Big leaves

Knoxville, TN

While watering this morning, I turned a few plants around and discovered some what I consider to be really big leaves.
This is H. variegated polystachya. The leaf measures 8" X 3".

Thumbnail by meltn
Knoxville, TN

This is H. glabra and the leaf measures 8" X 6" . The leaf is bigger than the 41/2 " pot it is planted in!

Thumbnail by meltn
Knoxville, TN

This plant was a gift and was sent as the Hoya named after Lowce Andrews. I am unsure of the proper name or the true ID but hope to know after I get a bloom or 2. It looks allot like my H. latifolia, however, we all know looks can be deceiving.
This leaf is 7" X 5".

Thumbnail by meltn
Abbotsford, BC(Zone 8a)

I love the look of your variegated polystachya....very pretty and attractive...has it bloomed for you?

Sandy

Knoxville, TN

Thanks Sandy. Yes, it has bloomed.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow Mel is that the one I sent you? It sure has grown a lot, what are you doing to it:-)???

Blessings,
Awanda

Knoxville, TN

That plant came from Susan in Va. last summer, Awanda. The special plants you sent me are all doing wonderful though. I bought and killed 2 H. hypolasia plants, but, the one you gave me is growing like a weed! All the CV's are doing great too!

I used Alaska bloom fertilizer on occasion through the winter, 20-20-20 once the Hoyas started putting on growth in the spring, and alternate Alaska Bloom ,and half strength 10-60-10 and 20-20-20 through the growing season. I have also been misting at least twice a day and giving them an occasional mist of Eleanors. I have developed a heavier hand for watering too.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

WOW.......that's a gorgeous one Mel!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

This is one big leaf on my hoya kerrii, it's 6x5 and much bigger than the rest. I have no idea why its grown so large!!

Blessings,
Awanda

Thumbnail by ACsAgapePlants
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Oh, brother! First the NFL is on steroids! Then BASEBall and Now HOYAS! Where are we going with this society?

gorgeous!

Knoxville, TN

You know what they say about big leaves! BIG BLOOMS!

Walhalla, SC(Zone 7a)

Wow Mel, the H. variegated polystachya is awesome! This is what i love about hoyas..U think u have seen them all and another pops up! U do have the magic touch!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow, Mel. Those are some huge awesome hoyas you have. You are very fortunate to be close to great places for hoyas.
:) Donna

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7b)

Is the polystachya the same thing as macrophylla variegated?

Knoxville, TN

Yes. I think the jury is still out on the correct name. It remains one of my favorite Hoyas even though I have had a hard time blooming it.

Trelleborg, Sweden

Here's a contribution from me for big leaves: http://www.myhoyas.com/Hoya%20incrassata%20leaf%20(sp).htm

It's the same leaf shown twice. It measures 22 cm all the way to the tip, which would be close to 9 inches long. The plant only has this one huge leaf. All the others are about half the size.

Christina

Trelleborg, Sweden

Okay, why does DG cut off the links sometimes...? Here's the photo instead. It's from one of my incrassata.

Christina

Thumbnail by MyHoyas
Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

If I was a hoya I would want to live with one of you!
Ann

Prescott, AZ

Ladies your leaves are very huge. Var. polstachya is way cool. Mel do you have a picture of the bloom? I would love to see it. I wish I had the room to get bigger leaved Hoya's, but I know one day they will be to huge, and I wouldn't be able to part with them.

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Wow....I had no idea hoyas got leaves THAT big! Bizzarre.
Does anyone have a list (or web site) that basically says....
~ For quick growers, try these hoyas....
~ For big leaves, try these....
~ For fragrant blooms, there are these....
~ For large blooms, these.....
(you get the idea)
thanks

Trelleborg, Sweden

No website, but experience:

For quick growers, try litoralis, australis, carnosa, limoniaca, obscura, verticillata (most of them), pottsii, parviflora, citrina, anutala, wayetii, inconspicua...

For big leaves, try macrophylla/polystachya, pentaphlebia (the yellow one), glabra, citrina, calycina, onychoides, imperialis, naumanii, kerrii, magnifica, latifolia...

For fragrant blooms, try onychoides, carnosa, australis, wightii, pottsii, verticillata, obscura, cumingiana, incrassata, cv. Christine, lacunosa, citrina, calycina, thomsonii... these are the ones I find have the strongest fragrances.

For large blooms, try imperialis, onychoides, magnifica, calycina, pauciflora, schneei, sp. Tanna, wallichii, macgillivrayii... (and eriostemmas)

I'm sure I have forgotten some, but these are the ones I can think of without having to check in my windows!

Edited to add some more... and some more on Oct 7th.

Christina

This message was edited Oct 4, 2005 7:50 AM

This message was edited Oct 4, 2005 7:51 AM

This message was edited Oct 4, 2005 7:54 AM

This message was edited Oct 7, 2005 10:04 AM

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Wow, Thanks Christina! Exactly what I was looking for. Gonna print that off and keep it for future reference. Very informative..

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow! Thanks Christina! Thanks to you and all you know!!

Susan

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Wow, Betsy, thanks for asking those questions. And Christina, thank YOU for the list. That makes it so much easier for us novices to head in one particular direction - at least for the time being. I love this forum!

Barb

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

For Fragrance I would add, cembra, cv. Iris Marie, magnifica, heuschkelianas, lacunosas,

For Big or flashy Leaves add the aff. latifolia, calycina, sp. Kunming Kina, caudata, aff anulata.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Carol, for the additions to the catagories. Now.. about my next order...

Barb

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey, Carol.....why don't you run a Special labeled "Carol's Favorites" and include a number of the ones you listed. You could sub-categorize..."Carol's Favorite Hoya Flowers"...."Carol's Favorite Fragrant Hoyas"..etc. If you send them all to me, I'd be happy to be your guinea pig/ test bed and evaluate for you. =0)
Betsy

This message was edited Oct 4, 2005 3:38 PM

Knoxville, TN

Excellent lists, Ladies.

Betsy, I see you have been taking lessons from Awanda again.

Tami, my plant bloomed once and I did not catch it on film. I have problems with the flower buds blasting. I personally feel that the foilage is far more exciting than the blooms on this paticular plant.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hey Mel, that's not nice:-). I think Betsy had it in her all the time, she just needed some encouragement:-).

Blessings,
Awanda

Trelleborg, Sweden

I would guess the flowers would look the same as for the "regular green" polystachya and you'll find lots of photos on the net. If not, here's one for you: http://www.myhoyas.com/Hoya%20polystachya%20flowers.htm

Christina

Prescott, AZ

Wow, the flowers are pretty Christina. I had better put this one on my list. I love the variegated leaves.
Tami

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Gee Betsy....super idea. I think I will put a list on the website of what I think are for fragrance etc....and add Christinas.... We will put H. magnifica down at the bottom tho my clone does smell VERY good.

Carol

Great thread guys!

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Carol...
Are you really going to do that? If so, I will watch for said offer! I have been looking at your website trying to decide what to order and this will make it easier. Keep us posted!

P.S. Awanda....in good conscience, I cannot let you take blame for my actions. I DEFINATELY "have it in me"....and HAVE HAD my entire life. I've been called "ornery" more than once. =o)
.....and sis...keep your mouth buttoned. LOL

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

ONERY!!!! Let me tell you stories.....!! (You are all right, she DOES have it in her!!!) LOL Anyway, Carol, that would actually be a terrific idea, especially from a novice standpoint. There's so many hoyas, and a little "categorizing" would be SO helpful!! Thanks - Karen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's my donation for big leaves. It's h. latifolia from Carol!!!

Randy

P.S. I agree with Christine on that list, but don't forget h. Macgillivrayi for flower size.

Thumbnail by Plumeriagod
Trelleborg, Sweden

Thanks, Randy. I didn't think of those. I've added them to my list above.

Christina

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Randy...your H. aff. latifolia is gorgeous!!! Good growing! There are, in fact, a number of H. aff latifolia...but that is the largest of them!!! I think you could rig a mast and sail on it!

Long Beach, CA

Wow...that looks like my glabra.
Isn't latifoia and loyceandrewsiana supposed to be the same thing? Mine look different (the latter being almost round leafed and has spots/markings on the leaves).
Marcy

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The rounded leaf hoya is called H. aff latifolia (IML 88 is what I have), and Randy's is H. aff. latifolia. That is because it has not been determined which IS H. latifolia...so we have lots of 'affinis' in circulation. Please remember to KEEP the 'aff.'...when writing or talking about these hoyas....it is very important...

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I can't believe the size of the leave, Randy! What have you been feeding it...steroids?
: ) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.