Photo by Melody

Cacti and Succulents: I wanna know the name of a plant please!

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 4, Views: 416
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2001
7:50 AM

Post #7342

my mam used to have a succulent plant which id like to get for her again (and also for me!!) it was a houseplant so its probably tender. It had large icy green leaves bout 5-6" long and constantly sprouted babies all along the edges of the leaves. I can't remember the name of it and its driving me mad!

thanks 8D,

lil
cactusmcharris
Kamloops, BC
(Zone 4b)

June 28, 2001
1:31 PM

Post #87947

Dear Lil,

With little doubt it's a Kalanchoe. Check out web references for Kalanchoe pinnatum, or possibly K. prolifera. For that matter, it could be K. 'Houghton's hybrid'.
JonD

June 29, 2001
4:49 AM

Post #88207

It could also be Kalanchoe daigremontiana, which is the most prolific at sprouting what are called adventitious plantlets on its leaves. None of the ones that cactusmcharris mentioned or this one are hard to find. They can be ordered from many succulent mail order nurseries. I would check out Bob Smoley's whose catalog is on line. I know one woman whose N. California greenhouse is infested with them. They come up in all her pots and grow faster than she can weed them. But as a houseplant they are easy and fun.
Crasulady
Valley Village, CA

June 30, 2001
6:07 AM

Post #88552

Please contact me privately, I will mail you the plant. This has light green leaves which are about 6" long. It was the plant I had in my childhood that my mom pinned to the curtain, and it grew babies in time. It drove me nuts until I could find it again. It was located in a crack of cement next to a water spout in the Huntington Gardens Conservatory. I asked for the leaf, held it and actually cried, it brought back so many memories of 60 years ago. The name will be included. Norma
Now how do I get my email address to you? Norma
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2001
4:32 PM

Post #90640

thanks crasulady, ive sent you an email. I told my mam i was looking for it and she was really pleased, i think we lost it in a move.

lil

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America