Photo by Melody

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: A couple of silly questions...

Communities > Forums > Indoor Gardening and Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Indoor Gardening and HouseplantsReplies: 9, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
danak
Olympia, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2005
10:11 PM

Post #1501995

Okay, these should be really easy questions to answer:

First, can hens and chicks (Sempervivums) be grown as houseplants? I recently got a Euphorbia-- just one stalk-- and I thought it may look neat to plant a couple hens and chicks around the bottom of it since there's room for now. Might this work?

Second, how many spider plantlets do you usually pot into one pot, and what size? I have some babies that I'd like to pot up, but I don't have any adults to compare. :)

Thanks,
Dana
celestialtexas
Clermont County, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2005
10:24 PM

Post #1502008

I usually plant 3 babies in a pot. Most of the 10" pots that I've gotten in the past had 3 - 4 plants. It depends on how bushy you want it to look. As far as the h&c's, my friends mom grows them in and outside. She only plants them by themselves. I don't know to much about those guys as I've never had any.
danak
Olympia, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2005
10:58 PM

Post #1502065

Oh, thank you! Now I can plant my spiders, and I guess it can't hurt to give the hens and chicks a try.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2005
1:26 AM

Post #1509181

Yes, you can grow Sempervivum soboliferum as a houseplant, PROVIDING you don't overwater it. It will need to be almost bone-dry and in bright light, in a soil mixture of 3/4 sand and 1/4 good potting mix.
danak
Olympia, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2005
1:33 AM

Post #1509196

Thanks! I really like them, so it will be fun try them indoors, too. I appreciate the pointers.
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

June 14, 2005
3:42 AM

Post #1545808

The first question, I would not because hen & chicks like cool weather, or they flower then die. Euphorbia come from Madagascar, and like it warm. Semps. come from Europe in cool mountain regions. Love the snow. The would love Ohio, it has winter snow. I need to shade mine with a 50-80% shade cloth in the summer. But I live in So. Calif. Norma
danak
Olympia, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2005
5:18 AM

Post #1545929

I have a whole bunch of hens and chicks, so I can risk trying a couple in with the Euphorbia. So far so good, but we'll see if it works long term. I'll let you know the results of my experiment. :)

yeye5

yeye5
Hastings, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9078506

Glad I found this thread! I just got a small container of sempervivum soboliferum --I just like the waty it looks but I didn't have much information before bringing it home. One of the outstanding things I didn't know is that it prefers cooler climates. I am in zone 9a (listed as the hottest zone it will tolerate?). I wonder about planting it outside in the cactus and succulent area I have started? Or potting it up (because it is very crowded) and keeping it indoors?
There are several little offshoots that are around the main plant, still contained--barely--and one little offshoot that it hanging outside of the container by its root. How do I separate the little one falling out of the container to plant it on its own?
Three questions at once...sorry for overloading the post. I appreciate advise and help with this awesome plant!
granitegneiss
Norridgewock, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9165911

Re the offshoot, just clip with fingers or scissors. Give more water until established.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9170703

Danak, there are no stupid questions. The only way to learn is to ask. Luciee {;^)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
prayer plant carrjohn 8 Jul 9, 2008 4:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America