Today's hike to old gold mine

Eatonton, GA

Havn't photographed but a few of the finds.
Will add later.

This is an attempt to shoot down the shaft, but can't get close enough without risking a LONG fall !
The background is the beginning of a very deep vertical wall.

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

Opposite side of lip of shaft.
Wish they were better, but would need some way to get out over the center of the shaft with camera and strong light.

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

Looking up toward the location where the shaft was sunk.
Pic doesn't show how isolated this mound is, nor how steep the sides are !
It is shaped a bit like a volcano.

Boy, it's taking a long time for DG to take these posts !

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

A couple of my friends who made this long hike with me

As I was on my knees taking this pic, the leaves began to rustle about three feet away.
Below is what it turned out to be !

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

Nine banded Armadillos

This message was edited Apr 20, 2005 12:31 AM

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

Red qtz, some with tiny inclusions of gold.
I'm going to have it tested just to satisfy my curiosity.
I have already held my lighter to a piece, and there was no HS gas odor, whitch should eliminate Pyrite.

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

One more of the Armadillo

Thumbnail by pwalker
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice pics Perry. I don't think I've ever seen armadillo babies before. When you heard the rustling in the leaves did you think snake? I'd be interested in what your assayer reports concerning potential gold percentage when he exams your specimens. Did the geologist accompany you on your expedition?

Eatonton, GA

Not enough hours in the day this time of year, J !
I'll have a lot of catching up to do on DG, when things slow down a bit.
First time for me also !
I can't believe they have made it up to Illinois, or have you seen them elsewhere?
Yes, A snake WAS the first thing I thought about with the rustling leaves.
I moved over a little so I could see what was going on, and out popped the little
fellers head. Itn was quite an experience !

The Geologist did go with me, and he found the site very interesting. He had not seen qtz. with those kinds of markings, but confirmed what I thought he meant by "Mineralization" : Another mineral crystalized while the qtz. was still in solution, prolly another "Silicate"

As far as the gold; I took a specimen to a jewler friend to test it.
The test kit uses a black abrasive stone, where the metal is scrubed against it and the resulting streak is subjected to reagents that are specific for 10, 14 18, and 24 karat gold.
There was no way to scrub the tiny imbedded gold fleck on the stone, so I put a drop of the 18K reagent directly on the gold. Normally when the gold is streaked on the stone, the reagents are dropped onto it and the streak will dissappear with one of the chemicals. In the case of my specimen, the 18k reagent dispersed the gold into tiny beads, like mercury does when it's dropped on a surface. So, I need to do some more research to see if some light can be shead on my findings.
Also, I would like to have a piece of the qtz. assayed for yield, but, I will have to find out where a lab that does that is located.
Bill, the geologist is trying to find some history on this mine, and that will be interesting too !

Well it's 4am I'll see you tomorrow

Perry

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Saw grown armadillos last year in Texas. My daughter graduated, she's in Houston. Most of my interaction with armadillos has been confined to cartoons and crude jokes about road pizza.
Does your state play host to dangerous snakes? One of the sites I often go to for geodes occasionally has some. I'm pretty sure they fall into the no-danger list.
Nevertheless, I always remember a story my grandmother told me about how, when she was actively gardening, they found one next to a tree near their garden and had to exterminate it with a shovel. The story goes it was a timber rattler. My grandparents lived on this side of the Illinois River and I collect geodes directly across on the far side. The landscape of both sides are virtually identical . If one side can host a rattler the other side can too - so goes my reasoning. ...
Please keep me apraised of developments regarding the mine.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Great pics, I can't wait to hear the results!!! Keep us posted, Annie

Eatonton, GA

Congrats to your daughter, J !

Georgia has all the Pit Vipers [ several species of rattlers, Copperhead and Cottonmouth ]
Like the armadillo who migrated up here from Florida, so did the Coral Snake, and they have made it at least as far north as we are.
So, yes, there is no shortage of venomous snakes here !

The Northern Timber Rattler is very dark, where out Southern Timber Rattler is very well marked and relatively easy to spot.
I don't know about the temperament of the Northern one, but the Southern one is docile and non-aggressive, unless you step on him.
The only places I would feel a little vulnerable is walking through tall grass where you can't see the ground, and stepping over logs or large rocks.

I'm gonna post some more rock pix from the mine, below

And, I will keep you posted !

Perry

Eatonton, GA

Thanks, Annie !
There's no imagined pecuniary lure to this mine, just the interest in its environment and history.
I've done a good bit of reading about gold and gold mining and find it fascinating.
Did you know that gold is virtually everywhere, in trace amounts. But there would be no economically feasible way to recover it.

Perry

Eatonton, GA

Here you can see the gold dispersed when the acid was droped on the larger piece. You can also see the pattern where the acid etched the qtz.

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

Maybe this one shows it even better, particularly the acid etch pattern.

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

The lighting and angle of the shot makes the gold look more like platinum or silver,
but you can see the metalic character of the deposit better in this one.
Reminds me of some of my earlier, learning, welds !

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

I thought at first this green material was just algae, but with a closer look, it appears to be another mineral,
maybe one of the copper salts

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

I thought this red qtz was attractive.

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

Another strangly marked piece of qtz.This one has a lighting bolt design

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

This cavity penetrates all the way through the rock

Thumbnail by pwalker
Eatonton, GA

Last one !

Close up of the entry of whatever made these intrusions into tons of qtz.

Thumbnail by pwalker

Perry, You are finding the neatest stuff there, I'm envious for sure! It would be so much fun to go on a gold dig!!!
Annie

Eatonton, GA

It IS fun, Annie, and so is the research related to it.
The most striking thing about this site is the markings on the qtz., that was removed.
No one I've shown the pieces to has ever seen anything like it.
Did DH ever take a look at it?

Perry

Between the flu, the stupid computer problems, I think he's finally got a handle on it, I hope anyhow! his Dad, I was cooking all day yesterday and today! this is Passover weekend for us, We just got home! And again tommorrow with my Family in San Jose!
I think I can finally post more pics that I couldnt find, his/mine Ifoto did not match somehow!!
But I will try to pin him down Sunday morning!!! He sure liked your joke, lol, Annie

Eatonton, GA

Was that grotesque, or was that grotesque??????

Perry

Perry, I don't get the last statement! Annie

Eatonton, GA

The first one I sent, Annie; "The Crack"

Perry

Oh, lol, I'm kinda slow, lol, may catch a little late, but do in the end, Annie

Eatonton, GA

Did ya notice there was a second person, piloting the bike? He was all but obliterated !

Perry

LOL LOL, Annie

Dahlonega, GA

Pwalker , do you know Eufaula there in Eatonton ? She's a DG'r. We live up here in Dahlonega, Was your mine in this area or out west . We're going to take her gold prospecting next summer . This is an old thread , and you might have prospected in this area by now , but after March 2010 , we'll be home and you are welcome to attend any of our meetings with us . Digger

Miramar Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I love this thread and would love to read more. I wonder if Perry is still in Eatonton - home of Uncle Remus! Kaolin is mined in that area - the purest deposits on Earth.

Eatonton, GA

Hey digger,
Haven't checked in on DG in a while. Saw your post today.
I don't know Eufaula by her DG name, but may know her by her given name.
However, Eatonton isn't the sleepy little town it was when we moved here in 1970.
The lakes, particularly Lake Oconee, have brought in hoards of people from all over.
We have had the experience of going out to eat in this area and not recognizing any of our fellow diners.

"The gold mine", if in fact that is what it is, and not just a quartz mine, is located here in Middle Ga. We have tried to research some history about the site, but came up short as far as any geological info.

The interesting thing about the site is the strange markings in the quartz, shown above.
We surmised that these indentures were left by the erosion of a softer crystalline mineral.

Haven't visited the site in a while, because of other commitments and the fact that the mine is a two mile hike from the nearest road.
To possibly see more than what I have shown in the pix would require packing in some gear to descend the vertical shaft and explore the sides and bottom and the one lateral offshoot. The exit of the lateral shoot is covered with tons of debris, making it a blind shaft. It would require an awful lot of digging, just to get through the leaf and limb litter, and then there may be much quartz rubble below that, blocking the opening.

Really appreciate the invite to join Y'all, next year. We will certainly keep it in mind.

Thanks,
Perry

Eatonton, GA

Hey Youngbb,
I was one of the founders of this thread. I'm glad that folks seem to enjoy it.
I was very active on DG at one time, but just don't have the time to devote to it now.
Maybe I can still sneak a little time now and then.
Yes, we are still here in "Uncle Remus" country. There is a museum[ an old log cabin], devoted to Joel Chandler Harris, and the building where he first worked as a reporter, still stands.

The kaolin line lies south and east of us, in Wilkinson, Twiggs, and Washington counties.
As far as I know, only some Felspar and other Granites were mined here in Putnam Co..
Jasper Co., adjacent to us, has vast deposits of, I think, potassic Felspar. A quarry, that I once had access to has been re activated and is now closed to the public. It had some very pretty specimens of pink Felspar studded with Mica.

Nice to meet you, Youngbb,
Perry

Hey Perry,
I know the area well, my Dad is from Irwinton - Wilkinson County. The Hatfields (not related to the McCoy's) were some of the first settlers there and my Aunt was married to a Carswell. My cousin is a nurse at the hospital in Milledgeville. I have ridden 4 wheelers on one of the Kaolin company's land in Irwinton and I worked at a law firm who handled legal work for Huber. When I was young I went out to Huber after a rain (with permission) and found lots of artifacts - since its right on the fall line. We get up to Macon to see my Mother's family - between Macon, Byron and Warner Robins.
Beverly

Eatonton, GA

Wow Beverly, It never ceases to amaze me how cyberspace has made our world even smaller.
My Wife's family hails from Wilkinson Co. as does my BIL's . We lived in Washington Co. for a period, and, have friends who were geologists for one of the kaolin companies there.
I was born and raised in M,ville, and have had two knee surgeries recently at Oconee Regional. If your cousin works in the O.R., she may have attended me on one of those procedures.
We have good friends, here in Eatonton, named Carswell. Not sure if they originated in Wilkinson Co.
Our son has an office in Macon.
It's likely that we know some of the same people, if you would like to compare notes, let's do it on d-mail.

Regards,
Perry

Eatonton, GA

Beverly,
One more quick note : I knew "Miramar" rang a bell.
I made a dive onto an old Russian freighter in about 80 ft. of water off your coast, a "few" years back. In fact, I think the charter boat was named Miramar.
The visability wasn't that great at that depth on that particular day, but I remember seeing a lot of stone Fish on the bottom and some schools of Jack around the carcass of ship.
The highlight of the dive was finding and bringing back to the dive boat a six foot octopus.
It took four of us to pry him off the deck and return him to the sea.

P

Dahlonega, GA

Good grief , stay out of that mine . I'd like for you to live long enough for me and dh to meet you . My friend is the administrator at the christian thrift store across from the Horton mobile home mfg . plant . Be back in Georgia in April '10

Nice Dive!

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

I have not been on in a while, two knee replacement surgeries have slowed me in the garden, but should be back at it this spring. Hope all is will with you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images