-
AuthorContent
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2005
6:46 PM

Post #1501619

Thanks Dave for the diary, it's amazing how you respond to our wishes. I'm trying to decide how I can best use both. I've spent a lot of time creating the journal, it has a lot of really good features and I've learned to navigate it pretty well. Now my wish is that I could access my journal from that side menu in the diary and the diary from the journal. So when I'm writing in the diary I could easily refer to the journal. And I still think the option of being able to access all entries in the journal by date would be helpful. We're never satisfied are we?

I really started this thread to get ideas about how to set up my diary. If I have more than a day to day journal how specific should the tabs be? My first thought was to have a tab for each garden but then I'd be setting it up similar to the journal where I have each garden as well as each plant. That would be duplicating what is in the journal. Another option is to just name the garden that I did work in, but will I be able to easily find it later. Can we search the diary?

In the diary I think I want to write more general things, like, "I deadheaded most of the garden today." "I added blood meal to ..." The weather, where I watered, etc. I don't want to duplicate in the diary what I've done in the journal.

I'm a person who loves to set up an organized way of doing things (and spend hours doing it) but then I often get it so complicated that I throw up my hands and don't use it. I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to do this in a "simple" way. I'm going to make my journal public at least for a while, maybe you Dave's Gardeners could can help me think through this.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2005
7:27 PM

Post #1501721

barbur, I'm wrestling with the same thing. I think I've settled on using the diary as a daily log, plus a place I can set up tabs to record projects I work on (renovating or creating a bed, etc.)

My journal will become strictly for recording each plant's lifecycle (which I think is what Dave had in mind when he originally devised the journal.) I agree the navigation needs some tweaking - between the two, as well as within each area.
greenink
Hope Town Abaco
Bahamas
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1797887

Barbur,

I really enjoyed reading your Journal...I have been working on mine, using it primarily for doing an Inventory of our Gardens. It's done in a different way than yours. I haven't done as much as you have, but am trying to keep moving along with it!

I wanted to see more photos of your Gardens!! They sound so interesting.

I started with a diary, but quit and went to the Journal. Still don't know what I'll do with Diary, but want to complete the Inventory while I'm "on a roll".
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2005
4:33 AM

Post #1802153

Thanks Greenink, for the compliments on my journal. I am presently finding the diary more enjoyable to use, but it is pretty humdrum. I haven't added photos because I have dial up internet and it takes some time to upload photos. The names of some of my gardens/beds are probably more interesting than the gardens really are. For instance, English Castle Ruins garden got it's name because it is a raised bed made of stacked recycled bricks. It made me think of some Castle ruins that we visited in England, thus the name.
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9672726

This is an old post but it brings up an interesting question. I found this post while doing a complete read through on this forum. (Yes, I'm crazy!)

For the Journal and Blog(Diary) newbies, as well as for those who are not so comfortable with their computers for any reason, this is what I do:

Whenever I am working with my Blog and Journal, I open my Blog in one tab on my browser and my Journal in another tab - switching from one to the other is easy, an the bonus is, that when you switch back, you come back to exactly the place you left off in the first tab! I'm putting this information up because I remember when I started using the Internet, it took me quite a while to realize that you could have the same site open in more than one tab at a time. When the penny finally dropped it was a real "DOH!" moment.

Ciao, KK.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other DG Journals and Diaries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Online journal - getting started Terry 219 Apr 1, 2008 1:12 PM
    Journal "wish list" requests here, please Terry 178 Aug 25, 2014 3:44 PM
    The Garden Diary is ready for testing dave 159 Aug 18, 2008 7:51 PM
    "Watching" a Garden Diary dave 18 Jul 2, 2013 7:36 AM
    How to set up your diary hgurule 25 Jul 16, 2010 5:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America