Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plumerias: Feeding

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 9, Views: 399
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CaCajun
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2005
2:04 PM

Post #1481019

One of my plumeria cuttings has 2-3 inch leaves...yeah!! I believe I need to think about feeding it. One of my websites for plumeria recommend a 8-14-10 combo, but another recommends a 10-50-10 combo. Quite a difference. Any suggestions from you all in the real world. Thanks.
cfarm
Discovery Bay, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2005
4:17 PM

Post #1481305

The 50+ middle number has been widely adopted, but some of the larger growers, including one in SoCal, have said that anything over 30 on that number is overkill. I think 14 is a bit low. I'm going to experiment this summer with different fertilizers on cuttings from the same tree to see if I can note any differences.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 19, 2005
4:57 PM

Post #1481414

The one with the super high middle numer is a Bloombooster formula. I've actually used it on practically everything I grow a couple of times this spring so far. I would recommend it for established plants in the spring to give them the boost they need to flower. For cuttings that are just rooted and need to establish a well-formed root system and growth, I would recommend the regular fertilizer. Miracle Grow has both the bloombooster formula and the regular formula. If you were to visit some growers' places here in Southern California, you would see that they fertilize heavily and often for the best blooms possible up until September. Additionally, they use supplements such as Epsom Salt, Superthrive, and Spray 'N Grow. Bill's Perfect Fertilizer and Spray 'N Grow are often mixed together for the best results.
cfarm
Discovery Bay, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2005
11:58 PM

Post #1482573

Clare, I thought I saw Jack in Corona post that he fertilizes with a 30 middle number formula primarily so he can fertilize more often.

I've also gone through most of my flower beds with a shot of bloombuster a couple of weeks ago. Only have a few rooted plumies which I can feed at this time. The rest are all newly potted cuttings.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 20, 2005
12:33 AM

Post #1482684

Cfarm, you could be right about Jack. I can't remember now. I thought he uses Bill's and Spray 'N Grow? He probably uses all kinds. I just used a Bloombooster too. It was a Schultz's Bloombuilder 10-52-10. I'm afraid I was too hot to be discriminating, and everything got sprayed: plumerias, seedlings, rooted cuttings, adeniums, passifloras, brugmansias, fruit trees, succulents, etc. Oh well...
CaCajun
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2005
10:58 AM

Post #1495810

Sorry for the delay in my "thanks" to all that responded. I left on a short vacation right after I wrote, and just read all of your reponses. I now have 5-6 inch leaves and another plummie has 1 inch leaves. Two more to go!!! I will run and get fertilizer this afternoon for my "mature" plant. Many thanks.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 25, 2005
6:18 PM

Post #1496595

I ran across this at Plumeria 101: http://www.plumeria101.com/fertilizer.html

CaCajun
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2005
9:45 PM

Post #1497039

I bought my fertilizer this afternoon. One more question, I bought the granular type, I have pea gravel over my soil. Do I have to remove the pea gravel and work into the soil, or can I sprinkle over the pea gravel and water.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 26, 2005
12:59 AM

Post #1497441

CaCajun, what kind did you get? Is it the water-soluble kind or the slow-release kind? If it is supposed to be mixed with water, then you can just water it in over the gravel. I personally would remove the gravel because it holds moisture in, and you can't see when the soil is dry or moist.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 12, 2007
12:09 AM

Post #3487992

I need to switch out this thread in the FAQ's and add this one: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/692567/ This is an update reminder to myself!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM
South Florida Blooms! \(^o^)/ lopaka 184 Jun 12, 2007 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America