Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have no desire to cultivate this, but am curious as to what this plant is. I have encountered it here in weedy open areas on the Gulf Coast area of mid-Florida (zone 9b), especially in local cemeteries during Memorial Day weekend. If you happen to touch it or brush it with your foot or toe, it stings almost as strong as a bee sting. The first couple of times I encountered it I kept thinking fire ants had gotten on me! The pain goes away after a few minutes, but it's still a real annoyance. I presume it blooms, but I don't have any shots of the flowers, only the seed pods. Just curious what it is. (Will post a couple more photos after this one). Thanks.

Thumbnail by spaceman_spiff

Another shot of same plant.

One more shot of same plant.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Stinging nettle (Cnidoscolus stimulosus). I had to look that one up to get the spelling right!
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2751/index.html

Thanks, Tom. That's it!! I've actually heard of Stinging Nettle before, but never knew what it looked like. (Now, I know what it feels like, too!) Thanks again!

I very stupidly touched one of these to take a picture of it. My hand stung for hours. I made a baking soda paste and slathered my hand in it and finally got some relief. I think I'll remember that lesson.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.