Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tomatoes: The secret to growing Big Tomatoes!

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 72, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
VGMKY
Louisville, KY

May 20, 2005
2:13 PM

Post #1484492

Since all of us are interested in growing Big tasty tomatoes, I thought some of you would get a chuckle out of this famous garderner's use of his secret fertilizer. Enjoy!
Gary/Louisville

A Tomato Blether

Tomato growing is an occupation fraught with conversational danger. Just inadvertently mention your under-sized spindly tomato plants to a tomato enthusiast (and there's thousands of tomato enthusiasts out there) and you could be stuck for hours listening politely to every conceivable way of nurturing these smelly plants. And such strange names too: Big Boy, Supersonic, Tiny Tim, Outdoor Girl, Money-maker - the list goes on and on.

Apparently Bull's Dung is an excellent medium for growing tomatoes. Something to do with the testosterone content. It brings on the 'Toms' a treat. Good grief, what a thought, but undoubtedly an excellent conversation stopper should you ever need one. And then there's the tomato-ripening properties of the humble banana. Bananas give off a barely detectable gas, you see, very subtle and undetectable to the human nose, a gas that aids tomato ripening. Put the green ones in the kitchen drawer, on newspaper, and add a banana. That should do the trick. So there you are, another conversation stopper.

Now let me tell you this. I could win prizes for my tomatoes if I wanted to. How? Because I know how to grow the best tomatoes in Scotland, juicy, red and tasty, and probably the best in the country. But I don't grow the best in the country. Why not? Well read on, for here comes the ultimate 'conversation stopper' as far as tomatoes go.

Many years ago my grand-parents employed the services of a part-time gardener to help out in the garden. A man called Tom. He was very good at his job and particularly renowned throughout the district for his tomatoes. A tomato grower par excellence. Champion tomatoes they were. Tomatoes with exceedingly good flavour. But strangely enough the plants themselves were quite spindly, quite poor-looking, and not really the sort of specimens you would expect to bear good fruit, though the end product was truly magnificent.

Whenever there was a family gathering Tom's tomatoes were always on the menu, always discussed. "Tasty Tomatoes, these ...lovely flavour...prize winning fruits...splendid texture...wonderful colour..." and so on. And that's the reason why we called him 'Tom' when his real name was actually John.

Just recently, and from a very reliable source, I discovered that Tom had a secret ingredient for growing his tomatoes and, to be perfectly frank, it put me off tomatoes for life. Urine. His special ingredient was urine.

The house had a septic tank, you see, emptied once a year, and Tom held on to the top layer to use as a liquid feed for his tomato plants. He may even have given them a personal sprinkling himself on the odd occasion too. So I could grow the best tomatoes in the country if I wanted to. I really could. No doubt about that. And win prizes for them too. But I don't fancy the idea, not now. Do you?

http://www.herbalgardens.com/archives/articles-archive/tomato-blether.html
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2005
2:19 PM

Post #1484506

Goodness.

My own dorky father once tried to grow tomatoes with dog poop fertilizer. They were anemic and sad tomatoes (can you blame them?) and no one in the family would touch them.

Except the dog.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2005
2:30 PM

Post #1484526

Actually, Used properly dog manure works wonder, And note that Asian farners used nightsoil for years. (collected and dried human manure) Concept and disease control keeps it from being used in the west. But it is quite "organic"
Judy81350
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2005
2:51 PM

Post #1484569

My mother would take a metal barrel, put about a foot of chicken manure in the bottom of it, fill it the rest of the way up with water, put the lid on it, let it steep for weeks, then use that water for her tomatoes along with regular water. She would bury all the house green mater around them too. Egg shells, coffee grounds, salad stuff, peelings. No meat stuff though! She worked it in real good too, didn't leave any sitting on top. I think when I start my next vegie garden I'm going to try her ways. We had the best beefsteak tomatoes in the whole neighborhood. You could use one slice per sandwich, thats how big they were. Our hamburgers didn't fall apart on us either. Oh, I don't think I'd want to eat tomatoes grown with urine either. Thats just ewwwwww! :)
foolcontrol
Cypress, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2005
2:58 PM

Post #1484590

Just by a fertilizer call Tomato Food made by Schultz.
Judy81350
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2005
3:33 PM

Post #1484669

I've used Miracle Gro Tomato Food. I got good results using that. Comparatively speaking, have you tried the above or compared it to Schultz? I've seen that brand but have never tried it.
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2005
5:42 PM

Post #1484938

Judy, I got chickens more for their manure than for the eggs. It's easy to get local organic eggs around here, but no one will part with that henhouse litter! I'm all over that manure tea recipe...

Farmerdill, we're talking fresh dog poop... hot off the dog. I guess fresh anything would burn plants, but this was especially hard on the nose (did he have to plant right by the kitchen?). But I agree that any manure, composted properly, can give big benefits. (But I suspect I'll always be squeamish about dog and human manure used on food crops.)
Judy81350
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2005
7:37 PM

Post #1485222

I need to get more chickens!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2005
9:28 PM

Post #1485488

"hot off the dog" -- OMG, Zeppy! I'm glad I just put my coffee cup down!

Can't have chickens here, but maybe I can talk somebody at the farmer's market into bringing me a couple of scoops to use for that manure tea... I'm assuming that should be aged chicken manure, not hot off the hen, right?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2005
10:08 PM

Post #1485582

Right, fresh chicken manure is much hotter than fresh dog manure. Also has too high a nitrogen content (It is the original urea) for tomatoes in most circumstances.
Judy81350
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2005
10:46 PM

Post #1485643

My mother also always watered her tomatoes with her tea in the cool evenings. You don't ever want to put fresh chicken manure around your plants. Way too hot. Horse manure, which I have plenty of, when dry, will grow the best tomatoes without even having soil in the mix. I tossed a half eaten tomato on my manure pile once, and a couple weeks later I had seedlings. I let them grow and grow and grow. lol I got some pretty respectable tomatoes off that pile. I use the manure that has wood shavings in it for my mulch.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2005
12:30 AM

Post #1485844

My favorite food guy on radio always said, "You are what you eat eats" so the thought of all of these manures and urines do not thrill me. We add nine wheelbarrels of our own compost to the tomato garden every year and I have no uneasiness about eating the wonderful tomatoes.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2005
12:42 AM

Post #1485872

ahh a question for the city gal here...doesn't he poo stink?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2005
1:27 AM

Post #1485961

I can handle cow manure, even chicken manure, but the thought of my own chit or urine is plum nasty. Imagine that.
But now if a cow could grow veggies---do you think it would use its own waste. Probly not.
Just a dooky thing.
cottonpicker
Audubon, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2005
2:38 AM

Post #1486086

cricket... cute reply & funny!!!! ... LOL...
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2005
2:39 AM

Post #1486089

I'm with cricket...just don't think it could happen...and I'd have to wear REAL long and thick gloves to put it in the soil.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

May 21, 2005
2:41 AM

Post #1486094

Y'all are toooo funny!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2005
5:44 AM

Post #1486437

OK, when my boys are outside, I have them trained to go pee in the garden instead of the house. Keeps them from tracking in dirt, leaving the door open, etc. And it is supposed to help keep bunnies away, but that isn't working yet. Fortunately, they are well trained children, and pee in the mulched walkways, not on the plants! And my children are on a very good diet LOL...

I read somewhere about how people used to get their tomato seedling from a sewage plant somewhere. That *really* gave me the creeps.
cottonpicker
Audubon, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2005
10:37 AM

Post #1486601

As far as human urine is concerned, it's sterile as long as there's no disease present.
VGMKY
Louisville, KY

May 21, 2005
12:22 PM

Post #1486708

Tamara, I love the fact that you have the boys "watering" the garden path. What wonderful memories they will have! lol They may even grow up to be gardeners and consider this as one of mama's methods of raising big tasty tomatoes. May you have fewer bunnies and bushels of great tasting tomatoes!
Gary/Louisville
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2005
1:29 PM

Post #1486817

LOL ahh Tam when you send the kids I'm going to have to find let em come inside to tinkle.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2005
2:24 PM

Post #1486923

Saint, if you can catch them before they whoop it out, good luck!

Larry, Yes, i was thinking sewage would not be sterile. And my boys are healthy as a bees knees.

Gary, thank you :-) Fewer bunnies is always a good thing...
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2005
2:31 PM

Post #1486945

lol...Can see it now that I finally have my big boy trained the little ones are going to undo all my hard work. *G*

Little boys are so much more fun I think that girls (can you tell we didn't have lots of boys in my family) I have a few boys from my old neighborhood that call and I go pick up so they can come over (to do what I have no idea) but they are funny as heck. The things that they can have fun with just amaze me. Take for instance the scale, I had it on my kitchen floor and they thought it was the neatest thing to weigh themselves a million times. And the hours they could spend playing with the foodsaver are endless! We have a tennis court that we pay for with our HOA fee's that I've promised to get old equipment so they can go play (pretty sure this is going to be chasing the other around the court with them)

It would be a neat thing though if they wanted to come over and do fall planting with me and I could buy them pots etc to do something they could take home. Humm what is the easiest thing to grow? Something they might even eat.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

May 21, 2005
2:42 PM

Post #1486978

As a retired Microbiologist who specialized in human infectious disease and taught med students for many years this has been a tough thread for me to read. LOL

The secret to growing BIG tomatoes is to chose a variety that has the genetic capacity to grow BIG fruits.

All else is seconday. ( smile)

Carolyn
VGMKY
Louisville, KY

May 21, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1487093

Carolyn, this started out as a tongue 'n cheek make you chuckle attempt. It has taken a different direction. lol It is entertaining to say the least!
As an aside note, before my retirement as a Director of Facilities in residential treatment facilities, I was responsible for many areas as well as a certified Food Service manager and Waste Water Treatment Plant Operator. (WWTP = sewage) With clorination of the effluent water flow, the purity of the water was drinkable.
Effluent guidelines are national standards for wastewater discharges to surface waters and publicly owned treatment works (municipal sewage treatment plants). We followed effluent guidelines for categories of existing sources and new sources under Title III of the Clean Water Act. The standards are technology-based (i.e. they are based on the performance of treatment and control technologies); they are not based on risk or impacts upon receiving waters.
Gary/Louisville

Judy81350
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2005
3:52 PM

Post #1487106

I was taught early on that you can sterilize manures by putting plastic over it and letting the sun bake it. I've been using horse manure for years and I haven't had any problems because of it. Now I'm going to start wondering. lol Maybe that nagging whinny I do now and then is a by product of manure use. lol Years ago, I talked to an old farmer. He told me the best way to judge a useable manure was to determine if said manure came from a meat eater or a plant eater. Anything from a meat eat is taboo, but plant eaters is ok. Makes sense to me. I'm still going to try that deal my mom did. She used her household leftovers for mulch. Like lettuce, peelings, egg shells, stuff like that. No meat, or things of that nature, like say lasagna, meatloaf. Only vegetable waste. She had the best tomatoes on the block. She learned that from my old neighbor. Mrs. Large's Dahlias were huge!! She had a huge avocado tree that had the biggest avocados I had ever seen. This was when I lived in Cali. Our fig trees were insane with figs. I hated figs. She buried all kinds of stuff around them or by them. Ok, now I'm wanting to make my yard like that. Mom's yard was a garden paradise. I'm rambling again. lol
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2005
3:57 PM

Post #1487122

lol..well a whinny isn't so bad...but if you get colic your on your own!

I'm not ever letting Gary and my DH together (DH is an env engineer who specialty is waste water) and since he's not using that now in the P&P he's employeed if he ever finds someone who knows what he's talkin about he has a ball. All the while my eyes glass over and I start to drool at the mouth.
Judy81350
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2005
4:07 PM

Post #1487144

lol...baaaaad colic, baaaaaad. Stay away from me AND my horses. lol

Here in Arizona we have water reclamation. The water that has been treated from the sewage plants are used to water the trees, bushes, etc. along the city streets and highways. I think thats a good use of water that comes from a sewage treatment plant. We can also use our grey water from our homes to water non edible plants. I'm thinking of doing that soon. Good use of shower and washer water.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2005
6:38 PM

Post #1487391

We have a gray water line in our house, that waters our back pasture, mostly yucca and mesquite. I hope to one day establish a large man-made pond back there, and make it a wildlife haven.

If you colic, DON"T ROLL OVER :-)

Carolyn, your insight is always appreciated!

Yes, my boys have fun doing the simpl.est things. One day I will be rich for sellin gall their un-needed toys on ebay LOL
Judy81350
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1488097

Soon we'll be fixing it to where all our grey water will water our landscape. I have Cottonwoods and they need lots of water. The place we lived in before this place had a grey water line. Those Cottonwoods were beautiful. What a way to recycle your own water. We haul our own so it would really save us from having to haul so much.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2005
4:54 AM

Post #1488492

That is soooo cool...

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2005
12:35 PM

Post #1488790

How about this one fertilized with composted horse manure (at planting)and fish fertilizer, during the growing season?
I had quite a few about like this with one about 3.5 pounds...

(I agree; *don't* use "manure" from carnivores! And horse manure has to be composted.)

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
Click the image for an enlarged view.

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2005
1:32 PM

Post #1488877

lol shhhh Pass just tell em it's that good Bama soil! Indian Springs is on 65 isn't it? Going up towards B-ham?
cottonpicker
Audubon, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2005
2:31 PM

Post #1488970

Passiflora,,, what was the variety of the gigantic 'mater shown in your picture?
jmhewitt
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2005
3:35 PM

Post #1489081

Now I am going to gross you ALL out:

What was the most sterile liquid on the battlefield more than 200 years ago? ...and used for washing out wounds?

Michael
BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2005
3:36 PM

Post #1489084

brandy but they drank it all, so they had to use urine?
Tomatoholic
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2005
7:06 PM

Post #1489428

Passiflora, nice mater friend.
One of y'all told me (was it Flip or Ed?) that I should go get a bunch of sheep dung from my parent's ranch and compost it in my backyard. My sister says that you can get a composting contraption so that it won't smell. I'd still have to get a sign off from my neighbors and the HOA if I got one. Does anyone know where you get a composting thingie? Or make my own?
Thanks, Michelle
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2005
7:10 PM

Post #1489440

I think you can buy composted poo poo at HD. Is that as good?
kingedking
Inverness, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2005
7:52 PM

Post #1489491

Michelle - Super Duper Pooper Scooper and Smeller Mellerer - pg 48 in the Sears catalog. ROFL

Check out the "Soil & Composting" Forum here at Dave's. Composting "equipment" can be anything from just a spot on the ground where you pile your compost "stuff", up to fancy plastic "compost bins" where you turn a crank to mix eveything up. They look like little cement mixer thingees.
sunnyskies
Eagle, ID
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2005
10:04 PM

Post #1489775

As the proud owner of a septic tank, I would like to let you know (if you didn't already) that the top layer that Tom used from the septic tank, wasn't just urine. When you flush, it all goes down folks. Doo doo and all. Gets all pureed up down there and so...what was on top was a compost of sorts!
Can't go there either though. I will use the idea of the chicken tea compost though.
I always have the DH and kids keep whatever fish they catch and bring them home. What we don't eat, I make a fish emulsion of sorts. Throw the fish into a five gallon bucket add water, cover (definetely cover!) and let sit until you need it. Even a weak solution is better than plain ol water. Then I add more water ect... until the fish are gone. Stinky and if you have neighbors it might not be the best idea. When I took the top off my bucket after it had sat for 6 months I thought the smell would never stop. The neighbors were not happy at all with me, but when they saw the size of my plants and tomatoes they were jealous.

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2005
10:06 PM

Post #1489778

ewwie yuck..
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2005
4:01 AM

Post #1490581

Six months! With the heat we have here right now, I would have the authorities out here in six days! :-)

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2005
12:11 PM

Post #1490936

Cotttonpicker, I think that one was "believe it or not". I got other ones just about as large with the "aussie" variety. I'm gonna make a tomato web page one of these days; I took a lot of photos; I grow 18 different types every year.

Araness, you are right about the location of Indian Springs. The soil is so hard I have to chop it up with a pickaxe. But my little garden spot has been improved with several years of cultivation and compost amendment. With the ground so hard, I can't rotate my tomatoes to other areas of my yard so I'm surprised I haven't had more disease problems. This is the first place I have had a garden, having moved out from the city a few years back so I could have a horse. I have just learned to grow tomatoes by trial and error.

Noncomposted horse manure is too "hot" for planting and will grow weeds, but isn't dangerous. Composted carnivore droppings can harbor parasites dangerous to humans. For example, look at what you can get from dog droppings:

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/echinococcus.html
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2005
12:23 PM

Post #1490956

True, but note that cattle and sheep are intermediate hosts for the same parasite.
cottonpicker
Audubon, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2005
12:27 PM

Post #1490962

passiflora... Thanks for the answer to my earlier question! I'd rather NOT look at the hyperlink re: doggie poo... Will be looking forward to your journal & pics!

LD
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

May 23, 2005
1:10 PM

Post #1491025

Well, all these ideas may have merrit, but I'm only familiar with using the veggie scraps in the garden like mentioned above. Mom and Dad did that, also. Buried everything except meat, and my my ... what tomatoes!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2005
3:40 PM

Post #1491361

lol no way could I do it till it was in compost form. Little Miss Nosey would be diggin it all up to try and eat...
Drew_N_Corinn
Pleasant Grove, UT
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2005
3:42 PM

Post #1491366

Anything that stinks has not been composted enough if you ask me to use in the garden... My compost smells like... Well healthy soil. I love it... I was buying compost from the local treatment plant (and will continue to do so at 15 bucks for 2 yards of the stuff) but after picking a condom out of the stuff last year I am not using it in the garden, just the flower beds. I have purchased 4 yards of EKO Compost from a local Greenhouse supply place but I am not sure what they mean by biosolids (on ingrediant on the lable) and I am not sure I want to ask but the texure and the smell of the stuff are such that I would feel comfortable letting my 3 year old play in it.

Drew
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1491372

rofl I'd say eeww yuck again but i'm laughin to hard. Now that would be something for my neighbors to gossip about (our neighbors tend to come up and look at beds etc anytime you put anything new in)

Saint
BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2005
4:05 PM

Post #1491414

Good question araness! Is the stuff from HD, or in my case KM, as good? I bought some composted manure and am wondering if it's okay to mix the manure directly in with dirt when I plant fruit trees in the back? Or is it too strong?

Saint, tell them to get to work and help you too!! ~ Suzi :)
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2005
4:10 PM

Post #1491422

*G* first condom they found the older ladies would run for the hills...and I'd be laughin so hard I wouldn't be able to do anything. But I am intrested in the fact you bought it from a treatment plant. I wonder whom you talk to about this. We need to fill in our bed in the front (our soil is past sucky) and several places in the back so this would be a really neat thing for us. Ok Ok so the DH would be the one messing with it till I made sure nothing yuckie was going to pop out. What can I say I'm girly about that kinda stuff...

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2005
4:33 PM

Post #1491481

Farmerdill, cattle and sheep *are* intermediate hosts. As are humans, in an accidental way. That means they don't pass the worm/eggs in their feces like dogs do. They get the worm encysted in their muscle and brain just the way humans can. So cattle and sheep dropping are safe to use on the garden whereas dog/fox/wolf/carnivore feces aren't. When carnivores eat the meat of the intermediate hosts, then they get the intestinal form, which causes them to pass eggs. It's a big circle with two stages. You either have intestinal worms and pass the eggs or you have worms in your muscle and other organs and get sick. Echinococcus is just one example of why you shouldn't mess with carnivore droppings or garden with it.

(Yup I have a background in medicine and zoology)
LEEMARTIN
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2005
3:26 AM

Post #1492997

We have in an old chicken-house at the home we rented last year, with 10 inches of 25 year old Dried chicken manure. House is 12 x 40 and has been dry all this time. We are piling this prize in one corner for future use.

We started 2 --25 gallon containers of tea using 2 1/2 gal of dry each from the floor. It is fermenting very well. we will use one then start another.
We have been diluting the "tea" 1 1/2 gal to make 15 gal in battery operated power sprayer to go over our flowers and vegies and gourds. Yes, the tomatoes, all 300 of them, got their share
Have "fed" 75 gal of mix this week. We are working on 3.5 acres of market garden and flowers. We plan on a 2 to 3 week feeding, both foliar and on the soil, till harvest.

Can I eat the tomatoes??? Bet your life.

Years back when it was available, we hauled the "bio-solids" from the evaporation ponds at the city disposal plant.., The plant used "cooking" process which generated methane gas which was used to heat the solids to produce more methane. The "cooked" solids were then drained into evaporation pools and ended up as "dried" fertilizer. Mixed with trhe leaf mulch, also from the city, along with horsey apples and rabbit smart pills, added much to our family garden and pantry.
All 5 kids and spouses can garden well, using many of the "old" ideas.
As a boy I loaded many, many cow piles and horse apples into the spreader to go to the corn and bean fields for fertilizer. Didn't smell too good but I had my own spendin money for the weekend.. Whole $20.00 a week. Gas was 22 cents a gallon.
God Bless the USA
jmhewitt
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2005
4:02 PM

Post #1493908

Do any of you ever buy Milorganite? I understand that is the composted product of the Milwaukee, Wisconsin sewer department.

http://www.milorganite.com/

A lot of people think it is wonderful!

Michael
sunnyskies
Eagle, ID
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2005
6:29 PM

Post #1539344

Hi jmhewitt,

My Dad grew up in Chicago and he swears by milorgonite. In fact it's a secret he doesn't give out very often. He uses it on his lawn and it's the greenest prettiest lawn around.
Also, this is gonna gross people out-- my son had alot of strange blisters on the soles of his feet. They wouldn't go away no matter what meds we put on them. My dad (darling dad) told him to urinate on them every day. Guess what? In a week the blisters were gone.
Also, alot of acne patients use the first morning urine on their faces. Never had to try that, thanks very much!
HotPepperDan
Flanders, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2005
6:46 PM

Post #1539377

I'm going to stick with my zits, if I get any, and pass on the number 1, for facial improvements.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2005 4:38 PM

This message was edited Jun 11, 2005 6:14 PM
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2005
8:44 PM

Post #1539624

eck, maybe I need to stop watching this thread, LOL!
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 12, 2005
6:19 PM

Post #1541891

Milorganite is great stuff. My sister started using it a couple of years ago because she heard that it would keep the rabbits away. I've also heard reports about it repelling deer, although I can't confirm that. It has not slowed down the squirrels however.

My mother quit using Milorganite when she found out where it came from. I guess if you're squeamish you can use it on non-edibles.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2005
12:37 AM

Post #1545238

We use a mixture of Milorganite, Epsom salts, Ironite (granular), 5-10-5, along with lots of our own compost and have wonderful tomatoes. Haven't tried or even wanted to try any human waste of any kind. I've read this thread from top to bottom and have learned a lot. Thanks everyone. It's like 15 minutes classes in all subjects, being on DG. Amazing!

BriarRose: I believe you can incorporate HD deoderized manure right into your planting hole and it won't burn a thing. One year a friend wanted to give my DH a birthday present and I said the only thing he needed was manure and they brought out 4 bags of a Texas manure, packaged in a gold bag. That was the best "stuff" we've ever had! She still can't believe she gave s*it for a gift!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
12:39 AM

Post #1545242

Now do the horses in TX poo better than other horses? I mean I'd think horse poo was horse poo..
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
12:56 AM

Post #1545282

Actually I think it is bull manure. In real time, the composted cow manure sold at Lowes, HD, and walmart contains bark and other vegetation and is rated O.5-0.5-0.5. The real stuff can can be 1.0-1.0-1.0. Twice the percentage of nutrients.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
12:58 AM

Post #1545287

Thank goodness...was going to start to wonder if something in the grass or something in TX was THAT good...I've had my vet offer me stuff from his horses but...have a hard time thinking about what I'd be stickin my hands in. LOL...I'm a big ol wuss
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2005
1:13 AM

Post #1545320

Close your eyes and wear some heavy duty gloves and just get busy spreading it or incorporating it. Ours was the higher numbered variety of "stuff" and I just wish we could get more.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
1:15 AM

Post #1545323

lol..I am sooo not sending you bull poo..well ok I would but...*G* Wonder if that has a special "bulk" rate.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2005
1:17 AM

Post #1545330

In a nearby town they're raising Bison. I wonder...
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
1:19 AM

Post #1545335

I wouldn't think it would be hard to find bull poo. But I guess the quality depends on what the bull eats and how well he's taken care of.

BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2005
1:48 PM

Post #1546361

Hey Pirl, thanks for the reply! Appreciate it! ~ Suzi :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2005
8:25 PM

Post #1547380

BriarRose - we were away or I'd have answered sooner. We were on Cape Cod and at the flea market I saw a sign for our favorite town, Provincetown, at the tip of the cape. They abbreviate the name of this particular town and I bought the sign and put it in our half bath:

"P'town"

Isn't that just perfect for a memory of Provincetown, the placement in the bathroom and this most unusual ca ca #1 and #2 thread?
BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2005
9:33 PM

Post #1547514

Absolutely perfect! ~ :)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2005
10:37 PM

Post #1547651

You couldn't have found a better sign!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
11:31 PM

Post #1547744

LoL...bet that's cute. Did you enjoy the trip to the Cape? I bet it's so pretty, one of these days...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2005
12:54 AM

Post #1547944

It's my personal heaven on earth. The dunes, the salty air, whaling ships, Rugosa roses, National Seashore, P'town for sure - their shops, their people, their acceptance of all people, Orleans, Eastham - it's our annual treat to celebrate planting of the veggies and annuals, dahlias and acidantheras.

Wellfleet Harbor.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2005
12:55 AM

Post #1547946

The dunes at Eastham.

Thumbnail by pirl

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America