Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Peroxide safe for fish and plants?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 41, Views: 372
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
madelyn65
San Manuel, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2005
2:32 AM

Post #1480285

Talked to some friends at the local True Value yesterday as I was buying my 3% peroxide, they asked me what I was going to do with it...told them I was putting it in my koi pond to get rid of string algae, etc. They told me to buy some online that was safe for fish and plants...never heard of it...anyone out there know about it?
Also, saw where you can buy floating solar pond lights on e-bay...well that was an undertaking!
I'd rather order one from the person selling them, than go through all of that! I've not gone on ebay because I'm afraid I'd max out my visa!
Thanks for your help.
Joni
jessamine
Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2005
5:14 AM

Post #1480540

I get peroxide at Walmart or one of the other cut rates. Two pints for 92 cents and 5% concentration. It is designed for human use (external use or as a mouthwash). It will not harm your fish or your plants. All it does is up the oxygen content of the water temporarily. Jessamine
Equilibrium

May 19, 2005
11:56 AM

Post #1480783

"They told me to buy some online that was safe for fish and plants...never heard of it" because hydrogen peroxide is hydrogen peroxide and to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't exist in a form labeled as safe for fish- tee he. I went out there once frantically looking for fish safe peroxide.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2005
12:14 PM

Post #1480820

Sounds like they were afraid it would hurt your fish and then you would come back to them and complain... just because their peroxide does not say to use on fish!! The only differences you will find in peroxide is its concentrations. I doubt you will be able to find the near pure stuff they use for rocket fuel... bet that stuff would put your fish in orbit!!!! heheheheeee But the stuff from the hardware storers or pharmacies will work just fine and it is SAFE for fish... Tom
stewall
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2005
1:58 AM

Post #1483420

!!! FANTASTIC OFFER !!!
Wait no more to protect you fish from that nasty, cheap old peroxide.
I just happen to have some surplus "Fish-safe Peroxide".
It's my own brand name product called "Algae-Be-Gone" and it available, only from me, at an incredible $19.99 per 1/2 pint bottle. Guaranteed not to bust, rust or collect dust.
But wait! ::: As an introductory offer for the first one thousand customers, I will double size it, AND throw in a toilet brush for those hard-to-reach, last-remaining bits of algae.
Call immediately, etc, etc
Steve :-)
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2005
12:01 PM

Post #1484203

LOL
Equilibrium

May 20, 2005
4:52 PM

Post #1484811

Preying on the emotions of frantic fish folk are we now? Have you no shame! Tee he... pretty funny actually. There was a time when I would have actually given you my credit card number to get that "Fish-safe Peroxide" and I would have thought I was getting a bargain with an offer to double size it and toss in a toilet brush for those "hard-to-reach, last-remaining bits of algae". You bad boy!
stewall
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2005
2:16 AM

Post #1486038

Equilibrium; well I just don't know!
Telling me I'm a bad boy then sending me a check for $19.99 in a plain brown envelope!
Of course, this was all a hoax and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Steve

PS: Equilibrium - your two bottles and special offer have been despatched by airmail, as per your request
Madelyn 65 - I've sent yours too, but I'm afraid I've run out of the sleeping pills and laxatives you ordered, Joni.
Equilibrium

May 21, 2005
5:53 PM

Post #1487326

Shhh Steve, you weren't supposed to tell anyone... did you have enough forest green toilet bowl scrubbers left to be able to include one in my order? It's so nice to be able to color coordinate one's ponding equipment.
DRH2
Brunswick, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2005
5:00 PM

Post #1491536

Personally I prefer the blue toilet bowl scrubbers - they match the color of... Nope, not gonna go there!
Hydrogen peroxide is Hydrogen peroxide. The stuff you buy in your drugstore or in the supermarket is 3%. You can get stronger concentrations in Pool & Spa stores - somewhere around 10-12%. There are also some commercial sites where you can get it >40%. But given how inexpensive it is at Walmart or your local supermarket I wouldn't go with the Hi-test version --- it's too easy to make a mistake in dosage even though this is probably one of the more forgiving things we dump in our ponds.
Gemila
Decatur, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2005
6:10 PM

Post #1498981

Does anyone have measurements as to how much hydrogen peroxide to add per gallon of water for ponds? I've got a dog that won't stop drinking out of the pond & a cat or two that pass by on occasion. I've been using the Algeafix stuff and all three are still alive but if you all say the HP works just as well, I'd rather go that route...just need to know how much to add. I've been putting the Algeafix once a week but can at times stretch it out depending on how fast the alea growth is. Can someone also tell me if I can add the peroxide in the same manner or does it have to be applied in a timely manner in order for it to work. THANKS!

Gemila
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2005
12:19 AM

Post #1499760

Here is my experience with peroxide. First be sure you understand peroxide only works with string algae. We have a 180 gallon pond. After reading some of the threads in here on peroxide use, I determined that 3 oz is the right dose. I made a couple of applications of 3 oz several days apart. I did not notice any change in the alge. Then someone said they used a pint dose in a 200 gallon pond, so I dumped in a whole pint, still no noticeable change in the algae... GRRRRRR. After a week I dumped in another pint... within 2 days almost all the sting algae was GONE!!!!!! All this time there was no problem with other plants, fish or cats drinking from the pond water. It has been about a month, maybe more and I put in another pint dose to control what has come back... again it knocked out most of in within a day. I haven't tried it, but my guess is if I applied the 3 oz dose weekly, it would controll the algae and I might not need the full pint dose. I hope this helps. It definitely works sooner or later. Someone did say it would help if you remove some of the larger clumps of string algae before applying the peroxide. I think if I had done that from the start, the first dose of a full pint might have done the trick. Good luck (silverfluter's DH.. Tom)
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2005
12:28 PM

Post #1500925

I've always been a little afraid of the HP. It is reported to work great but I think you have to provide extra or "sufficient" aeration during its use.

Not trying to be a wet blanket but I dont want folks to just throw gallons of HP in their pond without proper aeration and kill all their fish :)

good luck
DRH2
Brunswick, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2005
9:18 PM

Post #1501941

The typical range of doses used are 1-2 pints per 1000 gallons using 3% hydrogen peroxide with a repeat dose anywhere from 3 days to 1 week if necessary to as high as 1 pint per 100 gallons. Having said that you would decrease the volume added if you somehow got your hands on some of the commercial material (as used in Spas) which can be 10-12% or the industrial strength 'stuff' that can be quite high conc. Then all you have to do is proportion it to the size of your pond and the concentration of the hydrogen peroxide. If anyone would like I have a little spreadsheet that you can use - all you have to do is put in the volume of your pond and the % hydrogen peroxide and it will calculate the volume you need to measure; just drop me an e-mail. I will attempt to figure out a way to post it otherwise feel free to contact me.

As to removing as much of the string algae as possible: when you kill off the algae you're releasing a significant amount of organic matter into your pond. While the initial dose of hydrogen peroxide will temporarily increase the oxygen levels the elevated oxygen levels can be then used up over the next day or two as the organic matter is broken down (typically referred to as BOD or Biochemical Oxygen Demand). If your water temperature is warm, hence oxygen solubility is low and/or the rate of aeration (oxygen input) is not very high you could potentially run the risk of creating low oxygen conditions in your pond. I highly doubt this would be a factor if your pond temperature is below say 75F and with any type of waterfall or spitter working. But if you're concerned then clean out as much as possible by hand using a stick or a brush on a stick or pole - I personally like a color-coordinated toilet bowl brush!!

Safety. Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer that's how it does it's business. It will bleach your hair and it will kill bacteria and string algae. However, as chemicals go it is probably one of the safer ones to 'play' with for the average home owner/pond owner ranking close to 'safe-use/potential toxicity' of salt. As to problems for you pets - remember that one of the common household uses for hydrogen peroxide is as a mouthwash (diluted 1:1 with tap water) in which you would inadvertantly swallow 'some' - it's often recommended by physicians or dentists to help with infections of the mouth. But that doesn't mean, in my book, that I'd go giving Fido a tablespoon or two in his drinking bowl!! I would not worry about animals or birds taking a drink out of a pond once it's been treated even if you're dosing at the rate of 1 pint per 100 gallons (which some have used).
Equilibrium

May 29, 2005
6:16 AM

Post #1505250

I've gone well beyond the standard 1/2 to 1 pint per 500 gallons with no ill effects what so ever... well the algae took a beating. Sure does avoid having to mess around with barley balls which most probably aren't all that effective anyway.

Gimme my forest green toilet bowl scrubber and get a nice blue one for DRH2 the "Answer Man".
kneff
Dearborn, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2005
5:44 AM

Post #1507199

Will the hydrogen peroxide have any negative effect on the bio-filter? The water temperature in my pond has finally warmed enough for the filter to be useful for water clarity, but the string algae is winning in my personal war with it.
DRH2
Brunswick, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2005
7:19 PM

Post #1510908

At the concentrations people use in their pond you should see no effect on your biofilter as long as you don't dump it straight in the inlet to the pump. I generally 'sprinkle/slosh' it around the edges of the pond. That's where the algae is usually the highest and that way by the time it's sucked into the pump and through your biofilter there's no problem.

As I indicated above I think/hope I've got a very simple little spreadsheet that you can download from here:
http://www.cem.uvm.edu/~hemenway/WaterGarden/Hydrogen%20peroxide%20calculator.xls
So if you have any questions regarding how much to add for your specific pond this should help a bit. I realize that there are numerous websites out there that will do similar things but usually by the time I find the site (because the link has changed or ...) it's a bit of a bother. This is in an Excel format which you should be able to open and then save directly to your computer - I did it this way so no one would feel twitchy about sending me an e-mail. If you've got questions please post them here or e-mail me (for the non-twitchy).
Also, you'll note that I've included different pages for calculating iron doses, baking soda, and salt doses. Enjoy.
kneff
Dearborn, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2005
2:12 AM

Post #1511931

Thank you, DRH2! I used your spreadsheet(s) and will add the peroxide according to the calculation. Will still hold onto the toilet bowl brush, though, (mine is blue and white) in case things get hairy again!

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2005
12:57 AM

Post #1524180

OH LORDY
thats amazing

how'd you do that?????

and do they sell hyrogen peroxide by the gallon???
DRH2
Brunswick, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2005
1:25 AM

Post #1527041

Crestedchik - do what? The spreadsheet thingy? Or were you referring to something else? As to H2O2 by the gallon - yes, you can find it in places dealing with swimming pool/spa supplies. Also, they may carry it at higher percentages than the standard 3% available at your local WalMart, grocery store or drug store.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2005
12:37 PM

Post #1530658

The spread sheet thingy
I'm flabergasted
its amazing
its magic
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2005
5:16 AM

Post #1533132

I'm really glad to read this thread. I put a barley straw bale in our pond early this spring, but am still getting hair algae. I made the bale around a plastic water bottle so it would float, and placed it inside our water feature (a chiminea on its side) at the outlet so it would have water flowing over/through it. ...Still the algae.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2005
5:19 AM

Post #1533140

Oops - wrong picture! The bale's not visible in this shot - it's just to the left of the hole you're looking through.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

guspuppy
Warren, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #4733511

is liquid iron concentrate (on the spread sheet) the same thing as peroxide?
Kathy
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6615802

I thought I would bump this thread so that new pond keepers would be able to use the wonderful calculator provided by DRH2. I use 27% hydrogen peroxide purchased from a local pool supply store and never have a problem with string algae. It costs about $16 for a gallon of the peroxide. I have provided the link to many other pond keepers who are also amazed at the results. Thank you so much for the spreadsheet - I would be lost without it.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6616253

'Tis the season! I was just noticing today how prolific the string algae is in our little pond. Time to get some peroxide!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 30, 2009
9:07 AM

Post #6616929

i killed my fish with 3%.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2009
10:41 AM

Post #6616994

I am so sorry! How did you dose? I do have someone else draw the fish away from me because peroxide can burn the gills.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 30, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6618807

dbsmith - i added it to a half barrel and did not pay attention to the amount. totally my fault. now i just pull out the string algae. poor fishies... : (
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6619128

I havn't looked at the spread sheet, but I will and I do appreciate it's posting. I know for a fact that it's safe and effective to dose with 1pt. of 3% per each 1,000 gallons in the pond.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 30, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6619222

haha! i was working w/ 15 gals and probably a quarter of the bottle. poor fishies... : ( i will read up before doing that again!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6619987

Trying to figure out the spread sheet. If I have a 5000 gal pond using 35% perxiode. You only have to use 1.2 tsps per the whole 5000 gal.
That seems all wrong to me.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6620137

There are spreadsheets for several different chemicals across the bottom. Did you click on the tab for hydrogen peroxide? The calculation came out to 14 tablespoons at 1pt/1000 gallons or 27 tablespoons at 2pt/1000 gallons.

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #6620248

I can't get the link to open...
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6620253

Worked OK for me. I was able to save the spreadsheet for my own use. Maybe you have to have Excel?

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #6620296

I don't know...how do I get that?????...LOL.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6621736

Did not see that. Thanks
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6621957

Anyone who doesn't have a spreadsheet program might want to check out Open Office at http://openoffice.org - it is a free office suite that plays well with Microsoft. Another option is Google Docs. With a Google account, you have access to a whole office suite online. You can make it the default program for opening such documents. http://google.com/docs
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #7732747

I'm bumping this as I always have to go searching for the hydrogen peroxide calculator every spring. The link to it is in this thread at Post #1510908
My algae is going wild! I'm dosing the pond this afternoon.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7734292

I tried to get it but the server said not found???
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7734457

I click on it and it takes me right to it. Are others able to open it?
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7734498

okay I got it now.. a puter person Im NOT!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America