Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tomatoes: cure for spotted wilt virus?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 1, Views: 299
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardening_gal
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 25, 2001
9:42 PM

Post #7164

Hi, everyone,

I'm new to the forum and wondered if anyone has any idea how to combat tomato spotted wilt virus. I have three tomato plants that have been very healthy and producing nicely. One of them, however, has produced two tomates with concentric rings and has leaves at the bottom of the plant that are starting to yellow or spot. A master gardener's web site I visited diagnosed the problem as spotted wilt virus. I checked around for ideas on how to kill the virus once it's present or at least keep it in check, but no such luck. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Gardening Gal in Jacksonville, Florida
Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2001
2:16 AM

Post #86975

Cut off the infected leaves and discard (out of the garden area). Give them a boost with manure tea. This should help but probably will not cure. Be sure to plant them in a different location next year if you are sure you have spotted wilt virus. It is not uncommon for the bottom leaves on tomato plants to "yellow" after they start to bear fruit and usually does no harm. Not sure about spots, I've never had that problem. Good luck!

Big_Red

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America