Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Pretty baby bird

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
patp
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2005
1:17 AM

Post #1434827

This baby bird was spotted and photographed by my husband on 4/21/05 in Summerville, SC. It calmly rested in a small tree at eye level while we marveled at its presence. Five pictures were taken before it flew with ease to a safer location. We have no idea what it is. Can anyone identify this baby from the 3 pictures provided?

Thumbnail by patp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

patp
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2005
1:19 AM

Post #1434829

...another shot.

Thumbnail by patp

patp
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2005
1:21 AM

Post #1434834

Wish we'd seen the baby's back.

Thumbnail by patp

Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2005
2:57 PM

Post #1435865

That's a pretty little bird and wonderful to pose so for you. Someone will come along and ID it for you
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2005
9:02 PM

Post #1436612

Your bird looks to me like the Solitary Vireo Vireo solitarius, but it is not a baby, it is a full adult. It seems that they only winter in your area, so it may well be on its way north to spend the summer breeding in Canada.
patp
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2005
2:09 AM

Post #1439183

Floridian, you were so very kind to respond to my query.

kennedyh - Wow, when I expressed surprise that an Aussie would ID this bird, my husband said you were probably an Ornithologist (as well as a Uber Gardener). And, after reading your comment, my husband picked up the bird identification book and it opened directly to the Solitary Vireo page. Years ago, I received as a gift the CD-ROM 'North American Birds - Peterson Multimedia Guides,' and tried to ID the bird before submitting it to this forum using the CD and our printed ID book to no avail, but now that you've identified it for me, I can see the resemblance! Thank you so very much, kh.

P.S. Our family was stationed at Northwest Cape (Exmouth, WA) with the U.S. Navy in 1967 - 1969, and our youngest daughter is a Dinkum Aussie. We truly miss your wonderful country and people.
hgurule
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2005
1:40 AM

Post #1470182

What a beautiful bird! I live in Summerville as well, and I have never seen one of these. Spectacular!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America