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 26, 2005
9:43 PM

Post #1429054

I've got a puffer going here! My guess would be that within hours it will blow right open.

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 26, 2005
11:08 PM

Post #1429217

Wow, Candy, that is a stunning photo! Love the color.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005
1:03 AM

Post #1429502

Here are some updates taken between 5:15 and 5:45pm (the original puffer image was taken around 2:35pm)

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005
1:04 AM

Post #1429508

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005
1:05 AM

Post #1429513

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005
1:05 AM

Post #1429516

drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2005
1:24 AM

Post #1429579

Oh my!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005
2:39 AM

Post #1429827

6:10PM

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005
2:40 AM

Post #1429829

6:11PM

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005
2:41 AM

Post #1429832

7:10PM

drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2005

Post #1429834

Holy bloodstone Batman that flower is redder than Tip O'Neal's cheeks.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005

Post #1429837

7:11PM

drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2005
2:43 AM

Post #1429841

Incredible color Happenstance! just wow.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005
2:45 AM

Post #1429845

The color is a lot more intense than it was last year for sure! The first one of the season is always the most exciting!
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2005
2:46 AM

Post #1429849

Congratulations! It's bloody marvelous!
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2005
3:26 AM

Post #1429917

That is spectacular. I need to own some of that color.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 27, 2005
4:27 AM

Post #1430338

Whoa! What is it, what is it? That color is indescribable!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 27, 2005
6:26 AM

Post #1430446

What a gorgeous one to start you off on a very exciting season! And a great series of photos to honor this first beauty :-)...and what a beauty she is too! I can't wait to see more more more from your garden Candy! :-)

-Julie
MaryEv
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2005
1:50 PM

Post #1430749

I love the time lapsed photography! Thank you!

I'm dying to know, too, what is the species?
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 27, 2005
2:03 PM

Post #1430779

Glad you all enjoyed the birth of this pretty blossom...it is amazing to literally see them open. If you actually sit and watch, you can occasionally see a petal "snap" away from the body of the flower as it opens up.

My three large tubs and this smaller pot cutting that I purchased a year or so ago from a home center are all called Epis, epis, epiphyllum(s). That's what I call them and unless you are into the DNA of plants I doubt that there is a more accurate and/or valid name. These were all purchased as cuttings, some as long ago as 25 years.

Here is the San Diego Epiphyllum Society's take on "What is an Epiphyllum?"
http://www.epiphyllum.com/epiwhat.htm

The Epis that I purchased from Epis by Pat last year all have names, but it will probably be next year before any of them bloom.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 27, 2005
9:59 PM

Post #1431935

Yes, even my husband said 'wow' over those photos. Walking Iris are like that when they open, one petal at a time -- I always feel like a kid in science class.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 27, 2005
11:47 PM

Post #1432197

Gorgeous color, Candy! Congrats!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 28, 2005
12:57 AM

Post #1432397

And then there were two.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 28, 2005
1:44 AM

Post #1432504

Those are gorgeous Candy..

Thanks to Dell support, I'm back..lol
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 28, 2005
1:45 AM

Post #1432508

Thanks Gourd...are you sure it wasn't "bugs" that got your machine? Like termite kinda bugs???? LOL
weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1432717

Here is my Epi pic, which is blooming now.

Thumbnail by weeding

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 28, 2005
4:10 AM

Post #1432859

ooooh, i love those wavy petals. The color is outstanding.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2005
4:16 AM

Post #1432871

Ohh, I love it!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2005
5:00 AM

Post #1432940

You guys have lovely babies! You must be very proud!
corky59
Lakeland, FL

April 28, 2005
9:35 AM

Post #1433096

Okay, Me and Salvia think this is an Epi? Let us know?

Thumbnail by corky59

corky59
Lakeland, FL

April 28, 2005
9:38 AM

Post #1433098

Here is the whole plant. a biggy

Thumbnail by corky59

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 28, 2005
10:45 AM

Post #1433122

Cynthia, do you happen to know the name of your Epi?

Gorgeous color and formation on the petals.

Maxine

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2005
1:28 PM

Post #1433375

Corky it sure looks like my Epi...
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2005
3:22 PM

Post #1433588

That's what my Epi oxypetalum looks like.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 28, 2005
3:37 PM

Post #1433611

I would think that K is correct with the E. oxypetalum ID...the growth habit is a lot different than that of the Epi hybrids we've been posting images of. The leaves are a lot thinner, wavy, and get those long thin "stems." Take a look at this link and see if it doesn't look like your plant.

http://www.kammlott.net/Eoxypetalum2000.html

On the other hand, Julie knew what she was looking for and has determined that hers is not an E. oxy...

I have two plants like yours. Have not bloomed yet and don't like cold wet weather...they are suffering after a winter in the greenhouse. :(
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2005
3:40 PM

Post #1433618

Let it get rootbound Corky and you will know for sure what it is. Mine wants tight shoes before it gives me bloom.

K
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 28, 2005
4:33 PM

Post #1433781

This is getting really long again, so I've started a PART TWO thread:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/504384/
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 28, 2005
8:10 PM

Post #1434227

Candy, nope I wasn't determined, the guy that owns the cactus and succulent market was determined. I was just too eager to believe ;-). I knew it didn't look like what I remembered, but I told myself that my 10 year old memory must've gotten muddled. It hadn't. I was also thinking that Corky's was an Epi oxy, but I didn't want to say so until you more experienced Epi lovers took a look. In any case, when she gets a bloom, I for one will be on the edge of my seat waiting for a look at it :-)

-Julie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1437174

OMG - I looked at that link and I am totally drooling!!!
RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2005
2:03 PM

Post #1437732

Hi everybody,
I just wanted to let you know I have been lurking on your most wonderful Epi threads and I am really enjoying your gorgeous flowers.
The amount of Epis I have are only limited by my growing room. But I learned this Winter that I can overwinter some of these pots in my garage!! So that is good news. :-)
About Corky's Epi? From here it looks like Epi oxypetalum to me! Oxypetalum has alternating margins along the pad, hers does too. In nature, long skinny shoots would develop roots for climbing and holding on, with pads growing out from that. Looking at the pictures, I would think that Corky's plant has a lot of new tender growth, it looks like a fairly young plant? But to be sure of the id, one always has to see the flowers.
My Epis are now all on the deck, and I noticed some very tiny buds starting on my red one. I moved the monster oxypetalum out yesterday evening. It got a natural pruning that way.
btw I am the kammlott.net person, tickled pink to see my link here.

Ursula
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 30, 2005
2:09 PM

Post #1437740

Oh Ursula, those are your wonderful pictures??!!

So glad you joined us and hope you stick around and help us with ID's and some wonderful blooms to share! If you have images to share, try posting them to the new thread which continues this saga since this one is again getting really long!

Your plants are wonderful!!

Here's the continuation of this thread:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/504384/
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 30, 2005
2:43 PM

Post #1437809

Ursula, I'm sitting here so envious! Your E. oxipetalum is so lovely! Why oh why can't I find an E. oxipetalum?!?!?!?!!? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! What I wouldn't do for a small little cutting...if only I could find someone here in Israel with one they were willing to share a bit of :-(

-Julie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2005
8:13 PM

Post #1438574

Those are great pictures, Ursula!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 21, 2006
6:39 PM

Post #2208937

I thought I would bump this thread up to the top as it has a lot of great information.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

February 7, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4505410

Lots of good information here for those with questions!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 PART TWO Happenstance 131 Feb 26, 2008 2:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America