Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: "Gasless" Beans

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 3, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2005
2:47 PM

Post #1505657

The thought of flatulence has caused many to hesitate from eating beans and many who have eaten them suffer discomfort. Help is on the way!

There are three recommended natural ways to reduce the problem: 1) rinse after overnight soaking, then parboil for 5 minutes and rinse again; 2) cook the beans with a few caraway seeds; and 3) eating beans more often allows the system to become better able to handle them.

You may find that as you add more grains and beans to your diet, you have more intestinal gas. The good news is, your body will eventually adjust (as Dr. Ornish says "It will pass...") Until then, try this: Try putting a couple of slices of fresh ginger or a couple of teaspoons of powdered ginger in with the beans when they are cooking. It adds no taste, and removes the gas problem.

Researchers have evidently developed a gasless bean. There are also two products on the market, one a liquid whose maker claims a few drops does away with flatulence, the other a small charcoal pill taken with the meal. Those who have used them guarantee they alleviate the problem completely. The pills are available at drug stores.

When next encountering the mighty bean try one or all of these recommendations.

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2005
3:02 PM

Post #1505686

Thanks for the info, Darius. As you suggested in your Cuban Food recipe, I poured off the water used to soak the beans and that worked great.

Judy
TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2005
3:24 PM

Post #1505719

Nice thread, Darius! I'm a bean lover, and while I've found that pouring off the soaking water is a must, I haven't heard of cooking with caraway seeds or ginger. Will have to try that. :)

My mother used to say that cooking the beans with a large carrot will 'take away the fire'; as children, we used to taunt one another to eat the carrot. LOL I have never found evidence that this actually helps, but can't imagine that it hurts to add a little vitamin A and make a contribution to the compost pile afterwards.

Does anyone have any tricks for cooking with canned beans? It seems that the original comments refer only to cooking dry beans.

Donna

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2005
7:20 AM

Post #1507266

My spousal unit uses the canned beans when making chili often. He just adds them late and then after they heat up, he turns off the stove and lets them sit in the chili overnight to absorb the flavors.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America