-
AuthorContent
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2005
3:47 AM

Post #1451467

I found another spider in the tv room tonight. Can some one ID it for me please? It was about an inch.

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2005
3:57 AM

Post #1451492

oh.. horrible looking..ik.. ???????
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2005
4:21 AM

Post #1451530

Lol. It was okay. I don't mind them at a distance. But some times they chase you!
SO1
Spokane, WA

May 6, 2005
4:30 AM

Post #1451554

well, the only link i have that looks like it is this --- http://www.insectimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0001044

its not an exact match, but seems close... maybe it will help you or someone to get a better name for it

Arod
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2005
5:07 AM

Post #1451607

I think you're right. I think I posted a picture a couple of days ago and it came back with the same or similar ID. They didn't look so similar when I trapped them but upon close inspection of the close up pictures, they seem to look to be the same kind.
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2005
5:14 AM

Post #1451621

Michelle, I compared this with your earlier Wolf and I am sure this one is different. I agree however that this one could also be a Wolf Spider
Ken
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2005
5:25 AM

Post #1451635

Oh, it's hard for me to tell because spiders either looks very similar to me or very different. I never know if different markings change from individual to individual or from species to species.

Mostly, I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't a hobo spider!
Drewsinky
La Grange, KY

May 6, 2005
10:59 AM

Post #1451758

CaptMicha -- I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of it being a hobo spider. I can't tell for sure from your picture, but it appears it may have the characteristic chevron pattern on its back -- and it looks a lot like this attached picture of a female hobo. Wolf or hobo -- I wouldn't play with either!

Thumbnail by Drewsinky
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2005
4:36 AM

Post #1453603

I was worried about that. We have soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many spiders in the basement. And it's a finished one too, if that has anything to do with it.

Then we also have them camping out under the couch in the tv room. I haven't experienced it but both my brothers, who were sitting on the floor, said they've had spiders actually go on them.

And it's disconcerting to be watching tv and look up to find spiders out in the open staring at you!

The only "trap" I've heard of is sticky traps. What else can you do to repell and get rid of spiders?
eje
San Francisco, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2005
5:19 PM

Post #1454334

Hi CaptMicha,

It does look like it might be in the same family as the hobo spider; but, as far as I can find out, hobo spiders are only known in the US in the West/Northwest.

Also the body shape of yours is a little different, and the legs have more coloration than any photo of hobo spiders I've found on the internet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America