Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Conjoined flowers?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
2:13 AM

Post #1511933

I was looking around the back yard this evening, looking at the differences between some of the black-eyed susans that have come up from the wildflower seed mix I first scattered last year, when I found this flower that is oblong, not round. Then I noticed the opening bud a little to the right, that is also oblong.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
2:17 AM

Post #1511947

I followed the stem down and found another bud that is oblong, really packed with foliage around it.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2005
2:25 AM

Post #1511974

Still further down, you can see that the stem is like a data cable - flat and wide. It's as though several stems fused together, and at different heights a portion veers off to form a flower. Some leaves come straight out of the flat side, the leaves that come out of the edges are four leaves stacked together. There are two stems like this coming from what appears to be the same plant. I meant to mention that the flowers seem to have twice the amount of... whatever the word is, the small green stuff behind the petals, it's as if the flowers are two, fused side by side (creating the oblong shape), and all of the under-petal stuff crammed together. Weird! I'm still pretty new to this, so maybe this happens all the time. Has anyone else run across this?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2005
5:36 AM

Post #1512897

Maggie, it looks like the bud in that first photo is also oblong. I love that velvety oval. It looks like a brown gemstone.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2005
7:07 PM

Post #1514085

Your flower looks really pretty, it is probably some kind of mutation. I had some purple cone flowers last year that were totally green, the entire flower was green, so go figure.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2005
6:37 AM

Post #1518188

I have never seen anything like this before. Save the seeds and plant them and see if the new plants do this. Thanks for sharing.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2005
2:02 PM

Post #1518647

Hazel, I was thinking of that also. But I don't remember ever seeing (or recognizing) seeds on these flowers. Maybe I'm deadheading before they go to seed? What should I do? What should I look for?
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2005
5:08 PM

Post #1519104

Just don't deadhead the blooms and let them make a seed head.
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/seedsave/2003084229008275.html
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2005
10:57 PM

Post #1519853

Thanks Hazel, looks like they will signal me when they are ready to be harvested!
ottermuvver
Austin, TX

June 15, 2005
3:20 PM

Post #1549396

Your "Austin Garden Date" reminded me that me head has been in the weeds so to speak and I hadn't done any reading here for a while. The growth is a "fasciculation" (love English!) and is caused by a non-harmful virus much like virus cause varigations. There were probably some aphids on the plant this Spring that introduced the infection. Each petal and brown nub in the bloom is a seperate flower so you sort of ended up with Siamese Twin flower stalks. Seedlings may show a higher incidence of the fun habit.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
4:59 PM

Post #1549698

What a neat word! Tahnks for your explanation, I can't seem to show this plant to enough people, it is just fascinating. The thing that really doesn't come though on the pictures is the flat, wide (ribbon-like) stem. I love looking at these, and will saving seeds.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2005
6:06 PM

Post #1549832

Thats really cool. Welcome to DG, ottermuvver!

John
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2005
2:50 AM

Post #1555779

ottermuvver, thanks for the information. I have learned a new word today.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America