Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Black Bug

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2005
6:33 AM

Post #1483944

Sorry these pictures are so bad, I don't know why I just couldn't get a good one.

There's ALOT of them, they just swarm over plants and over the deck stairs. I don't know if they're actually harming any plants b/c I didn't observe any bite marks but I think I did see them eating my miniature orange tree when I put it out last year.

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2005
6:33 AM

Post #1483945

Another pic.

Thumbnail by CaptMicha

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

May 20, 2005
11:17 AM

Post #1484106

I really do not know , but it does look Beeish
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2005
11:30 AM

Post #1484130

I agree that they look like a bee of some sort...maybe carpenter bees
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2005
5:22 PM

Post #1484891

It doesn't look like the carpenter bees here, as they have one yellow stripe compaired to two for the Bumbles.
It looks like one of the ground dwelling spider eating wasps.
What size is it, compared to a Bumble Bee?
mysticwill
Brookhaven, PA
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2005
11:06 PM

Post #1485685

Ask here-- nightbloom seems to know lots of bugwuggies-- LOL!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/509615/

Heather
Night_Bloom
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2005
3:50 AM

Post #1486269

Hee - thanks Heather. Night Bloom came over here to visit.

CaptMicha - these look like some kind of digger wasp to me - probably family Scoliidae or Sphecidae - but they do seem to be some kind of predatory wasp. Generally these catch and paralyze insects, usually caterpillars and/or crickets, and then bury them in a hole in the ground. Eggs are laid on the insect(s) and the developing wasp larva eats those.

When a whole bunch of them are out and about, they are usually emerging from the ground and looking for mates. If they were on your orange tree, they might have been searching for nectar as fuel for flight.
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2005
5:55 AM

Post #1486457

Oh no! I don't like these! If I get any cats in my butterfly garden they're goners!

They're not very big, less than half an inch.

eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2005
4:12 PM

Post #1487149

Stinger??

"eyes"
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2005
1:32 AM

Post #1488071

Not that I saw.
Night_Bloom
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2005
9:59 AM

Post #1488648

Some species of digger wasps are small, and males won't have stingers. Only the females need them to paralyze the prey. The males only have to find females and mate - no stinger needed.

This will also be the case with velvet ants (family Mutillidae) which are actually wasps. The females of those have stingers but don't have wings. It's opposite with the males. Usually velevt ants have either red or yellow coloration on them. Your's looks more like one of the families that I mentioned above, but I thought I'd give a picture of a velevt ant anyway, just in case it could be your guy.

Here's a picture...

Thumbnail by Night_Bloom

Night_Bloom
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2005
10:04 AM

Post #1488658

Oh, I should've mentioned that the coloration in velvet ants does vary.

Also, I should have mentioned that smaller wasps might not bother your caterpillars - keep an eye out just in case - but smaller ones tend to go for spiders and smaller stuff. They also don't tend to go for fuzzy caterpillars or ones with "barbs" (like Fritillary caterpillars) I have lots of wasps in my gardens and they pay no attention to my fritillary cats at all.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America