Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: Couldn't stand it

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 42, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

May 31, 2005
5:01 PM

Post #1510611

peeking over your shoulders so I decided to cough up the bucks so I could say hello...another Texan...well sort of...recently moved back home to hot weather and spicy food...All I can tell you is that we are loving it...

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2005
5:57 PM

Post #1510712

Welcome HotnSpicy, you came to the right place. Josephine.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2005
6:06 PM

Post #1510740

Greetings, HotnSpicy...you made the right decision to sign on...you'd miss out on too much otherwise. From what part of the world did you relocate? Yuska
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2005
6:09 PM

Post #1510743

Howdy HnS!! Welcome to the garden!

"eyes"
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

May 31, 2005
6:13 PM

Post #1510753

Thanks for the welcome and the relocate is a long story...We have been in a job situation where we moved about every 5 years so we retired here from a little town north of Boston, Chelmsford, close to the NH border...we had though lived in TX off and on for a long time...every time the opportunity presented itself we came running back...We lived in the Dallas area in a little town called The Colony, in the Houston area in a little town called Hempstead, and we lived for a long time in San Antonio...San Antonio is like home to us both...we both lived there for around 20 or more years...I was familiar with the Boerne area cause I lived in that area so I suggest to husband that we consider the hillcountry for retirement and we are sooooo very happy that we did...We just love it here...everything about it...I can even say after 6 years of snow and ice we even love the heat...
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2005
6:35 PM

Post #1510803

Welcome to the garden! While some people are born to TX, there are some of us who choose it! We had a Central TX RoundUp in Kerrville near the end of June, hosted by dstartz (Donna) and her DH Ernest. They don't live in Kerrville, but own property there, and plan to retire there. Another active member on this forum is silverfluter (Mary Lee), and her DH Tom. They live nearby in Fredericksburg. We're planning another RoundUp there November 12th, hope you can make it. It's so fun to meet people you've been talking to "through a keyboard", as silverfluter said. We'd love to meet you!

Here's the thread about the the first RU: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/503196/

And here's the thread about the upcoming RU: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/503336/

Once again, welcome!!
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

May 31, 2005
7:00 PM

Post #1510857

Thanks...Wow a gathering and so close...I'll make a point to get there and I am looking forward to getting acquainted with everyone here on the forums...
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2005
7:05 PM

Post #1510868

Welcome to DG HotnSpicy.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2005
2:17 AM

Post #1511946

Welcome back to Texas, HotnSpicy. My husband and I live near La Grange, about 120 miles from San Antonio.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2005
4:24 AM

Post #1512837

Welcome!
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2005
2:08 PM

Post #1513372

Glad you could join us!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2005
2:19 PM

Post #1513399

So glad that you decided to join our happy family here at Dave's Garden and that you stopped in to say hello. Welcome.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
3:41 PM

Post #1513597

welcome
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2005
6:42 PM

Post #1514023

Welcome, HotNSpicy (I love your name)!
Terrie
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2005
6:34 PM

Post #1516669

Hotnspicy, Welcome to the Hill country! Or should I say welcome back! In any case I'm glad you're here. How long have you been here? Do you have deer to deal with, or can you plant without fear?LOL I will be dividing my iris colonies soon, so if you're interested I'll add you to my list. None are identified, but they bloom well.

You are joining a wonderful group of people-very help, fun, and generous. Hope to meet you soon.

Mary Lee
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 2, 2005
7:59 PM

Post #1516891

Thank you silverfluter we arrived last Oct and bought an RV from Ronnie Bock and moved it to our property and started negoiating for the building of our home...We have taken posession of our home and my grounds are bare and mostly mud and dirt so I have plenty of room for plants, especially iris...thiey are my favorite plant although daylillies run a close second and believe it or not...I just love lantana so I'll be planting lots of lantana which as you know is prolific here but Please do put me on your list...I would just love to have some ...I do have deer to deal with on our 5 acres but we also have an Australian Shepard wwho keeps them at bay but my husband had a fence build around "the back yard" so I could garden with out worry of the deer...They march through the property every night going to a neighbors home who feed them but now that Molly has come to live with us...they march through pretty fast...Thanks for the welcome...I'll show you pictures of our place when I have time to look for them...We live off of HWY 16 about 5 miles total out of Kerrville toward Medina...we love it here...
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2005
12:47 AM

Post #1517547

Wow, that sounds really close to where Donna and Ernest have land, where he had our first RoundUp. Off of hwy 16, severals miles out of Kerrville, towards Medina...

Maybe you guys are neighbors!
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2005
3:52 AM

Post #1517994

Yes, I have a hunch they are neighbors. We'll have to let Donna know about the new DG'er in her neck of the woods. She'll be very excited.

HotNSpicy, I'll let you know when I'm ready to dig irises. If you could pick them up right after I dig them up that would be great because I wouldn't have to pot them up.
summer1953
South, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2005
4:32 AM

Post #1518070

Welcome HotnSpicy. We were just in Kerrville today. We go quite often. Glad you are enjoying it.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2005
5:34 AM

Post #1518140

I'll have some purple blooming irises (never identified) to which I will be dividing in September. I also have some daylillies Ineed to dig up then too. I will save you some.
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 3, 2005
11:58 AM

Post #1518413

Thank you so much...It is so hard starting over and leaving all your plants behind but at least I know that this is our retirement home and when we leave this one, it will be feet first so I can plant away.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2005
3:42 AM

Post #1527492

Hotnspicy, I understand. My DH was in the army 11 years. We moved atleast 11 times. He got out of the army and we moved here and bought this house. About a month later, we were still knee deep in boxes and I told him "The next time I move, I'm going out in a casket!"
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2005
3:57 AM

Post #1527524

Howdy from an uprooted, transplanted, homegrown Texan too. When I get lonesome I just drop by here. It's almost like a visit.
You'll love DG.
sidney
summer1953
South, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2005
12:43 PM

Post #1528017

HotnSpicy, I just noticed I have a packet of Cypress Vine Seeds if you would like them. There are 10 seeds in there. Let me know. Have a great day! Phyllis
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 7, 2005
3:06 PM

Post #1528353

Phyllis, that would be wonderful...I just cannot get over how generous people on this board are...I mentioned on another thread that I loved ditch lillies but that I had been forced to leave mine behind on my move and zap within minutes I had an email from someone sending me some...Thank you for your generous offer...I have a big ugly deer fence and I am trying to find vines to make it less intrusive...I would love to have the seeds. I will send you my address by the message thingy...

Ruth
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2005
6:21 PM

Post #1528793

Well, be thankful that you have a deer fence to cover. I hope it's tall enough to keep the deer out. Atleast you can plant without fear.

We live on the edge of town and deer are not far away. We see them frequently across the street looking our direction. We've been here 15 years and they have never come in our yard. Don't know why. DH calls them "rose pruners". I'm actually more worried about my neighbor's goats. He's never had goats before and thinks his fence will keep them in. Fortunately, he's planning to move soon. Mary Lee
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 7, 2005
6:29 PM

Post #1528816

Yes I believe it is tall enough...they parade through our property every day going to a neighbors home. Atually two neighbors feed and water them so at night they go over and first thing every morning they come strolling back through the property...I have a feeling they won't bother my yard either because we have an Australian Shepard who is locked inside the fence so the minute she sees them she goes running down the fence line barking at them...You can actually see them looking for our dog...It's like they are standing peeking around a tree making sure she is still in the fence...I can almost imagine one of the does say..Do you see her...No not yet...She must be out there...maybe they are not home and then Bam there's Molly chasing down the fence line...

This morning Molly was raising cane and I went to see what her problem was and she had an Armadillo cornered and was trying to herd it ...Life at the ranch...LOL
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2005
7:18 PM

Post #1528957

That's really funny. I just had a vision of your dog hearding a bunch of armadillos. LOL. That would be a sight. Keep your camera handy.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2005
8:11 PM

Post #1529106

Reminds me of that commercial where the cowboys were hearding cats, thanks for the visual! LOL

I love that cypress vine! Another vine you might consider is crossvine. It's a TX native, evergreen, and has wonderful flowers that attract hummingbirds. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1789/index.html

Let me know if you would like some, I'll pot some up here and bring it to the Nov RoundUp.
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 7, 2005
8:30 PM

Post #1529148

Maggiemoo pot some up for me...LOL when you have nothing...everything is appreciated...I have 360 feet of fencing to cover...I'm actually using a lot of the fence line for gardening...In fairness I have to share our backyard with the dog...I could fence off the back area for her but prefer for her to just learn what she can play in and what she can't...Thanks Maggiemoo, I'd love some...

silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2005
3:34 AM

Post #1530181

I have gold flame honesuckle that I guess would cover part of your fence. I just got it this spring and don't know how fast it grows or how big it gets. Mine is in a pot because I don't want it coming up all over the yard. I do know that the flowers are sterile. I have Cecile Brunner that certainly would cover part of your fence, but it might get pretty heavy. I also have a Madame Alfred that gets pretty big. Also New Dawn.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2005
3:40 AM

Post #1530190

We might also come with a few. We also have Cecile Bruner and New Dawn.
Our honeysuckle stays pretty much on the fence. Then there are the Blackberries, and some of our mystery vines that might be snail vines.
So much fence. Welcome and let us know what you would like to have. I have a few Pride of Barbados Seeds now if you would like some.
trois
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 8, 2005
12:55 PM

Post #1530701

silverflutter and trois ...you guys are so nice and so generous...I really appreciate your generosity...the honeysuckles sound great and trois, I would love some blackberries...I like the concept of an edible landscape and would like to add some berries to the yard...Thank you all...
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2005
3:28 PM

Post #1531066

Trois, I wouldd love some Pride of Barbados seeds! Let me know what you need.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2005
3:43 AM

Post #1532902

Hotnspicy, something else you might consider is cannas. I guess they are all deciduous, but they do grow fairly fast and some get very tall.
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2005
4:29 AM

Post #1533031

Alright'y--I agree with silverfluter...cannas are GREAT for Texas! Just discovered them (and it's funny how many I notice in my neighbors' yards around town now!). They're awesome for nice tropical foliage (especially Pretoria and Striped Beauty) and the flowers are lovely.

And, if maggiemoo hasn't cleared out any chance of me getting Pride of Barbados seeds??? =)

MKJ
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2005
11:49 AM

Post #1533404

We will see.
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 9, 2005
12:41 PM

Post #1533504

Cannas are good...I love them too...I just hadn't thought of them...to tell you the truth, I have never been in a situation where I had to start from scratch and I guess I am just intimidated by all the space...We also have our home situated rather oddly on the lot so that doesn't help...My thoughts are to maintain the naturalness of the lot but add bits of color and plants to decorate here and there.

I will tell you this too...I have numerous wildflowers on the property...so I have been leaving them and pamperng them in particular spots...but...yesterday my Dearly Beloved Hubster went out with his trusty weedeater and chewed them all up..I wanted to just cry...but then he didn't know did he so I spared his life...
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2005
11:33 PM

Post #1535033

I will have Pride of Barbados seeds again this year. The flowers are just now opening and the hummers have already found them. Maggiemoo, I have you and several others calendared for seeds. I will also have hyacinth bean seeds (Dolichos Lablab vine) a bit later. The lavender flowers hang in clusters.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2005
3:11 AM

Post #1535567

Are the hyacinth beans the ones that have those beautiful deep purple pods? I love those!!

Do you think you'll be able to join us for the San Antonio Nursery Date on the 18th? And/or the Central TX RU in Kerrville in Nov?
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2005
7:40 PM

Post #1537189

I will also have some cannas this fall when I rework the beds. One of them called "Intrigue" has a smaller, pale orange flower that reminds me of a bird in flight; the foliage is burgundy and reminds me of chocolate! I recently acquired an heirloom canna named Cleopatra. It is yellow with flecks of orange.

Also have passionflower vines popping up all over as well as climbing the trees. Have not been able to pot up the sprouts successfully, though. There are plenty of them to practice with; maybe I can manage it by November.

Re the Pride of Barbados seeds - I didn't mean to override Trois' kind offer of seeds *now* - just reminding myself of my promise last fall to notify you when next I had some to send.

Maggiemoo, you have mail. Yuska
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2005
9:46 PM

Post #1537399

Yuska,

When you dig out a new sprout, go down far enough to get part of the thick main root that connects all the new vines to the mother plant. I dug up some sprouts and a section of the connecting root in early April. All of them rooted and have sent out new shoots.

Veronica
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2005
9:58 PM

Post #1537429

Thanks, Veronica! I have marveled at how far away from the first plants on the fence these new shoots are when they come up. There must be a maze of an underground network. I hate to just cut them down with the string trimmer. The flowers are so beautiful, especially opening 15 feet up in the palo verde trees. My neighbor has been wanting some starts for her MIL. We'll be able to accomplish that now. Yuska

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America