Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: A Potting Bench in the works!

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 22, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2005
2:53 PM

Post #1518786

My husband is building a potting bench for me within an enclosure where I am "to KEEP the gardening stuff!" He's, uh, kind of tired of me having it strewn throughout his garage. ;-) Here's an -in-the-works pic...

He'll be staining it in cedar, adding shelves atop, with a couple of hooks--the shelf above the rubbermaid container has slats for scooping extra soil through...

I'm excited!
=) MKJ

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2005
3:07 PM

Post #1518824

That is so nice. My DH also sort of prepared a working area for me, but I am so disorganized that I stilll have 3-4 plant ghettos around my gardens. Can't help that.

Good for you. May you be neater than me.
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2005
3:12 PM

Post #1518837

Ooooh! I can't wait to see picks when it is done. That will be really nice.
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2005
3:21 PM

Post #1518851

We have tried several versions of your table. Yours should be a winner. i have back trouble and can't stand for long periods. The one that I liked the best was much like yours except on concrete and low enough that I could sit on a rolling chair while I worked. I don't have it set up like that now and sure do miss it!
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2005
5:48 PM

Post #1519198

I like your bench. You'll have to post photos when it's finished. My tools are spread out in the pump house, the barn and some are leaning against the greenhouse. I use the 'Gator's cargo bed as my potting bench. When I'm through, I hose it down. Wish I could get my husband to build one for me.
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2005
5:52 PM

Post #1519205

Well, I laughed at Vossner's note--my various "plant ghettos" are the exact reason my exasperated husband decided to build my bench, and WITHIN the enclosure, no less! =)

He's a carpenter by hobby, and it is so nice when he puts his mind to something (like the two-yard wide trellising he put up in the background of the photo). BUT, when I see a toybox in Pottery Barn's calalogue, and go to order it, he says, "Wait! I can build that for you!" I hope the children enjoy them in college...;-) It can take QUITE awhile for him to finish various weekend projects.

He has non-gardener personal motivation for my bench though. =) I will certainly put progression photos up--he may even make it REALLY beautiful knowing that I'm sharing his handiwork!

MKJ
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2005
11:01 PM

Post #1519861

Whattaman!!
JuBabe
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2005
1:10 AM

Post #1520099

Wow! I love it. That is great. I showed it to my husband and he thought that it was neat too. I can't wait to see it when he is finished.
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2005
2:23 AM

Post #1520282

Very cool... almost sounds like what I will say when my hubby starts on mine! I have taken over a bookshelf, his tool stand, a 6'x6' chrome rolling cart and the middle of our garage. I think that he is JUST about ready to start building me one... "then I wake up..." anyway, some day!

Yours is fabulous! And we have a medium pile of cedar stacked in our driveway just begging to be built with...

Please keep us updated with the progress!

Mel
RedSunDance
Kirbyville, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2005
5:34 AM

Post #1522698

Very very nice!! You're going to love it...but as for keeping everything in it's place as far as the garden tools?? you're a gardener for goodness sakes, that won't happen! lol..now what tree did I lean that shovel on??? Debra~
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2005
7:53 PM

Post #1523509

...but then what would I use the garage for?? ;) It looks wonderful! How wonderful it would be to be organized too. No wondering what bucket I threw the pruners in etc.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2005
12:07 AM

Post #1524066

Lucky you for having such a nice hubby...My poor DH can't figure out one end of a hammer from another.

Saint
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

June 7, 2005
4:42 AM

Post #1527630

You are one lucky girl MKjones! I wish I could find a man to build me something! Anything! One guy i was dating said my pots were too big to move, coudnt get no help here. ...and he was a building contractor!I bought a potting bench and this guy tore it up putting it together...one was gonna help me build trelliss...I even bought the tools. The wood is still out there! I give up! I just pay someone to do what I need getting done.
Sylvia
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2005
1:55 AM

Post #1535362

Too bad you're not closer, Sedrick...although, Dallas is just east of Trophy Club! lol I "rent" Doug out all of the time!

Here's the outside of the enclosure...he put on fussy trim. =)
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2005
1:57 AM

Post #1535367

And, he's stained the basic bench...
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2005
2:01 AM

Post #1535377

And the special soil "filter" spot...there's to be a pull-drawer-style Rubbermaid underneath to keep the soil recycled/contained.

mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2005
2:04 AM

Post #1535383

He's decided that the gate enclosing it will have a small rounded arch atop, to make it quaint. And, I can't WAIT to get those hanging basket hooks up and functional! I'm already planning...

Although, I keep thinking about how much trouble I'll be in when he finds a stray "plant ghetto," or, yes, koncreteblond, those pruners sitting in the front lawn when he's put perfectly good storage drawers out there...=o
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

June 10, 2005
3:45 AM

Post #1535736

Ohhh MJK ...I just marvel in your excitement...Damm he's good! he must be a pro or does he just do it as a hobby? Most women cant get a man to take out the trash and here you are getting an addendum to the house built almost ... stained and all! Girrrrrrrll you best get ready ... you are going to be "putting out" for a long time for this one! ;) ...and you gonna rent him out! LOL!
Sylvia
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2005
4:33 AM

Post #1535831

LOL...it's all hobby. Can you believe it?? He'd a suit & tie guy in an office by "trade." =)

I once came outside to find some siding on the ground in a pile...I was like, "Um, Dear, WHAT is going on??" To my knowledge he'd NEVER worked on a house?! Sure enough, he says, "Well, some of the boards are rotting, and I don't know where to find siding in these dimensions, so I'll just make some."

I almost threw up. But, true to form, by the end of the weekend, he'd cut the wood, glued it up, treated it, sealed it and painted it by the following weekend. He's amazing.

And, oh man, he's a gourmet cook too. I can make Frosted Flakes w/milk. lol!

MKJ
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2005
6:50 PM

Post #1537059

mkj you a lucky woman.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

June 11, 2005
3:05 PM

Post #1538921

Girrrlll ...where did you find this guy? Do he have any brothers? ...at my age...maybe uncles? LOL
Sylvia
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2005
3:16 PM

Post #1538946

Lol, Sylvia! The uncles are already at the funeral home...lol...they were great too though. =) My Jack-of-all-manner-of-talents is 47, an only boy, and a wonder. My Dad's favorite thing to say is, "I'm getting HIM in the divorce!" lol I'm no dummy--keepin' him!

Today, he's starting on the gate for the bench area, and digging a new iris bed around my mailbox...the fussy things are rotting on me in their current home. =/

p.s. He's not perfect...got in trouble yesterday for my AMEX charges for plants! What a meanie, huh? ;-)
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

June 24, 2005
4:41 AM

Post #1572017

MJK ...how is the bench going? Is it finished yet? I want to see pictures of the completed. :) I decided to take these brick out back ...stack em up on two sides and lay a board on top to do my potting...I'll take pictures. LOL

Sylvia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America