Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Wanna just hang out?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Several of us were discussing this recently on another thread, but we all forgot to start a separate thread so it died off. We were just thinking about getting together somewhere like the Texas Discovery Gardens in Dallas to just hang out. No trading or pressure, just meet. I can't be in charge of this, because I'll forget and it won't get organized, but thought I would get the topic started. If it ends up that we can't get it done, there is another thread on the Roundup forum regarding a Dallas swap around Sept. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/504380/

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I'd love to do this, thanks for remembering and starting a thread. Dallas wouldn't be too tough a drive for me. (Hey John, maybe I could bring your cross vine?)

When? I think it goes without saying that Memorial Day weekend won't work. C'mon, everybody weigh in on this!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I would love to do this but am unavailable these dates:
June 4,5
June 11,12
June 18,19
June 26 (I could due June 25th)
July 9
(second Sunday of July - whatever date that is)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I will go along with whatever can be worked out!

Granbury, TX(Zone 7b)

I'd love to do this if it could be done before June 20th. We have wall to wall out of town company coming after that....

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, earlier would be better, due to the HOT factor. We could always do another one in the fall when it gets cooler again, but if everyone's game I'd like to hang out sooner than later.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

That would be lots of fun. Any excuse to go to a garden is a ticket to a vacation. But hotels are expensive and that would be a problem for me.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-)

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello guys, the only two dates that I have available in June are, June the 5th and June 26th.
I know that this is rather limiting but that is all I can do. I would love to attend, but please do not try to work around my schedule, do what is best for everyone.
Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I would love to come - love to meet you all I might have to bring my 2 year old son. I can come all most any day - just let me know when. Thanks - Mitch

(Zone 8b)

I'll try and make it when ever, but I get asked to baby sit from time to time so may not be able to. Just post when and I'll do my best!
Carol

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

That's kind of the way I am Carol. I think it's a personal thing with me tho, I just can't plan ahead. It's fear of commitment. LOL I never know what's going to be going on so I just usually hear something is happening and then decide if I'll go. Sunday's are best for me, so I can leave my 6 yr old with dad.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Earlier is better in my mind - it is just going to get hotter around here.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

It started to today!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I had field day today and thought it is just going to get hotter... it was really really hot today - they kids really thought they were dying.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

Our field day was today, also. I thought that my poor kids were gonna wilt!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I know - why are there not more indoor field day games? LOL Guess that would change the whole idea of this right?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

My kindergardener has his on Monday, but luckily it's at 9am.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Ours was all day 8 to 230 - I cannot keep up, and I am young. I made one of my kids haul a chair around for me - all the teachers who had been there forever never thought of bring a chair. The kids love it but man are we tired by the end of the day, 22 cranky First graders!

Granbury, TX(Zone 7b)

Joshepine,
Are there picnic tables at Pappy Elkins park where you've taken some neat pictures? If there are, maybe we could have an after work picnic there some evening. That way if we end up having to visit Discovery Gardens when you can't go, at least we will have been able to have a picnic with you, also.

Linda

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Linda - you think of everything dont you? great idea lets just pin down a few dates and tell me how to get where ever it is we are going :-)

Hello Linda, I hadn't heard from you for so long! But I guess you have been watching, I am very happy to hear from you. I am not sure about picnic tables at Pappy Elkins, I will go and investigate. I do know that in the wildflower area they don't have any.
If not, Veterans Park is close by, and we could do it there. I will check it out.
It is very nice of you to try to include me, if the date for the Garden tour doesn't work out for me.
Thank you, Josephine.

Hello Linda, I cheked it out yesterday and Pappy Elkins does have picnic tables by the little lake, not too far from the wildflower area,so at leat we know that much.
How are your wildflowers coming along?
Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Josephine you are getting both of these going - thanks for all the work you are putting into this. Mitch

You are wellcome Mitch, glad to be of help. Josephine.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Are these to be two different gatherings?
John

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yep two times, the first to meet the second to trade - sounds like fun right?

Granbury, TX(Zone 7b)

Josephine,
I managed to plant a few rows of wildflowers before I left for Colorado. The cowpen daisies and the four o'clocks did very well. Also got one jimson weed - about to bloom- and a few hibiscus. Questions: Is it probably too late to transplant these to the hillside or do you think it might work if I wait for a break in the weather? Is it too late to do some more planting? Too hot for anything to germinate? Could I do it in peat pots? I do so appreciate the seeds and the sumac which is doing very well.

What about having a picnic at Pappy Elkins on the Wednesday or Thursday after Memorial Day. Or would the next week work better?

Linda

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep.

Granbury, TX(Zone 7b)

John,
I'm way too dumb to figure you out! Does that mean yep to any of the above?

;-)

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have plants coming in the first week in June - just lots of water and shade for the first few days and pray for a break in the weather! It worked last year at least - LOL maybe just dumb luck but hey it worked. Mitch

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep, I'm easy.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

This heat is going to make it pretty hard to just hang out. :( I'm not sure if I'll be able to go during the week since my son will be out of school. If this park has trees and playground equipment, I might can. Anyways, carry on and I'll keep watching.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

How old is your son? I have a two year old that might get to come if I am on "duty"

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

He just turned 6. We went to his play day this morning. They had lots of fun and we took lots of pictures.

I'm thinking he's not the best kid to have at the end of the rope for Tug-o-war.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

He is very cute - is he in the First grade? The class looks a lot like mine - I teach a ESL First Grade class in Dallas ISD.

Hello Linda, I am glad that some of the seeds did well for you. I don't know how big the plants are now, but if they are not very big, you could probably transplant them if you can keep them moist, it is so hot right now.
If they are not potted and you need to thin them out, you could pot them now in small pots and set then out when the weather cools down.
You still can start seeds of the Texas star hibiscus and Golden hibiscus, also the Jimsonweed.
The others will probably be better to wait till late September.
Did you get started on the pond? and how is your slope coming along.
I am glad the Flameleaf sumac is doing well, it is such a pretty tree.

About the picnic, I dont know how many people will be able to come on a Wednesday or Thursday late afternoon, we shall see what develops, let us see what people have to say.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Almost any day is fine to me - just pick one - LOL

Granbury, TX(Zone 7b)

OK, folks. How about we plan a picnic at Pappy Elkins on Wednesday, June 8 with June 9th as a rain date. We could meet at 6:00. I'm sure we could find some ways to entertain any wee folks that can come. I'd be happy to bring a big Greek salad.

Linda

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I will need a map!

John

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.