Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: The Oasis on Lake Travis

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 0
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kauai17
Leander, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2005
6:37 PM

Post #1514008

Is anyone familiar with the Oasis on Lake Travis??? It got struck by lightening last night and the entire place burned to the ground. We are just in shock because we ate there on Monday. If you want to see a picture here is the story from news 8 austin.
http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=138529
Also here is the Oasis homepage.
http://www.oasis-austin.com/

This message was edited Jun 1, 2005 1:54 PM
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2005
2:20 PM

Post #1516054

Thanks for alerting us to this calamity. I'm glad it happened when no one would be hurt. What a gorgeous place it has been, from the picture on the web site. I'll put this on my list of places to visit, and I'm glad that plans to rebuild are underway.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2005
3:09 PM

Post #1516161

Thanks for letting us know. I was just there in April, have lots of photos (not a single one of the view, just all the plants!) I told my mom and my son, both were stunned to hear about it. We all love that place, it is always so relaxing. I am very encouraged by their plans to start re-building possibly as early as tomorrow!!

One of my sisters lives in Austin, she told us awhile back that The Eggmen, an excellent Beatles cover band, played there one Saturday night and a lot of equipment was destroyed by a sudden storm blowing in.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2005
6:33 AM

Post #1518182

My brother with his wife were in Austin visiting her sons. They were going to go eat there when they learned about the destruction. They were all very said because it was one of their favorite places to go.
Kauai17
Leander, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2005
3:52 PM

Post #1518931

The owner is going to rebuild. All of the decks going down the side of the cliff are destroyed. But the other part of the restaurant is okay. He is even keeping that part open this weekend. He said that he is opening up his house for any wedding that were booked for this summer. We were just in shock because we ate there on Mon and then this happened on Wed. We did take some pictures out on the decks.
Sunshine365
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2005
6:09 AM

Post #1524884

What a shock when I found out. Have been going there for years and always love to take out of town friends and relatives there, it is such a beautiful place. Beautiful gardens and plants. So glad to hear he is going to rebuild.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America