Photo by Melody

Garden Shed: Know of any Web Sites for Potting Shed?

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 37, Views: 846
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2005
6:05 PM

Post #1415326

I gleaned Home And Garden Network (HGTV). Anyone else have any web sites so I can get an idea of what to tell my DH to build for me?

Thanks,
Linda

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2005
3:35 PM

Post #1419916

There might be some in these links: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=potting+shed+plans&btnG=Search

Also, Lowe's and HD (especially Lowe's, here anyway) have some nifty DIY books that have good ideas. I hope you'll show us your progress along the way ;o)
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2005
3:55 PM

Post #1419953

Thanks Terry. Never thought to do a Google. Duh!!
mysticwill
Brookhaven, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2005
4:18 PM

Post #1420009

http://www.spiritelements.com/

We saw the most beautiful one there and my DH is going to build me a modified one this year. He is going to borrow some ideas form the Brighton Potting shed and the Calgery Sun Shed.

Great for ideas! Very $$$$$

Heather

bggarden1
Olive Branch, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2005
3:34 AM

Post #1437219

Linda,

My husband built my potting shed in 1999. We searched and searched for plans and couldn't find what we wanted. I finally found a book by Teri Dunn, " Potting Places". On page 68/69 I found what I was looking for, we of course modified it to my likings. Attached is a picture. It is wonderful... I get alot of compliments on it. It is very functional and looks great. He did a wonderful job. Good luck with your search...

Thumbnail by bggarden1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2005
3:00 PM

Post #1437845

Looks great. Do you have running water or a dry sink in it? Also am looking for ideas to go inside the shed. Like how to hang your tools and how is the table set up. Any ideas for the inside will help?
What do you mean by functional? Linda
bggarden1
Olive Branch, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2005
5:19 PM

Post #1444636

Linda,
I don't have running water inside, but I do catch rain water in a large drum outside. There is no attice, it has the vaulted ceilings and a loft over the front porch, great for storage. When you walk in the front door the back wall is all shelves with a counter about 30 inches deep. It is tall enough I can stand and work at it, I have curtains hanging in front of it to hide all of my pots and such. I also have 2 potting tables. If I need to, I can sit and pot plants at them. I did that because of a bad back. On each side on the door when you walk in is cabinets, one is made out of an old ammo box. My husband just stood it up right and attached it to the wall. There are double windows on both sides , so I get good air flow and light. To store my tools he just built a rack out of wood , about 4 inches deep and 30 inches long, kinda of like a towel rack and I slide my shovels, hoes, forks down in it. I do have electricity and would eventuly like to have running water. I keep my potting soil and peat moss in tubs under the tables.

I guess what I mean by functional, is the convenience of being able to pot plants and not have to kneel on the ground. I am getting to old for that , :-) Everything is right there in the shed. I don't have to look for it in the garage or my husband's workshop. For so many years I had nothing. And now I am so greatful for what I do have. It is so nice to be able to have everything in one spot.

I'll send some pictures of the inside. Sorry if I seemed to go on and on about it, but it has been a blessing for me. I am so fortunate to have a husband that likes to build. All I have to do is mention that I would like to have something and he'll build it.

RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2005
10:24 PM

Post #1445247

My husband is the same way. He is hoping to complete this project before Fall comes around. They truly are a blessing.

Thanks for all the details. I am trying to think of everything I need to make this a sucess instead of saying, "I wish I would have thought of this earlier." I would love to see pictures.
Thanks also for mentioning the windows. I had not thought of air flow on those hot days.

Linda
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2006
2:41 AM

Post #3037970

Did you get a shed? I'd love to see photos. I'm interested in a shed too.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3063840

Give this a shot. http://betterbarns.com/Barns.asp
alyrics
Beachwood, OH

January 8, 2007
3:00 AM

Post #3063865

No research on sheds would be complete without taking a look at this one http://shedhouse.com/

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 8, 2007
7:20 AM

Post #3367736

Here's a neat garden shed we built for some people a couple years ago.
No running water, but cable TV & Electricity. Wired for stereo music, too.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2007
9:34 AM

Post #3367978

It is like a home away from home. Almost!! Very nice.
Linda
clynnbwell
Franklin, TX

April 8, 2007
9:44 AM

Post #3367998

Southern Living magazine has plans available for almost anything. In this month's magazine they showed a picture of a "Shed with Style". No details in the magazine but their plans service has more detail at ---
http://www.southernliving.com/southern/gardens/landscape/article/0,28012,690530,00.html
They have some great ideas; also, rather fancy.

Good Luck...

CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #3388893

CountryGardens that's a little close to home around here. I see houses that people use to live in that look very much like that shed. Most of the people seem to have a single wide parked next to the sheds now so I don't think anyone still lives in them. I'm not 100% on that.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #3388978

Here's a really nice little (12'x8') potting shed.

Thumbnail by Dann_L

giftsolution
New Market, VA

June 27, 2007
8:28 PM

Post #3666466

Oh Dan,

That shed is so cute!

Here is another shed site you can get ideas: http://www.outdoorsstoragesheds.com/
missmarysgarden
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 10, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #3720142

My husband built a garden shed onto the back of our detached garage, with a "covered porch" adjacent (hard to describe - I need to figure out my camera). Our garage sits back on the lot a bit, in an area where all the other houses have attached garages, so this just adds to our backyard privacy as well.

We have a sliding barn door on the shed - which is strictly utilitarian on the inside, but with lots of shelves and cubbies, and a loft for winter storage. The "covered porch" (lean to style with an extension of the garage roof) is like a little outdoor room with a great view of the daylily gardens, with comfy outdoor furnishings. It was done quite inexpensively. As a bonus, my DH can stand under the roof and barbeque as the grill is set on gravel outside the roof line.
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3720725

Great ideas Mary. I like the idea of building lofts.
Linda
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #3830178

We just finished our garden shed, its 10x18, two sections, the left is for storage and the right is my potting shed (and unplanned by us, our granddaughter's play house). On the right side of the potting shed is a cabinet top with sink and running water. Potting soil etc. is stored in plastic containers under the cabinet. On the left is a wall of shelves, some open and some with doors that can lock for things I don't want kids to get into. Almost immediately granddaugter began to take things to "play house" on part of the bottom shelf. So I got her some plastic dishes to play with. She loves to play while I work/play!

On the outside are some shelves to put pots and trays of cuttings that I am trying to root. It will have electricity soon. I have a ceiling fan to put in. I decided on the screen so I could feel like I'm outside, get a breeze and block out the mosquitos here in south Texas. It did cost more to do that because I had to use treated lumber because it would be exposed to water/rain. It has a concrete floor that can be washed out, I love that I don't have to be careful in there to keep it dry or clean. I'll send a photo of the inside.

The idea for this shed came from www.hometime.com. The original plan was smaller and had a 7' tall base wall, this one has an 8' wall (or whatever length studs are). I chose this plan because it was simple to construct. I had enlisted anyone who would volunteer to help or that I could make feel obligated to help!

This message was edited Aug 8, 2007 9:51 PM

Thumbnail by barbur

barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #3830190

Opps the photo was cropped. I'll try to send the inside photo.

Thumbnail by barbur

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #3831322

Wow! That row of windows up at the top of the vaulted ceiling look great. What a WONDERFUL space you've created there!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #3834406

Here's a couple photos of my garden shed. The first is from the outside...

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3834426

Here's one part of the inside. I also do my crafts (like pot painting) and have some of my collectibles in it just so I can be surrounded by things I like. In the first photo you can see my garden sink that is just outside of the shed. It is the original antique kitchen sink from our farmhouse. It has a dry well underneath it so that I can wash off my veggies, etc. and the water goes down the drain into the ground below the shed. I store things inside the sink cabinet, like my trowels, etc.. I also have a well head right next to the sink.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3834457

One last picture of the front porch up close...garden sheds are really fun to make your own. Mine is in the shade until around noon, so it is a great place to take a break from weeding and other things...

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #3835123

Gardenwife, the glass is recycled from old paintings or broken glass. I don't do my own framing anymore and had kept the glass on my inventory. This was a good way to get rid of it. The frosted glass is nonglare glass, which doesn't serve any purpose, it was just available.

DonnieBrook, I love the design and colors of your garden shed. It reminds me of when we were in Germany. They had what looked like community gardens with cute little sheds on the plots. I'm posting the only photo that I have. When I was going to design my shed I wished I had taken more photos.

Thumbnail by barbur

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
6:05 PM

Post #3836800

Barbur - Thanks! Yours is awesome! And that view!! I also really like the inside of yours, and it would be great to have running water and electricity in mine. I have neither, but in the summer months when I use it, I don't really need electricity, and my sink is just a hop, skip and a jump away, so it works fine for me. I collected a lot of photos of potting sheds for awhile, and so I got some ideas from those. I guess it is the playhouse I never had!! :)

The floor in mine is wood with an old, threadbare oriental carpet on it. I do my messy stuff out in my garden sink, so I don't need the concrete or brick floor. But if I were doing the actual potting and using water inside, I'd go with something washable. I think the design depends on how it will be used more than anything. Mine has 3 windows - one to the north, east and west, so I can catch a peak at the deer and other critters that come into our meadow and orchard. I also have to keep mine stocked with dog treats and my Molly's dog bed, because she thinks it was built for her pleasure. I have to share half of my shed with the rototiller and other garden machines, so I have a screen and two shelves that serve as the center "wall" that partitions it.
PrimroseSue
Medway, MA
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3945201

DonnieBrook - I love the inside of your shed - good use of space!
And barbur - I, too lived in Germany briefly and have fond memories of those cute little gardens. I was amazed that the people would pack up and "camp out" there for the day, taking along grills and coolers.
Here's a shot of my modest shed. I just use it for storage - it's too tiny for any actual potting. This building originated as my kids treehouse. So when they got tired of it, I claimed it. Luckily, my husband had built it to be moveable. I still dream of a larger one that I can put a rocking chair in like DonnieBrooks!
Just a note about the stone steps in the picture - about 5 years ago our 200-year-old farmhouse burned down (smoldering sparks from the wood stove; and we were all out of the house when it happened). My resourceful husband made two sets of steps with the foundation slabs and put up stone walls all over the place, with no prior experience!

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3945534

Adorable shed, Sue! You have transformed it into a wonderful, charming little spot! I LOVE the stone walls! I am so sorry that you had such a horrible thing happen. To tell you the truth, we too have a 250+ year old farmhouse with a wood cooking stove in the kitchen, and I am so nervous about fire. We did a similar thing with the bricks from the beehive oven from 1763 that were part of the first structure just outside our house now. My husband dug up all the bricks (some had the maker's stamp on them) and built an outdoor fireplace and BBQ pit with armitures capped with blue stone. He had to add a few "modern" bricks to make the armitures. On the chimney he set in an original grinding stone we dug up near the old fireplace. Isn't it nice to be able to recycle the old materials? I just wish yours had not been from such a traumatic event.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2007
6:45 AM

Post #3946451

Wow, you both really live(d) in "This OLD House". Ours was built in 1954...Just a baby of a home.
PrimroseSue
Medway, MA
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #3947631

Actually, DonnieBrook, the fire was a blessing in disguise. I had a love/hate relationship with the old house. It had the charm of wide plank floors, low ceilings, door latches, and quirky sized rooms - but it needed ALOT of work, of which we just didn't have the funds for. We heated exclusively with a wood stove (a nice "All-Nighter" left from the previous owner) and the walls had no insulation, so it did get cold. Every Feb/March a nest of ants, which lived in the dining room walls and we couldn't seem to get rid of, came alive and were everywhere. I don't miss them at all!
We now have a modest, pre-fab, Cape set on the same place as the old house, and we still have the old barn - which is my husband's playground. We're not against wood stoves, but chose not to put one in this house because we didn't want soot in a new house. But I do miss the smell and the warmth!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2007
10:22 PM

Post #3948678

Sue - I'm glad you are able to look at the positive, and that you have a nice new home with all the modern benefits. We have no insulation and lots of issues, but we do love it. Every room is a challenge, as you say, but the house has such a good vibe to it, and we try not to focus on the "issues", and just enjoy the challenge and the cozy feel of it. We put in a heating system (not an easy thing to do!) after some 240 years that the house had only a wood cook stove. We had to have the stove taken completely apart, the firebox replaced and then put back together beautifully. That was big dollar, but so worth it. I have even cooked a Thanksgiving turkey in the stove part...a true challenge to keep the fire even enough. We have upgraded the kitchen to the extent that we could, and we added a nice living room and dining porch in the back corner of the house (the house is an ell and we "filled in" the corner with a room that has a vaulted ceiling and lots of glass. From the front of the house, it looks the same as it did in 1807 after the ell was added.

gardenwife - yes, I guess you are right. My husband and I love to watch "This Old House"...Houses of any age are fun if you make them your own. We have lived in very modern houses, Victorian houses and this one...all had their pros and cons!
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #4019026

Its neat to see what you've done with what you've got. On the Texas coast almost all of our old buildings have been destroyed in hurricanes. I admire the old homes, barns and sheds that I see in the inland areas of the country. I had dreamed of a quaint old looking building for our garden shed but when the opportunity came I designed a practical building that people without a lot of building experience (like us!) could build. We had all "volunteer" labor--anyone we could make feel obligated to help! And it had to be affordable and practical. It has a ceiling fan for our sweltering heat and is built to code to withstand 120 mile per hour winds. (We might have to make a decision whether to stay in our house or the garden shed next time there is a hurricane threat.) I do really enjoy it, even though it doesn't look like what I dreamed of.

I love rocks but we have none here, I'm tempted to be jealous of my sister who lives in the San Antonio area where they have so many rocks that they even build fences of rocks until I remind myself that they have trouble planting because they have so little soil. So I'll continue to admire your old historical structures that you've built (or restored) from "the cards that you've been dealt!"

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #4021361

Barbur - I'd love to see a photo of your shed...I find it so interesting to see how others do them...yours sounds interesting to me!
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #4036984

Donnie, It's an earlier post on this thread, just above the photos of your shed.

I did a mundane chore this morning, washing pots. Since My shed has a cabinet top with a sink it was very plesant (with the ceiling fan going!). I didn't have to bend over buckets sloshing arount with a hose. I could admire the fruits of my labor, looking out the screen windows. I love it!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4038364

Oh, Barbur, I just went back up to your post...yeah, I love your shed...how cool to wash your pots in such a neat setting! Sorry I forgot "to whom" I was speaking! LOL

Here's a later view of my shed...

Enjoy your fall clean-up...I'm doing the same stuff!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 1, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #4038396

http://www.amazon.com/Potting-Shed-Smith-Hawken-Hardcover/dp/0761101616/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2873898-2292923?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191281331&sr=1-1

PrimroseSue
Medway, MA
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #4041934

I have the book that Gloria linked to - The Potting Shed, by Smith & Hawken. It's one of those books that I drool over!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America