Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: glassy winded sharpshooter?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 2
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
aggiecorgi
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2005
12:02 AM

Post #1522206

I have sucking insects that look like glassy winded sharpshooters all over my lily of the nile, crape myrtles, and sunflowers. How do I get rid of them! They are out in force. Should I just leave them, or are they really bad? It just looks like they're sucking everything. I didn't see them the last two years, but all the sudden they've found me. Do any benefical insects, like praying mantis eat them?

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2005
8:01 PM

Post #1523536

Do you have a photo(s)?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2005
10:59 PM

Post #1523956

I noticed them for the first this year. They seem to be after my Brugmansias and plumerias, but they are probably everywhere. Prior to this year, I had been more concerned with sharpshooter's connection to Pierce's Disease of grapevines. I have seen Cardinals eating a few, but you'd need hundreds of Cardinals to do the job. I used a systemic on non-food plants a few days ago, but it's too soon to see if it works against the sharpshooters.

This is what I have found about sharpshooters. Generally, they don't do a large amount of damage. The greatest is mostly cosmetic in that sharpshooters excrete heavy amounts of liquid that turns white when it dries. If the liquid dries on vehicles it spots them. They can spread the bacterium that causes Pierce's Disease, a fatal grapevine disease. They can also spread almond leaf scorch, oleander leaf scorch, plum leaf scald, something called phony peach disease and variegated citrus chlorosis.

In California, a tiny parasitic wasp is being used to help combat sharpshooters. You might ask your local extension county agent if the wasp is being used here in Texas. He might be able to tell you where to get them.

Chemical controls are usually not recommended, but insecticidal soaps and oils can be used. These are the least damaging. They have to be applied every 7 days because they only work on the nymps. There are severl other chemicals that can be used, but it's best to ask your extension agent what is most effective in your area.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America