Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: concrete stain

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 7, Views: 158
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2005
11:46 AM

Post #1500872

I'm making one of those concrete mold patios.It will come right up to my ponds.I made a section and its blinding white,not at all natural looking .I'm using the field stone mold and I want to stain it and use a sponge to apply different colors so it will look more like rock.Since the colorant is a ridiculous price and the patio is quite large we had decided to use concrete stain.
I have googled it and came up with stains and acid stains
Whats the difference between them?
Would it be harmful to use acid stain so close to the pond?
I want a more translucent look,not painted...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2005
11:55 PM

Post #1502128

Behr (Home Depot carries it) makes a semi-transparent stain in a variety of nice colors. I stained 2 concrete pots for my sister with it. These pots have 2-3 coats with a brush but one coat daubbed on would have colored it fine, and not look like paint.

My guess would be that an acid stain actually etches the concrete so the stain can penetrate better.

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2005
11:56 PM

Post #1502130

Color chart

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2005
1:36 AM

Post #1502304

Cool

thanks so much
thats what I basically needed to know and the pots look wonderful
Did you have to use a sealer too?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2005
1:42 AM

Post #1502316

Nope. Just did them in March and my sister is selling so I have no idea how the stain will hold up, but I'd guess quite well.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2005
2:08 AM

Post #1502404

Its off to HD tomorrow...
wonder how long to wait for the concrete to cure before using?
somewhere I heard 30 days

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2005
2:49 PM

Post #1503493

Well, concrete DOES take 30 days to "fully cure" (gain maximum strength) but I don't see any reason not to stain it within even 24 hours.
TNTulip
Nashville, TN

May 30, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #3551396

Hi - I found this thread after searching for some ideas on how to color a walkway that I'm making out of Quikrete using the molds. It sounds like you might have worked on a similar project so I'm wondering if you ever found a good coloring product for this and if you would mind sharing a photo so I could get an idea about what it will look like??

I'm using the "cobblestone" mold so I would like to color the "cobblestones" different (transparent) colors to look more like fieldstone. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM
light bulbs keep going out rubyw 16 Dec 7, 2007 11:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America