Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Lace Leaf Elder 'Laciniata' (Sambucus nigra)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 8, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2005
1:19 AM

Post #1445832

Lace Leaf Elder
Sambucus nigra f. laciniata

Just showing flower buds

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/70100/

Thumbnail by henryr10
Click the image for an enlarged view.

whirlybird
Portland, ME

November 6, 2006
9:01 PM

Post #2888117

I believe this is misidentified. European lace-leaf elderberry, or Sambucus nigra 'Laciniata,' has purple-black foliage and pink flowers, and blooms in spring (April/May). I have one in my garden. They weren't released on the US market until spring 2006.

This looks like it might be an American elderberry version of a lace-leaf -- Sambucus canadensis 'Laciniata.' American elderberry has green foliage and white flowers, and blooms in July. I have a species Sambucus canadensis in my garden also.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
12:34 AM

Post #2888885

I think we had problems w/ this one earlier.
The USDA still lists Sambucus canadensis laciniati as Sambucus nigra L. subsp. canadensis var laciniati (L.) R.Bolli

It's now I think and agree w/ you Sambucus canadensis "Lanciniati".

There's also :
Sambucus canadensis L. var. laciniata A.Gray
Sambucus canadensis 'Acutiloba'., Sambucus canadensis var. laciniata

Loving all the synonyms out there!
Ric
Baa

November 7, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2889085

The current name is Sambucus nigra f. laciniata, there are cultivars with dark or "black" leaves but they can be green too. S. canadensis is now considered S. nigra subsp. canadensis as is S. canadensis var. laciniata, your plant looks more like S. nigra f. laciniata than the S. nigra subsp. canadensis.

Please let me know what you think!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
1:48 AM

Post #2889194

The label reads Sambucus nigra 'Laciniata'

I have to agree Baa.
S. nigra f. laciniata

Thanks for your help.
Ric
Baa

November 7, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #2889199

My pleasure :)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2006
1:53 AM

Post #2889210

I just realized Baa you're up REAL late or is it early? lol

Ric
Baa

November 7, 2006
1:56 AM

Post #2889228

LOL for me it's the very late side of the evening rather than the extraordinarily early side of the morning, I'm just off to count sheep, all that nomenclature has made me sleepy *G*
Fernzilla
Memphis, TN

May 13, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #4946296

OMG;

I purchased this plant at a nursery, where I was informed it was a Hardy Ming Tree. It looked sort of like a Ming Aralia so I got it. All the leaves fell off when it was brought inside. I left on my patio all Winter.
This Spring it began to leaf out. It kept getting larger and growing much faster than a Ming Aralia. I couldn't figure out what it was until i saw something in a garden catalog identified as Sambucus Nigra Eva. it looked just like my plant except the foliage was dark.
I googled Sambucus species and saw this picture. Eureka! Mine is even beginning to get flower buds, and looks identical to this. Well i like the foliage and I think i will like the flowers, but the berries will have to be removed before the birds can snack on them. I don't have a carport and have a heavily wooded lot. I don't relish having purple poop allover my garden and car.(;-o

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America