Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cacti and Succulents: Aloe Survivor?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 2, Views: 216
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bucky
Brownville, NY
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2001
12:05 PM

Post #7214

I have an aloe that's been thru hell. It was number one on the cat's 'knock over and play with' list for 6 months straight. Needless to say, there was almost nothing left of the root system when the cat decided to move on to new and exciting plants. I stuck what was left of the plant in a bit of water, to see if it would root at all (yes I know, a no-no with aloes). I got some new roots after a few weeks, then transplanted it back into a C&S mix in it's old terra cotta pot. That was a few months ago. Now it's sending out new growth, but the older leaves are shriveling up at the ends and curling inwards on themselves. For every new leaf put out, and old one shrivels. Because of the damaged root system, should I just be patient and let the plant stabilize itself- or is it a goner?
cactusmcharris
Kamloops, BC
(Zone 4b)

June 26, 2001
1:07 PM

Post #87102

Dear Bucky,

I am truly surprised that it is growing at all - usually putting them in water is a sentence of death. The old leaves die off, and new ones take their place - that's how aloes grow. You might, in the future, just let a aloe lie in a cool place for it to develop roots. after about a month it will begin to do so. The plant sounds like it will live, but don't fuss too much with it. Good that you saved it!
BotanyBob
Thousand Oaks, CA

July 2, 2001
5:53 AM

Post #89282

Amazingly some Aloes can handle the sit-in-the-water-technique to root out... as long as it's really warm, or the Aloe is very cold tolerant, they will rapidly root if left in water. I have accidentally done this several times to several different species... and a couple times on purpose, and have yet to have an Aloe rot on me this way... though I don't recommend this as a routine procedure.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America