Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: Baseball sized hail!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 8, Views: 0
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2005
3:17 AM

Post #1512689

Woe is me! This morning from about 4-5 am we had baseball sized hail come out of no where. My plants were all outside, unprotected because we pretty much had no warning from weather forecasters.

2 of my windows were busted in, glass everywhere. Our cars are pretty damaged, trees limbs down, and most of my plants looks like a stampede of deer ran over them!
http://www.kcbd.com/Global/link.asp?L=103114
(hail pictures at the bottom of the page)

Thumbnail by art_n_garden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2005
3:19 AM

Post #1512693

This is probably the saddest case, it used to be so beautiful!

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2005
3:22 AM

Post #1512702

You better believe they're all moved inside now!! There was another hail storm this evening, not near as bad...but they actually warned us about it this time- gee thanks Jon Robison! lol :)
Anyhow, I just had to share this with my gardening buddies. Susanne

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2005
5:57 PM

Post #1516607

I don't know how anything survives baseball-sized hail. We had tapioca-sized hail back in January and nothing was killed, but some plants still have marks.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2005
8:33 PM

Post #1526253

Suzanne, what a shame. That was a beautiful plant. We had golf ball size hail here one year and it smashed every tomato plant I had. Just had to start over.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2005
9:36 PM

Post #1526415

It was very disheartening! My tomoatos were fairly covered, but now they are growing sideways because of the wind lol. We're still dealing with insurance for the dents in our cars. And guess what..the apt management STILL hasn't fixed my busted windows. Arrgh. I hope this weather doesn't hit y'all!
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2005
5:38 AM

Post #1527703

Susanne . . . what a way to be woke up and then have to deal w/ it for days. Sorry your beautiful plants were damaged, not to mention autos, windows, etc. Keep your chin up! At least your tomatoes are safe. We have some hail here in the spring, but mostly like Kelli mentioned, tapioca-sized or a little bigger. That was some serious hail, Texas-size LOL.

;-janet
Magwar
Royston, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2005
10:19 PM

Post #1529402

Bless your heart, I am glad no one was hurt other than your heart breaking at the sight of your plants. =( We had quarter sized hail in our county and I just prayed that it wouldn't come near our house. I hope that it avoids your house next time!
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2005
10:30 PM

Post #1529428

Thank you janet and magwar- everything's perking up a bit now- growing new leaves to hide the damaged and the wet precipitation that came with the storm helped refresh all my plants. They are fixing my window tomorrow (1 week and 1 day later...lol) and I am at peace with the sky now. lol!
Janet it's good to hear from you, seems like it's been a while! Susanne

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America