Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: Brugmansia pictures for identification

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 15, Views: 395
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 26, 2001
2:19 PM

Post #7222

http://kirchner-abel.de/index.htm
http://www.nativehabitat.com/plants.html
http://www.lebonjardinier.com/brugmansialist.htm
http://www.ethnobotanicals.com/PureLandCatalogAC.html
Sites that have pictures for identification of Brugmansia and Datura or just plain seeds, cuttings, etc of the Brugmansia you may be interested in. Some of these sites also have listed other rarities in the Solanaceae family. Hope you all enjoy these sites.

tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2001
3:19 PM

Post #87161

oh man!!! I drooled all over the keyboard! :( somebody got a towel???
Thanks for the links Brug, now I'm even more in love with these beauties:)
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2001
4:03 PM

Post #87182

COOL LINKS
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 26, 2001
4:05 PM

Post #87184

Tig,
You know whats funny, I got hooked on Brugmansia based on the fragrance first and the flower last. You people love the pictures enough to get hooked though. Incredible. Actually, the nursery I visited had several fully grown Brugmansia trees with blooms all over them. I told them I liked fragrant flowers and that they were unusuall, but not worth gambling on. Thats how I got my first Brugmansia, the Jamaican was given to me as a gift. The first blooms fragrance was the last straw I could handle. Sure, there are hundreds of beautiful Brugmansia out there, but the best to me are the ones loaded down to the hilt with sweet highly fragrant Brugmansia. Now, I must confess, I like to have color with the fragrance. I have only kept one of my own white hybrides as the fragrance on that hybrid was so much stronger than anything else I had grown. And yes, I do have a few whites like the Cypress Garden, Versicolor alba, aurea white, and an old victorian white suaveolens. But as for my own white hybrids, I don't really bother with them that much excepting to perhaps get a seed pod or two from them if I think they might have some other desireable characteristic or hidden color that may come out in another cross.
Rambling Brugmansia
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2001
5:02 PM

Post #87212

if the smell is half as good as the picture, I don't know what I'll do:) I already can't get the house clean for going out and playing music to my babies now!
Begonia

June 28, 2001
2:27 AM

Post #87789

I bought one because I liked the look of it and didn't know about the fragance. It bloomed that summer and I still hadn't noticed the fragance. We brought it inside and put it down in the laundry tub and left it there to check for insects. We went out and came back later that night. When we came in we were amazed at the fragance that was wafting thru the house. Didn't know what it was at first so went down to the laundry room and realized it was the brugsmansia and the air exchange system was above it and was sending the scent thru the house. If I didn't have to lug them inside in the fall I would grow more of them just for the fragance.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 28, 2001
6:16 PM

Post #88007

Begonia,
Good point about the fragrance. Fragrance does vary from cultivar to cultivar and some border on almost non existant fragrance. In any case, the fragrance is most powerful at night, but it can be noticed during the day as well with some cultivars. Still, the best fragrance will always be had when the sun has gone down or is going down. Another reason why I have a few whites in the yard, I like the contrast the whites make at night. Although, during the day, I much prefer to look at cultivars in color. My favorite for fragrance-Jamaican, Dr.Sues and Solid Gold. Yes, my favorites are always going to be in my yard no matter how old they get. In fact, I have 3 Jamaican in the yard, 6 or so Dr.Sues and just one Solid Gold. The frosty pink which I think is one of the ones that has no fragrance or almost none...I have 2 of those in the yard.
Enough rambling,
Brugmansia
prain
Nanaimo, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2001
9:11 PM

Post #89126

Just viewed links. Now I am going to have to comb the island to see first hand. I HOPE THEY ARE HARDY IN MY ZONE?
herblady
Knoxville, TN

July 4, 2001
5:06 PM

Post #90284

wow.Well I am hook,line and sinker,i have just got to find one of these ,how lon does it have from seeds???
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2001
12:18 AM

Post #90429

prain: Brugs are not really hardy around Nanaimo unless you live on/above the ocean in a very warm spot. You still must cut them back, cover with styrofoam chips ( white only), cover with a bucket and fish compost. I overwintered a sanguinea last winter, it's doing great. I overwintered a x candida white and a charles grimaldi also. They are coming along but not nearly as large as the ones I kept in the greenhouse. The sanguinea was in an extremely sheltered spot, a microclimate zone 9.
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2001
12:29 AM

Post #90432

Brugmansia: A question for you. Do you have any pix of x flava besides the one from native habitat ( picture on the cover of engelstrompeten ) I'm pretty sure I have one. I've had it for 5 years and it has never bloomed. It has about 7 buds on it now and one is almost ready to open. It has huge dark green thickish leaves, the baby leaves look like sanguineas sort of, but the large leaves don't look like any brug I've ever seen. The buds are much darker green and fatter. From all of the research I have done, I don't know what else it could be. Any help would be appreciated.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 5, 2001
12:41 AM

Post #90433

brugcrazy, please post a pic when it opens! thanks arlene
prain
Nanaimo, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2001
12:57 AM

Post #90436

WHAT ZONE ARE YOU? ARE YOU CLOSE TO NANAIMO? AND THANKYOU FOR INFO I THOUGHT I WOULD BRING IN FOR WINTER?
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2001
1:32 AM

Post #90447

prain: I'm in Campbell River and have a lot of different brugs.

Arlene: I will definitely post a picture as soon as it opens. I've been waiting for five years.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 5, 2001
12:35 PM

Post #90559

Brugcrazy
Good to see you in here. With that said, I do have Engelstrompeten and there are a few different pictures of flava hybrids in that book. I do not have any flava hybrides though and the few sanguinea seedlings I have have never bloomed. Please do post a picture of the flava you have when it comes into bloom. Sounds like you have a nice assortment of Brugmansia Brugcrazy. Do you hybridize Brugmansia as a hobby as well or any other plants? As long as were talking about Native Habitat, have you seen any of their recent hybrides? I never remember to take my camera with me when I go down there. I would probably beg you for half of your Brugmansia list Brugcrazy as it is obvious you are a bit crazzier than I am, but I have gotten to the point where I feel as if I have enough to work with. My primary interests are the aurea hybrids and trying to create just a few hybrids that are descent for my children. So far, it looks like its going to take a few more years to get what I am after. That and a whole lot of luck. Of course, I must be honest and say that each year new hybrides come out that I just can't say no to. Guess thats the way of things when your crazzy about Brugmansia. Wonderful to have you here Brugcrazzy. I look forward to your insights and knowledge.
Brugmansia
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2001
1:26 PM

Post #90576

How lucky we are. We all have different taste in our plants but we all have a lot in common also. The links are great. Lucky to have these wonderful computers to share these differences and commonalities(NEW WORD)in the plant world. Brugmansia,we do need to work on a website with smell. We never would leave the web site then. I can hardly leave now with only sight. Jim

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America