Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Anyone for a San Antonio "Nursery Date"?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 154, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2005
10:41 PM

Post #1506389

For convenience, I am posting this to the top of this thread:

(6/12) The order of the nurseries has been changed
(6/16) Rainbow Gardens location has changed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturday, June 18th, 9:30am, meet at the first nursery.

1st nursery, Milberger's, 3920 North Loop 1604 East

Lunch, to be announced

2nd nursery, Rainbow Gardens, 8516 Bandera Road

Attending:
htop (Hazel)
dstartz (Donna)
calalily (Susie)
kipper2 (Kip) and guest
bettydee (Veronica)
Jester (George) maybe
dave (Dave) perhaps part of the day
jorge (Jorge) at least for the nurseries

I will make changes to this as they occur. Anyone else want to join us? Tickets are still available! :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Here's how we started ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Around the beginning of May there was a thread discussing which nurseries in San Antonio are worth a visit to out-of-towners: (see May1st and 2nd)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/499958/

I wanted to check some of these out, and htop (Hazel), silverfluter (Mary Lee), and I thought it would be fun to get together for a "nursery date", and follow up with a meal. I have finally rested up from all the traveling I did in April and May (don't know how you do it, Donna!), saved up some more gas money (don't know how you do it, Donna!), and now I am itching for the nursery date. I'm thinking June 11, 18 or 25. (Donna, which of those weekends will you be in Houston?)

Yes, I know it will be hot, but we're Texans, we can take it. Besides, when has a little heat kept us out of our gardens or away from a nursery? :-)

Be sure to wear your Dave's Garden t-shirts!!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2005 6:15 PM
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2005
2:00 AM

Post #1506739

Maggie,

Any of your dates could very possibly work for me. (The mums won't be sent until a Tuesday after June 17th.) Set a date I'll work toward being there.

(Just the thought of being rested is a hoot! We got in from WY last night at 8. When I was walking through the house at 6 this morning I couldn't get my eyes to stay open and I kept falling over hitting the walls... My diesel is a business expense.)
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2005
3:23 AM

Post #1506901

Walking into walls, that's not a good sign... :->

I like June 11 or 18 better than the others. Anyone? htop? silverfluter? (Maybe everyone is away for the holiday?)
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2005
9:33 AM

Post #1507298

June 18th is better for me; but, whatever date the most people are able to come is fine with me.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 30, 2005
2:07 PM

Post #1507622

June 18th is my anniversary. Wonder if DH would mind going plant shopping?
Well I just asked him and he said "That would be okay".

This message was edited May 30, 2005 9:09 AM
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2005
6:54 PM

Post #1508324

Well, magiemoo...I guess that I'll take not asking me if I could make it as a "cut"???...joke, ;o), lol. It looks like I'll be able to join you ?Ladys? since we're getting into the Retail Summer Doldrums, ex slow!. The 18th would be fine with the wife.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2005
11:27 PM

Post #1508922

rotf! Kip, I forgot how how sensitive you can be, I'll be sure to send you an engraved invitation next time! :-> lol
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2005
12:31 AM

Post #1509034

"he said "That would be okay". "

Wow!!!!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2005
12:40 AM

Post #1509065

I'm thinkin' it looks like the 18th. Where's Mary Lee?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2005
7:14 PM

Post #1510891

Donna, he likes my plants and gardens, he just won't admit it in public, lol.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2005
6:17 PM

Post #1513959

I would love to join you on the 18th.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
6:54 PM

Post #1514047

This is going to be fun! So far we have Hazel (htop), Donna (dstartz), Calalily (what is your name, anyway?), Kip (kipper2), Veronica (bettydee), and me. Still waiting to hear from Mary Lee (silverfluter) (where is she?)

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2005
7:01 PM

Post #1514063

Maggie, my name is Susie.
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
8:09 PM

Post #1514240

maggiemoo, I'm planning to take the van which seats 7 including the driver. We could all meet somewhere there and all go together. Touch base if you would like to caravan out or "share the ride".
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005

Post #1514241

maggiemoo, I'm planning to take the van which seats 7 including the driver. We could all meet somewhere there and all go together. Touch base if you would like to caravan out or "share the ride".
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
8:18 PM

Post #1514261

Kip, sounds good to me. We'll talk more later.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
8:18 PM

Post #1514262

Kip, sounds good to me. We'll talk more later.

:-)
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
8:19 PM

Post #1514267

Susie! Now I'm sure I read that somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I looked. Hi there Susie!
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
9:12 PM

Post #1514344

Are you stuttering Maggiemoo ???
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
9:40 PM

Post #1514396

No, I thought maybe you were starting a new trend, and I thought I would follow along, blindly. :-)
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2005
2:55 AM

Post #1515200

I didn't realized that had happened to me. Oh the wonders of technology.

PS: I get your responce now.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2005
3:56 AM

Post #1518002

Ya'll are so funny. I need to read this thread for therapy.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2005
1:21 PM

Post #1518539

Mary Lee, we'll be happy to be your therapy any day! :-)

(But maybe we're the ones who need therapy!!) ;-)
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2005
8:31 PM

Post #1519578

Where are we supposed to meet? Was that in the thread somewhere and I missed it? I am easily confused, lol.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2005
11:07 PM

Post #1519875

Susie (see, I'm learning), I don't think we have decided that yet. I think we should leave it to the San Antonians to direct us, as they are the most familiar with everything. Hazel, I guess that means you, as you are the only San Antonian on the list. (It's not too late for others to join in!)

Also, when do we want to meet? My guess is that all of us out-of-towners are making a day trip out of this, how early is everyone willing to get there?
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2005
1:18 AM

Post #1520128

I will be staying in New Braunfels so I could do 8:30 to 9, with emphasis on 9. (I'm only a morning person when ballooning. ;-> )
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 4, 2005
2:08 AM

Post #1520263

It takes me about 5 hours to get there.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2005
4:22 AM

Post #1520693

Donna, will you be in Kerrville the rest of that weekend?
hashenk
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2005
2:22 PM

Post #1521244

There’s a great website: http://www.giyp.com it’s the Green Industry Yellow Pages…you can find just about anything on it.

May be worth a visit...before you guys try to go visiting!
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2005
3:13 PM

Post #1521364

Would anybody other than me be interested in seeing if Color Spot would let us tour their facility?
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2005
7:41 PM

Post #1521904

Well I wish I could go. That sounds really fascinating. I didn't know they had a place near SA. If you go take lots of pictures. I'll be with you in spirit.

BTW Donna, you'll have mail in a minute.
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2005
1:26 AM

Post #1527042

Having just got back from Fort Davis for a family reunion and going GAGA over all the natives in that area in full bloom because of the rains over the past 3 months, Just name the time and place and "I'll be There". Give me a couple of days to get images sorted and I'll post them on a new thread on the native Texas Plant forum.

Keep in touch with the Bat Time and Bat Place.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2005
2:04 AM

Post #1527130

ROTF!

Somebody, decide where and when. Hazel, do you have a preference for where?
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2005
2:22 AM

Post #1527174

Going thru SA this afternoon on the north Anderson Loop, I saw a humongus nursery that had a big parking lot and the nursery went waaayyy deep. Can't remember the name tho. CRS sets in again???????
jester
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2005
2:12 AM

Post #1529954

kipper2 were you rasied in Fort Davis? I grew up in Sanderson and played football against the kids in Fort Davis. As for the humongus nursery at the north Anderson Loop was it Milbergers? They have a nice one there/
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2005
3:14 AM

Post #1530151

jester, no, I'm an almost 3rd generation Houstonian. I went out to Ft. Davis to the Prude Ranch for one week each year for about 16 to 18 years for the Texas Star Party. It's an annual gathering of amateur astronomers which I was an avid member until I got into gardening. Still enjoy the DARK skies and the beauty of the area out there. If I could make a living out there, I'd move in a minute.

Yes!, You are correct. That's the name I remember.

This is just a small image of why this born-in-the-city boy luvs it out there sooo much.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2005
3:30 AM

Post #1530170

I like it out there too. But it's very interesting how some people will look at the same terrain and think "But where are the trees?" I met someone recently that didn't even think SA had trees. She was from Pennsylvania and needed to go home.LOL
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2005
1:59 PM

Post #1530833

This is one of the reasons I think many of us need to really explore our own state. It has so many different landscapes to offer and to appreciate. I confess that I'm one of those people who likes to have trees around me, I suppose because I have spent so many years in the East TX piney woods. But I can really enjoy these other vistas, too.

I guess we'll need to go over the other thread about San Antonio nurseries to figure out where we want to go. I'm thinking no more than two nurseries for the day, since so many of us are traveling home the same day (and we want to leave plenty of time for talking, right?)

Susie, since you're driving the farthest, why don't you tell us what time you'll be there, so we'll know when a good start time is?

Jester (George), will you be able to join us?
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2005
2:55 PM

Post #1530988

Rainbow Gardens is a must see, but Susie has been there. The one on Bandera Road is the one I visit and from which I purchase most of my plants. I can check out the others before Our touring date to see what they are like. One of them may be closer to one of the other nuseries you may want to visit. There is another nuserery inside 410 on Bandera Road that my brother was telling me about that has an aviary, a koi pond and some other neat stuff. He didn't say a lot about the plants because he is not much of a plant person. I am changing that, however. I'll check it out too. If it is as great as he says it is, visiting both of these would save time because they are fairly close together and we could eat at a great buffet to which I took Mary Lee and her DH.

Mary Lee, did y'all like that buffet?

This message was edited Jun 8, 2005 10:46 AM
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2005
3:24 PM

Post #1531057

Oooh! that sounds good! Thanks Hazel!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 8, 2005
3:55 PM

Post #1531149

I want to go back to Rainbow, I need a few plants that they have. I wasn't impressed with the other nursery on Bandera, I think it was just called "the garden center". Is there a nursery called "Casa Verde" in SA? My friend was telling me they have unusual stuff.
dave

June 8, 2005
3:58 PM

Post #1531157

I don't know what Rainbow is like on Bandera, but the rainbox gardens at Thousand Oaks and Henderson Pass is very very nice. They have a huge variety and 6 acres to roam.

dave
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2005
4:04 PM

Post #1531173

The other nusery on Bandera Road that you visited is not that great. The one I am going to check out is a different one that is in the other direction on Bandera Road heading toward town.

Dave, the one on Bandear Road sounds similar to the one on Thousands Oaks. I have never been to that one. I need to check it out too. Thanks for the input.
loudigger
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2005
4:08 PM

Post #1531196

Hazel, the nursery inside the loop off of Bandera has closed. It was a family owned one and they recently closed it. I wish I could join y'all on the tour, but that is my weekend to work. I know you will have a great time. Wish I were there LOL. SEEYA, Margie
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2005
4:17 PM

Post #1531224

Margie, thanks for the information. That nursery belonged to a relative of a neighbor that I grew up with as a kid. I did not know this until a few months ago. I am sad it has closed. Sure wish you could join us ... maybe next time.
dave

June 8, 2005
4:23 PM

Post #1531239

Did ya'll ever come up with a final plan on where to meet, and when? I scanned the thread here but didn't see anything definite.

dave
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2005
4:57 PM

Post #1531321

We're still working on it. Waiting for Susie to give us an ETA, as she's driving the farthest. Hazel is working out which two places will be best to see, and which will be the first.

Should we just meet at the first nursery?

Margie, so sorry you can't make it. Dave, hope you can join us! I hope everyone will wear Dave's Garden t-shirts, I'll be wearing mine!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2005
5:39 PM

Post #1531437

I'll be wearing one of mine if I can get the dirt out of them. They have become my gardening uniforms. :o) If the other nursery is closed, I will have to find 2 that are close so we don't have to drive on different sides of town. Can't waste that gasoline and time for browsing around the nurseries. It would be great if Dave could come ... at leat maybe for lunch if he doesn't have time to go to the nurseries.
dave

June 8, 2005
5:47 PM

Post #1531457

It depends on which day, and which nursery. If it's on the weekend I will only be able to spare ~30 minutes so if it's one on the other side of town I might have to skip out this time. I'll wait and see what ya'll decide on. :)

dave
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2005
5:54 PM

Post #1531471

Dave, the day is Sat, 6/18 (a week from this Sat.) Hope you can make at least part of it, it would be great to thank you in person for this phenomenal site you have given us!

Besides, I want to see if you look as young in person as you do in your pics! (Are you drinking some Dave Clark elixer or something?) :-)
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2005
6:00 PM

Post #1531480

Dave, how far is Milberger's Nursery from the Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks and would you recommend us going there? I have never been to it before. Maybe we could go to that Rainbow Gardens instead of the one on Bamdera Road and then to Milberger's.
dave

June 8, 2005
6:23 PM

Post #1531542

If you are talking about Milbergers on 1604, that's only about 2 miles from Rainbow on Thousand Oaks - 5 minutes.

From Rainbow, continue east on 1000 Oaks. At the first traffick light, turn left on Jones-Maltsberger. JM "basically" intersects with 1604, and just take the service road east (toward I-35) and Milbergers is literally right there.

dave
dave

June 8, 2005
6:24 PM

Post #1531543

I've never visited it before, but have driven by many times. It looks pretty big with lots of plants. I'd be interested in checking it out.

dave
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 8, 2005
6:27 PM

Post #1531550

Y'all say what time and I'll try to be there. DD wants to go to Sea World, so we may try to come up a day early and spend the night. Can't stay the day after, my plants would get too hot!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2005
7:49 PM

Post #1531747

Okay, that means Kip and I will be travelling the furthest (right?) Kip, how far from your place to San Antonio? I'll leave my home early enough to get there when we need to leave. (My guess is that it's 3 to 31/2 hrs.)

So, what do you think guys? 9 or 9:30?

Sounds like Rainbow and Milbergers, in that order, right?
jester
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2005
12:16 AM

Post #1532369

trying to set the time aside. I will get back to everyone.
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2005
2:23 AM

Post #1532647

Maggiemoo, SA's about 3.5 hours depending on the DPS. ;o) If you're still interested on carpooling, I'm about an hour to an hour and a half, I think, from you. Send me an email and Ill shoot you a mapquest of my house.

Kip
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2005
3:40 AM

Post #1532898

Ya'll are going to have one wonderful day. I'm very jealous.LOL Why did my cousin have to pick the 18 th to get married? I can't count the times I've passed by Millberger's and said to myself "One day I'll stop". So after the 18 th I'll know for sure if I really should stop there. The Rainbox Gardens sounds really interesting too. Can't wait to hear the reports on this trip.

And I agree with Maggie, I would like to thank Dave in person for this incredible opportunity to meet other plant addicts and learn so much about plants and landscaping etc. Until I discovered this website, I just hated sitting at this computor. Now it's a treat.

htop, yes that was a great place to eat. Thanks for wonderful food and company. Wish your DH could have been there.

I'm confused about Milberger's though. I was thinking it was on I10. Is that something else on I 10 or are there 2 of them?
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2005
3:51 AM

Post #1532932

OK, I need some advice. I've finally convinced DH that it's time to dig up some Nandina. Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot we changed their name to Damdinas. They acquired their new name after we dug up, or tried to dig up some at the corner of the house where two beds intersect and they had invaded the other bed. I think it would be easier to dig up our 40 foot tall pecan tree.

Anyway, I have to find something to replace them with that will survive the drought and neglect they will receive. This spot is half way between a large pecan and a monstrous live oak. So it gets sun only from about 10 -2 or so except in the winter of course. It's on the south side of the house which helps in the winter because it's warmer. But there is another problem. This spot is in front of the porch, so if it's not an evergreen we get to look at 2 feet of bare cement wall in the winter.

I've been doing research on the PlantFiles, and so far have come up with variegated abelia, Bumble Bee abelia, rock rose, ribbon grass and something else I forgot. The variegated abelia looks really nice to me, but if it gets to be 4 feet tall it'll cover a lot of my porch. It's a very small porch and I don't want it to be closed in.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2005
3:56 AM

Post #1532951

Also I was talking to my neighbor today, and he suggested maybe just staining the cement so that I don't have to cover it. The more I think about that the better I like it. There is another part of the foundation that can't be covered with plants. I could stain that to match. Does anybody have any experience with these stain products, that is using them outside? Do they fade or peal or anything like that?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2005
4:10 AM

Post #1532981

I've seen good jobs and I've seen peeling stains. I do know that the primer also has to work like a glue so the stain doesnt' separate from the cement.

Kipper, are you and Maggie going to be traveling on I-10 through Columbus? I'd like to carpool with you and meet you there somewhere near I-10.
Veronica
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2005
7:24 AM

Post #1533236

Thanks, Dave. I think that it would be convenient for everyone to visit Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks first and then Milberger's on 1604 because they are so close to each other. I imagine Rainbow Gardens on Thosand Oaks has a comparable plant selection as the one on Bandera Road. I'll try to locate a good place to eat also. 9 or 0:30 would be fine with me. Since I live in San Antonio, either time would be okay. For those travelling in from afar, would 9:30 be better?

Susie, I haven't been to Sea World this year. I usually have a season pass and go there a lot just for exercise and to view all the beautiful plants. I live about 5 minutes from it. I hope the landscaping is as beautiful as it usually is and I hope it is a nice cool day when you go there. Enjoy your visit and be sure to try to find the time to feed the dolphins (my favorite thing to do there). It will be difficult to see and do everything at Sea World in one day so try to get there very early.

Jester, I hope you can make it.

Veronica, I'm glad you are thinking about joining us.

Mary Lee, I enjoyed our visit too. I fully understand why you have renamed nandinas "damdinas". The tall ones spread by runners all over the place and from seed. I am constantly pulling up ones that have come up from seed and digging up runners which many times messes up my other plants. I now prune off the beries before they start to drop. Digging them up is an awful task, how well I know. I have had some discussions with other DGers who disagree with us that they are a problem. The dwarf ones i have do not do this so far. My rock rose is planted in full sun and wilts in the afternoon heat. I will probably have to move it to partial shade where I used to have it. It does not stay really nice looking in the winter so you may not want to plant one by your porch. I am tryimg to come up with a plant for your spot. I'll let you know if I do. I have never stained concrete so I don't know anything about it ... sorry.

Donna, hope you can make it.

Kip, it will be fun to have you along too.

maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2005
12:56 PM

Post #1533525

Mary Lee, you might try your cement stain question on the Handyman forum. You'll almost always run into people who have done whatever you're asking about, and they give you the pros & cons, what worked and what didn't. I'll be interested in the answer myself.

Veronica, I think I-10 is the plan, should take us right past Columbus. (Speaking for Kip here) It would be great to pick you up there!

I'm really looking forward to this trip, you guys!!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2005
1:15 PM

Post #1533562

I may have some plants to give away (no trade needed). I will list what I have later to see if anyone wants any of them so that I don't pack the up if no one wants them.
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2005
4:47 PM

Post #1534062

SA is approx 3.5 hrs away so a 9:30 meet at Rainbow would work for us. Veronica, I believe Columbus and Schoebels (yummy) is @ 2 hrs from me so if you have a cell phone, email it to me and Maggiemoo and I can call ya when we hit Sealy. That way we could catch up with each other on the road. Maggiemoo, you ready for a 6:00am departure time from my house?? Yawn
;>O

PS: I might bring a friend with me.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2005
5:14 PM

Post #1534143

Kip, I'm up for it!
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2005
5:30 PM

Post #1534208

Oh, boy! Oh, boy! Oh, boy!

We're gonna get together!!!

Hazel, there is a plant I owe you from the CTRU. (You gave one of the 2 I was suppose to bring you to your brother. A ponytail palm, maybe?) If you'll let me know I'll bring it with me.

Anyone else want some plants while I'm headed that way?

Margie, :-( Well, at least we've done Milburger's together before. ;-> We'll miss you this time around!!

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2005
7:48 PM

Post #1534529

Donna, a ponytail palm is the one I need. Thanks. Is Milberger's worth viviting? I have never been there before.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2005
3:47 AM

Post #1535740

Maggiemoo, thanks for the tip on the Handyman's forum. It is a good one. There's a thread on cement staining and another one on building retaining walls. Oh boy, do I ever have questions for them.
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2005
4:09 AM

Post #1535786

A ponytail palm it is!

BTW

Happy Birthday, Hazel!!!!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2005
12:44 PM

Post #1536343

Thanks, Donna.
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2005
6:50 PM

Post #1537060

Question is...how many DGers does it take to hold down an Uber to give them the appropriate number of Birthday Spanks and can it be done 1.5 weeks later ???
:>o...

ps: Happy "B" Day, Dear !
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2005
8:35 PM

Post #1537272

Oh,no. Now I'm scared, That's a lot of spanks! :o Thanks, Kip.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2005
2:19 AM

Post #1537967

I didn't know it was your birthday Hazel!! Happy Birthday X whatever number it is.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2005
3:23 AM

Post #1538172

Thanks, Mary Lee. One year away from the big 60.
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2005
4:23 PM

Post #1539095

Milbergers is big. It's a nice setup. They have a nice tropicals section, a large tree section, loads of florals. I'm not sure which has more (Rainbow or Milbergers).

It was much bigger than it looks from the outside..

Restaurants around the area are Casaritas, Cappirallis, tanos pizza, chuys, la madeline, zios, quiznos.

I've just been told about a dinner plate hibiscus. Does anyone going have one of those?

I'm also looking for a crested elephant ear.

jorge
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2005
8:25 PM

Post #1539579

Jorge, thanks. Are there any good buffets where the food doesn't taste like it has been sitting there fort 5 days?
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2005
9:30 PM

Post #1539714

Good to hear from you Jorge! Will you join us?
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2005
10:05 PM

Post #1539770

There's a chinese buffet down thousand oaks and nacogdoches that is very good. It's just the opposite way. Not too far though. There's also another chinese buffet that just opened at 281 and 1604. I can't remember the name of it. Next time I drive that way I'll get the name.

I will join you, If not for lunch, for sure the nurseries.

jorge

This message was edited Jun 11, 2005 5:06 PM

This message was edited Jun 11, 2005 5:07 PM
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
12:30 AM

Post #1540056

(6/12) The order of the nurseries has been changed
(6/16) Rainbow Gardens location has changed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturday, June 18th, 9:30am, meet at the first nursery.

1st nursery, Milberger's, 3920 North Loop 1604 East

Lunch, to be announced

2nd nursery, Rainbow Gardens, 8516 Bandera Road

Attending:
htop (Hazel)
dstartz (Donna)
calalily (Susie)
kipper2 (Kip) and guest
bettydee (Veronica)
Jester (George) maybe
dave (Dave) perhaps part of the day
jorge (Jorge) at least for the nurseries

I will make changes to this as they occur, and for convenience I will also post this info to the top of this thread. Anyone else want to join us? Tickets are still available! :-)

This message was edited Jun 16, 2005 6:20 PM
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

June 12, 2005
12:31 AM

Post #1540062

Oh it sound like you guys are going to have a lot of fun..wish i was going with you. :(.
Sylvia
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
12:36 AM

Post #1540071

Sylvia, try to make it the next time we do this!
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

June 12, 2005
12:42 AM

Post #1540085

Maggie just let me know..anytime. I can meet you in Conroe! I have always wanted to go to San Antonio ..ever since I been in Texas.
Thanks
Sylvia:)
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
2:10 AM

Post #1540228

You got it!
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
4:32 AM

Post #1540596

Sylvia,

Maggie and I are planning a gathering in Austin next month http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/519305/ . I'm coming in from Alice (206), Maggie is coming in from Conroe (186) and hopefully bettydee is coming in from La Grange (62). Why not join us? It's only 196 miles from Dallas?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2005
12:22 PM

Post #1540974

Jorge, is the crested elephant ear xanthosoma jeoquinii?
dave

June 12, 2005
1:01 PM

Post #1541043

Cala, yes, that's what Jorge is looking for. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/53827/

dave
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2005
3:41 PM

Post #1541401

I was thinking, It might be easier for everyone to find Milbergers (bulverde and 1604), and the truth is, I think it's a bit nicer than Rainbow.

I suggest we go there first.

jorge
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2005
3:42 PM

Post #1541403

Yes, Cala, what Dave said.

Thanks Dave.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
3:49 PM

Post #1541424

When I was looking at the maps, I thought the same thing. Is that okay with everyone else? Speaking as an out-of-towner who will be trying to find our way, the easier the first stop is to find, the better. (Veronica and I will be riding with Kip, and that's scary enough!) :-)

Yes, Kip, that's cut! ;-)

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2005
3:49 PM

Post #1541425

I have an extra one, it's small but you're welcome to it.
dave

June 12, 2005
4:43 PM

Post #1541616

I second the notion to do Milberger's first. It's right off 1604 and is much easier to find and access for anyone coming from 1604.

dave
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
4:45 PM

Post #1541626

That's exactly what I was thinking.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
4:59 PM

Post #1541689

Done!
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2005
5:38 PM

Post #1541796

Cala, do you mean a crested elephant ear? I would love it.
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
6:46 PM

Post #1541934

What's the matter maggiemoo, haven't you ever done 110mph in a van ?????

Do ya wanna ?? :o)
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2005
8:52 PM

Post #1542219

Jorge, yes it's a crested elephant ear. I will bring it(someone remind me to bring that ear).
When I come in on I-37, do I take 1604 like I'm going to San Marcus or like I'm going to Sea World?
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2005
11:31 PM

Post #1542575

I just came back from Rainbow Gardens Nursery on Bandera Road. They told me that the one on Thousand Oaks is about half the size or even less than the one on Bandera Road and does not carry as many plants. Now, I don't know what to do ... The travel time between Milberger's and Rainbow Gardens on Bandera Road would be about 30 minutes or a little less I think. I will have to drive it tomorrow and check out the Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks. I was assuming that they were about the same size and had about the same selection of plants. I would hate to tell everyone how I love Rainbow Gardens and then disappoint everyone. Stay tuned ...
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2005
12:06 AM

Post #1542655

Thanks for checking that out, Hazel. I personally don't have a problem traveling 30 minutes to another nursery.

Kip, I was hoping to wait until my 100th birthday to cross that one off my list!

Susie, you'll be heading to San Marcos, it's the NE part of the loop. (Right, San Antonians?)
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2005
12:43 AM

Post #1542718

RG on Bandera does'nt look that hard to get to from Millbergers. We could just jump on 1604 and hook around on it past I10 to, what looks like, the 3rd exit.
But that's what the map shows.

Marcie, of course you don't mind traveling 30 minuets...you won't be driving

That's a cut bak atcha. hehe

Ps: My friend's coming with us. Her name is Amelia. We've known each other @ 20 something years.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2005 7:45 PM
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2005
1:45 AM

Post #1542832

Cala, 37 turns into 281. Take 281 north (all the way though downtown to the north side of town) to 1604, go east and get off on bulverde.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=milberger&ll=29.601097,-98.418033&spn=0.087402,0.128932&near=78232&hl=en

Otherwise, toward San Marcos is shorter.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2005 8:47 PM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2005 8:47 PM
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2005
1:49 AM

Post #1542839

Google puts the little marker flag on the wrong side of the highway. It's on the southeast corner of 1604 and bulverde.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1543050

Kip, you keep calling me Marcie. Is that a cut?
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2005
4:20 AM

Post #1543324

Maggiemoo, I appologize...CRS musta set in. Now I'm blank on your name. What better way to get to know someone than a "Three Hour Tour" to San Antonio
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2005
4:47 AM

Post #1543378

lol! Yeah, the "three hour tour", you're obviously the Skipper, who's Gilligan, the Professor, and Mary Anne?

I am Maggie, aka Mary (if Maggie's in trouble, I'm Mary. If Mary's in trouble, then I'm Maggie.)
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
6:16 PM

Post #1547112

Maggiemoo, is there another thread for the Austin nursery tour? I didn't know anything about an Austin tour til I read you e-mail today. I've been really tired lately, because I've been preparing for surgery, which was yesterday (Mon). I take a lot of supplements and some of them have Vit E in them. I had to cut way back on my Vit E because of the surgery, which eliminated some of those supplements. Well, atleast now I know they really do make a difference. The surgery went fine, but I'm just really tired still and probably will still be tired on the 16 th. But thanks for telling me about the trip. If I am feeling up to it, I will certainly let you know. I have been to the Natural Garden and it is really something. Thanks again. Mary Lee
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2005
6:47 PM

Post #1547174

Mary Lee,

The Austin thread is at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/519305/

I'm sorry to hear you had to have surgery!! Is everything going to be okay now?

Take care of yourself!!!!

You'll be in my prayers,

Donna
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
7:45 PM

Post #1547284

Thanks Donna, Yes I think everything is OK. I had a mammagram that concerned the doctor, so they took out the tissue in question. He said he really doubted that it was cancer, but they won't get the pathology report back til Friday. I feel fine, just very tired.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
12:52 AM

Post #1547938

Mary Lee, I'm so sorry to hear about everything you're going through. I will certainly be praying for you.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2005
5:32 AM

Post #1548698

Thanks Maggiemoo. The most aggravating thing right now other than the bills, is the tape on the dressing, but that should come off tomorrow.
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:19 PM

Post #1549093

bettydee, were you planning to ride or follow us to SA ??
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
2:24 PM

Post #1549239

I think she's riding with us. I have her cell# to call as we head out.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2005
12:19 AM

Post #1550537

Kipper, I was hoping to ride with you. I had rotor cuff surgery a while back and driving for long periods exhausts my arms.

Mary Lee, I hope the results come back negative on Friday. Have you spoken to your doctor about how tired you feel?
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
1:30 AM

Post #1550682

Bettydee, not a problem. Where would we be picking you up around Columbus?? We'll have a full van with 4 people and room in the back for "puchases".
Riders: Maggiemoo, You and Amelia (my friend)
NASCAR Driver: Kipper
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2005
3:44 AM

Post #1551126

No bettydee, I haven't. I figured it's partly just because I had surgery, but also because before surgery I couldn't take some of the supplements I have been taking. They had vit E in them and all of the units added to gether came to more than 200iu which the nurse said was the limit. Cutting back on vit e also meant cutting back on vit b and since I'm hypoglycemic I really felt it. But I'm back on all my supplements now and feeling much better. Thanks though.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2005
3:46 AM

Post #1551129

Kip, take a right after you cross over the Colorado River. That's business 71. You can see a Jack-in-the-Box and a Walmart off to the right. I'll meet you at the Walmart parking lot. It's just off I-10 to the right. I have a white Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Jack-in-the-Box ball on the antenna.

Should I take out life insurance?
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
4:01 AM

Post #1551163

Bettydee,

Is that the same exit that has the HEB Pantry store behind the Jack-in-the-Box and beside the Walmart?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2005
4:07 AM

Post #1551173

Yes, it is.
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
4:11 AM

Post #1551181

Been there in my truck a couple times... It's the Triple Crown of stops - groceries for the truck, Wal-Mart for everything else and then off to Jack-in-the-Box for a sit down meal. ;->
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2005
4:16 AM

Post #1551188

I hope everybody has a digital camera. Take lots of pictures so I can pretend I was there. LOL
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
2:51 PM

Post #1551796

Just got this image from my sister taken when we were out in West Texas. This is just one of thousands of the Century Plants. If you're wondering about my expression check out my right calf. No, it did'nt feel very good. :o)
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2005
5:23 PM

Post #1552176

The leaves of that century plant look different than the century plants I usually see. There is one growing by a fence about 8 miles from here. Each leaf must be at least 3 feet long. The compactness of this one would make it a great garden plant. Did you get any seeds?
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2005
8:10 PM

Post #1552484

Hazel, there's a chinese buffet on 1604 just west of Stone Oak.

Is the plan still Milbergers and then Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks? If it moved to Rainbow Gardens on Bandera, then the Chinese Buffet place is on the way.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2005
8:43 PM

Post #1552543

I think it moved to RBG on Bandera didn't it? I'm going to stop there on the way home anyway, lol, they have a plant I want!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
9:18 PM

Post #1552625

Oops! You're right. I'll fix it when I get home.
dave

June 16, 2005
9:21 PM

Post #1552633

kipper2, I love that agave. That is an Agave parryi, compact and unbelievably symetrical. My favorite. :)

dave
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
10:07 PM

Post #1552722

Yea, Dave... The thorns on the ends were particularly "symetrical" too. lol

BTW. Make note people, NOAA's forcast for San Antonio is a high of 99 with a heat index of 108 so be sure to pack a small cooler with fluids to preplenish yourselves and head cover.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2005 5:08 PM

This message was edited Jun 16, 2005 5:10 PM
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
1:57 AM

Post #1553207

Does anyone in this group wear those little neck kerchiefs that you soak in water before wearing?

Do they work well?
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1553331

Donna, yes they work GREAT but only in low humidity. I've used them regularly out in west Texas. Here in Houston they just do not work. The forcasted humidity in SA this weekend is somewhere in the 35% to 40%. They may work at that level. When it's in the 20% area they are FANTASTICALLY COOL. A friend of mine had a webbed vest made up and it was like walking in airconditioning when it was 102 and 20% out in Ft. Davis. I'd say give it a try...you can always remove it if it don't work.

See ya Saturday !
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 17, 2005
2:46 PM

Post #1554216

Would someone please take a camera so we can have pictures of the event. It was such fun reading about the roundup and seeing the pictures...We want a blow by blow description of the happenings on this field trip...
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
3:04 PM

Post #1554253

No worries, camera shutters will be clicking away! We'll do our best to give the virtual tour, but you have to promise to come to an event in the future! :-)
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
6:10 PM

Post #1554692

CLOSED: Okay, folks, last chance for plants from my garden! I'll be heading out the door in about an hour...

Getting very excited to see everybody,

Donna

This message was edited Jun 17, 2005 2:15 PM
dave

June 17, 2005
7:28 PM

Post #1554898

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, too. I'll be there at 9:30am wearing my DG shirt. :) If anyone wants to buy one from me, let me know their size and bring $12.

dave
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
8:46 PM

Post #1555053

Dave, you have d-mail.

Looking forward to tomorrow everyone! Pray for those of us riding in with Kip!! :-)
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2005
2:11 AM

Post #1555698

EVERYBODY READY ????????

GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES !!!!!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2005
2:31 AM

Post #1555748

The Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks is smaller than the one on Bandera, but it has a nice assortment of plants and is interestingly laid out. Maybe it is just because I am used to the one on Bandera Road, but I had a difficult time finding the native Texas plants. They were intermingled with the others. On Bandera Road, they are altogether and easy to find and the demonstartion area is nice. But, the Bandera Road nursery is still under construction and not as "nice" looking yet as the one on Thousand Oaks and I think it has fewer shadey areas to protect us from the heat. I guess we can decide on Saturday at Milberger's as to which one of the Rainbow Gardens we will visit. It is up to you guys.
dave

June 18, 2005
1:32 PM

Post #1556790

One hour to go! :-)
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 18, 2005
1:52 PM

Post #1556839

So close and yet so far away...those words just keep ringing in my ear..I know you all are going to have a blast...I want to be with you all so much...Have a wonderful time...
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2005
3:51 AM

Post #1558917

HotnSpicy, we sure wished you could have joined us. What a wonderful day.

For those of you that I gave comos seedlings, this is it:
Klondike Cosmos, Sulphur Cosmos, Orange Cosmos (Cosmos sulphureus)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/68597/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/68596/

Donna, see if this is the bloom of the plant (cutting) I gave you at the Central Texas Roundup (the one with the chartreuse bloom) ...
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/60332/

Veronica and Susie, this is the hibiscus I gave you: It needs to be planted or repotted and fertilized as soon as possible. The rooting mixture I used contained no fertillizer. It will green up very quickly.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/5740/

This message was edited Jun 18, 2005 11:13 PM
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2005
11:28 AM

Post #1559204

Thank you dear Lady, I'm sure that others forgot what it was that they left with. I had a great time and Amelia is finally, after 6 months to a year of me bugging to join, should be on either today or tomorrow. I can't believe this group really "impressed" her. I guess I must rethink the quality of my long time friends. he he (yea, a cut)
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 19, 2005
1:22 PM

Post #1559354

Wahhhhhhhh I thought of you all off and on all day...Our children were coming in to celebrate the big day today with their Dad aso Ispent the day preparing for and cooking for my children...Maybe next time but I will be at the November Kerrville shindig for sure...t's in my neighborhood...
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2005
2:06 PM

Post #1559428

I had soooooo much fun. I forgot Jorge's ear, but can mail it if I get his addy. Everyone was so nice and it was great to finally meet the folks I chat with on here.
I went a little nutz in the salvias at Rainbow and now I can't remember what half of them are, some don't have tags. I also got cuttings(no, I didn't steal them) from two new ones and I can't remember their names, I know one was "Pyramid" and one was "Blue something", seems like it had a fruity name, lol.
Thank you Hazel for the hibiscus, I like it!! I'm getting ready to go out and repot stuff right now.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2005
3:16 PM

Post #1559578

Was the pyramid this one? It could have lighter pink blooms ...
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/53972/
http://www.spnsac.org/images/Melochia tomentosa.jpg
http://botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/perdeck/jam_056.jpg
http://www.sabot.org/gguide/texas_natives.htm
If so, that was the one plant I wanted to show everyone and I wanted to buy another one because I just love it. They told me they didn't have any. Where was the "blue something" located?
Were the salvias in bloom" If so post, a photo and maybe I can ID them.
I hope that the hibiscus does well for you.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2005 10:22 AM
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2005
3:18 PM

Post #1559582

Kip, I am so happy Amelia had a good time and is joining Dave's.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2005 5:10 PM
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2005
3:40 PM

Post #1559624

Kip, tell Amelia to be sure she posts so we can be sure to welcome her! (Do you know what her username will be?)
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2005
3:51 PM

Post #1559649

Hazel, the pyramid one and the blue one were under the trees, they were not for sale but the nice guy gave me cuttings. They are supposed to be new, just introduced but they didn't have any for sale. I'm thinking the blue was Blue Bananas or something like that. I didn't think I'd forget and then I did. The other one I don't know what it is was by the Bog Sage and the Pitcher Sage and needs shade, is tall and is blue and I can't remember it's name. It was in a gallon pot and slightly resembled Indigo Spires but the leaves are darker and have a light vein. I'll take a picture. It isn't in flower.
The guy(the tall skinny guy who liked cassias) said he couldn't find any info on the two he gave me cuttings of and I was supposed to ask Monterey and SalviaLover if they knew what they were, but now I can't remember the name so I can't ask(told you guys I needed to trade for a few extra memory cells, lol).
I like the pyramid bush. It's pretty.
I'm glad Amelia had a good time!
dave

June 19, 2005
5:02 PM

Post #1559854

Pictures!!! Who's got 'em?
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2005
5:12 PM

Post #1559886

I got some, but I can't post them 'til I get home to my card reader. : - }
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2005
6:28 PM

Post #1560054

I had a wonderful time! I really enjoyed meeting some of the people on this forum. It was great to put faces to names that appear on this forum. The conversation at lunch was interesting and lively. We need to do this more often.

Thanks, Hazel for the cosmos and the hibiscus and for recommending these two nurseries. If I hadn't spent so much at Home Depot a few days before, I would have been tempted to bring back half of Rainbow Nursery. That's a place I want to return to.

Thanks, Kip for doing the driving. I'm glad Amelia is joining Dave's

Suzi, I like the way you shop!. You'll be busy repotting for days.

Donna, It was a hoot to meet you.

Mary, I really enjoyed our conversations to and from San Antonio

Dave, I'm glad you were able to join us.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2005
6:47 PM

Post #1560080

Working on the pictures. I know that Donna's pretty old ;-), but I'm older, so it's taking me a while to get going today.

What a great day yesterday!
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2005

Post #1560190

OK I'm telling all my relatives to check with me before they plan any more weddings or anything.LOL I WILL go on the next nursery tour. Can't wait to see pictures.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2005
8:14 PM

Post #1560198

Maggie, if I hadn't needed to water today I'd have slept late! I'm still repotting. I must need my head examined for buying sooooooooo many salvias(but I just couldn't resist)
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2005
8:21 PM

Post #1560213

Calla, I agree with you on the salvias. They call my name when I walk into a nursery. They are so hardy and cheerful.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2005
10:53 PM

Post #1560528

If you haven't already been there, here's the thread for the pictures: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/522260/
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2005
12:49 AM

Post #1560726

Donna, I think that the plant you were describing as having small (1 to 1.5 inches) yellowish blooms that I had given you at the Central Texas Roundup might be this one. You thought it was an abutillon. I just planted one of my rooted cuttings and said to myself ... I bet this is the Donna was talking about. I begged for cuttings from the mother plant at the San Antonio Botanical Garden because I had never seen this plant before. It is difficult to find. I have only seen it grow to about 2 feet tall and 2.5 feet in width and sort of rambles a bit. It seems to prefer filtered sun here or better yet morning sun and afternoon shade. It appears to need some sun to produce blooms. They had it growing under an oak tree.Mine just started blooming. It likes our hot weather and is late coming up in the spring. Is this it?
Chinese Violet (Asystasia gangetica)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55915/index.html

Maggiemoo, did I give you a princess flower?

Veronica and Amelia, it was so nice meeting you. Susie, it was such fun watching you picking out all of your plants for purchase and it was so nice meeting you and your family and friends. the kids were so patient with us grown ups. I hope your DH had a good time.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America