-
AuthorContent
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2005
9:01 PM

Post #1448197

I'm new to Dave's garden -- this may already be answered somewhere but it seems too tedious to look through every thread! Sorry if I'm repeating ...

Some plants are listed as poisonous such as Monkshood, Foxglove, etc. Is it OK to put these in the compost bin? I grow vegetables with this compost too ...
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2005
4:37 AM

Post #1466400

C'mon, surely someone here has an answer. Is it alright to add Foxglove, etc to our compost piles? My guess is yes, since it would break down, just like weeds do. However, I've heard that you should never add Walnut leaves to compost because the tannic acid (or whatever it is that prevents things from growing) doesn't break down.

Any other thoughts?
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2005
1:49 PM

Post #1466911

All greenwaste from your garden, including plants listed as poisonous are fine unless the toxin is considered persistent in soils. The microbes that decompose organic matter don't have the organs that digitalis affects. I've always thought our compost piles had heart but I've never seen a compost pile die from heart failure...lol.

Creosote bush and other plants rich in essential or non-volatile oils might pose a problem if they comprise a large percentage of the organic matter in a pile.

Yes it is true that earthworms have several hearts but they are not affected by digitalis in that their hearts pump through a different mechanism than ours.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2005
2:24 PM

Post #1466973

Thanks drdon, I knew the answer would be here!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America