Anyone for a San Antonio "Nursery Date"?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

For convenience, I am posting this to the top of this thread:

(6/12) The order of the nurseries has been changed
(6/16) Rainbow Gardens location has changed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturday, June 18th, 9:30am, meet at the first nursery.

1st nursery, Milberger's, 3920 North Loop 1604 East

Lunch, to be announced

2nd nursery, Rainbow Gardens, 8516 Bandera Road

Attending:
htop (Hazel)
dstartz (Donna)
calalily (Susie)
kipper2 (Kip) and guest
bettydee (Veronica)
Jester (George) maybe
dave (Dave) perhaps part of the day
jorge (Jorge) at least for the nurseries

I will make changes to this as they occur. Anyone else want to join us? Tickets are still available! :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Here's how we started ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Around the beginning of May there was a thread discussing which nurseries in San Antonio are worth a visit to out-of-towners: (see May1st and 2nd)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/499958/

I wanted to check some of these out, and htop (Hazel), silverfluter (Mary Lee), and I thought it would be fun to get together for a "nursery date", and follow up with a meal. I have finally rested up from all the traveling I did in April and May (don't know how you do it, Donna!), saved up some more gas money (don't know how you do it, Donna!), and now I am itching for the nursery date. I'm thinking June 11, 18 or 25. (Donna, which of those weekends will you be in Houston?)

Yes, I know it will be hot, but we're Texans, we can take it. Besides, when has a little heat kept us out of our gardens or away from a nursery? :-)

Be sure to wear your Dave's Garden t-shirts!!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2005 6:15 PM

Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

Maggie,

Any of your dates could very possibly work for me. (The mums won't be sent until a Tuesday after June 17th.) Set a date I'll work toward being there.

(Just the thought of being rested is a hoot! We got in from WY last night at 8. When I was walking through the house at 6 this morning I couldn't get my eyes to stay open and I kept falling over hitting the walls..... My diesel is a business expense.)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Walking into walls, that's not a good sign... :->

I like June 11 or 18 better than the others. Anyone? htop? silverfluter? (Maybe everyone is away for the holiday?)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

June 18th is better for me; but, whatever date the most people are able to come is fine with me.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

June 18th is my anniversary. Wonder if DH would mind going plant shopping?
Well I just asked him and he said "That would be okay".

This message was edited May 30, 2005 9:09 AM

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, magiemoo....I guess that I'll take not asking me if I could make it as a "cut"???...joke, ;o), lol. It looks like I'll be able to join you ?Ladys? since we're getting into the Retail Summer Doldrums, ex slow!. The 18th would be fine with the wife.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

rotf! Kip, I forgot how how sensitive you can be, I'll be sure to send you an engraved invitation next time! :-> lol

"he said "That would be okay". "

Wow!!!!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm thinkin' it looks like the 18th. Where's Mary Lee?

Donna, he likes my plants and gardens, he just won't admit it in public, lol.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I would love to join you on the 18th.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

This is going to be fun! So far we have Hazel (htop), Donna (dstartz), Calalily (what is your name, anyway?), Kip (kipper2), Veronica (bettydee), and me. Still waiting to hear from Mary Lee (silverfluter) (where is she?)

Maggie, my name is Susie.

maggiemoo, I'm planning to take the van which seats 7 including the driver. We could all meet somewhere there and all go together. Touch base if you would like to caravan out or "share the ride".

maggiemoo, I'm planning to take the van which seats 7 including the driver. We could all meet somewhere there and all go together. Touch base if you would like to caravan out or "share the ride".

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Kip, sounds good to me. We'll talk more later.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Kip, sounds good to me. We'll talk more later.

:-)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Susie! Now I'm sure I read that somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I looked. Hi there Susie!

Are you stuttering Maggiemoo ???

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

No, I thought maybe you were starting a new trend, and I thought I would follow along, blindly. :-)

I didn't realized that had happened to me. Oh the wonders of technology.

PS: I get your responce now.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Ya'll are so funny. I need to read this thread for therapy.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Mary Lee, we'll be happy to be your therapy any day! :-)

(But maybe we're the ones who need therapy!!) ;-)

Where are we supposed to meet? Was that in the thread somewhere and I missed it? I am easily confused, lol.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Susie (see, I'm learning), I don't think we have decided that yet. I think we should leave it to the San Antonians to direct us, as they are the most familiar with everything. Hazel, I guess that means you, as you are the only San Antonian on the list. (It's not too late for others to join in!)

Also, when do we want to meet? My guess is that all of us out-of-towners are making a day trip out of this, how early is everyone willing to get there?

I will be staying in New Braunfels so I could do 8:30 to 9, with emphasis on 9. (I'm only a morning person when ballooning. ;-> )

It takes me about 5 hours to get there.

Donna, will you be in Kerrville the rest of that weekend?

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

There’s a great website: http://www.giyp.com it’s the Green Industry Yellow Pages…you can find just about anything on it.

May be worth a visit...before you guys try to go visiting!

Would anybody other than me be interested in seeing if Color Spot would let us tour their facility?

Well I wish I could go. That sounds really fascinating. I didn't know they had a place near SA. If you go take lots of pictures. I'll be with you in spirit.

BTW Donna, you'll have mail in a minute.

Having just got back from Fort Davis for a family reunion and going GAGA over all the natives in that area in full bloom because of the rains over the past 3 months, Just name the time and place and "I'll be There". Give me a couple of days to get images sorted and I'll post them on a new thread on the native Texas Plant forum.

Keep in touch with the Bat Time and Bat Place.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

ROTF!

Somebody, decide where and when. Hazel, do you have a preference for where?

Going thru SA this afternoon on the north Anderson Loop, I saw a humongus nursery that had a big parking lot and the nursery went waaayyy deep. Can't remember the name tho. CRS sets in again???????

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

kipper2 were you rasied in Fort Davis? I grew up in Sanderson and played football against the kids in Fort Davis. As for the humongus nursery at the north Anderson Loop was it Milbergers? They have a nice one there/

jester, no, I'm an almost 3rd generation Houstonian. I went out to Ft. Davis to the Prude Ranch for one week each year for about 16 to 18 years for the Texas Star Party. It's an annual gathering of amateur astronomers which I was an avid member until I got into gardening. Still enjoy the DARK skies and the beauty of the area out there. If I could make a living out there, I'd move in a minute.

Yes!, You are correct. That's the name I remember.

This is just a small image of why this born-in-the-city boy luvs it out there sooo much.

I like it out there too. But it's very interesting how some people will look at the same terrain and think "But where are the trees?" I met someone recently that didn't even think SA had trees. She was from Pennsylvania and needed to go home.LOL

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

This is one of the reasons I think many of us need to really explore our own state. It has so many different landscapes to offer and to appreciate. I confess that I'm one of those people who likes to have trees around me, I suppose because I have spent so many years in the East TX piney woods. But I can really enjoy these other vistas, too.

I guess we'll need to go over the other thread about San Antonio nurseries to figure out where we want to go. I'm thinking no more than two nurseries for the day, since so many of us are traveling home the same day (and we want to leave plenty of time for talking, right?)

Susie, since you're driving the farthest, why don't you tell us what time you'll be there, so we'll know when a good start time is?

Jester (George), will you be able to join us?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Rainbow Gardens is a must see, but Susie has been there. The one on Bandera Road is the one I visit and from which I purchase most of my plants. I can check out the others before Our touring date to see what they are like. One of them may be closer to one of the other nuseries you may want to visit. There is another nuserery inside 410 on Bandera Road that my brother was telling me about that has an aviary, a koi pond and some other neat stuff. He didn't say a lot about the plants because he is not much of a plant person. I am changing that, however. I'll check it out too. If it is as great as he says it is, visiting both of these would save time because they are fairly close together and we could eat at a great buffet to which I took Mary Lee and her DH.

Mary Lee, did y'all like that buffet?

This message was edited Jun 8, 2005 10:46 AM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Oooh! that sounds good! Thanks Hazel!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.