Gardening with Texas Native plants & Wildflowers. Part 5

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

This thread is Gardening with Texas plants & Wildflowers part 5. To see the other parts 4-3-2-1- go to the links below.

To go to part 4 click on this link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/511726/

To go to part 3 click on this link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/498342/

To go to part 2 click on this link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/491824/

To go to part 1 click on this link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/486105/

Hello Everyone,

The people on this thread are interested in discussion, seed and plant trading, and learning in general about native plants and wildflowers.

We are dedicated to plant conservation and love to demomstrate what can be done with the native plants that have been ignored by the nurseries in favor of the exotics. Many of the plants in our yards are native and we are always looking to improve. We are sure there are others out there doing the same thing and loving it as much as we do. Please let us talk about what you are doing and what you have accomplished.

We hope to hear from all you dedicated gardeners. Let us have some fun.

Sincerely, Josephine.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Well, here I am.
trois

Thank you Trois, I hope this one will be as much fun as the previous one.
Josephine.

Longview, TX

josephine
I'm babying the frostweeds I got from you at Texoma...there are 6 and they are about 6 inches high.
james hayes

Hello James, so nice to hear fom you. I am glad the Frostweed is doing well, I hope it blooms for you this year. The butterfly milkweed that you gave me in a pot is blooming, and looks beautiful.
The pineapple sage is not blooming yet, but looking good, and the seedlings are coming along fine.
I thank you very much for all of them, and hope to hear from you about the progress of all your plants.
Josephine.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I have a neat looking water plant that has volunteered in my Lily pond. Any ideas what it is?
Thanks, trois

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

It's Lizard's Tail. It's a pretty little thing.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/627/index.html

Well, I though it was an exotic due to a Google search, but it looks like it might actually be a native!

This message was edited Jun 8, 2005 10:07 AM

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, sweezel! it came up on it's own after the pond has been here for 6 years. There must be others around.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Hey I have one of those - bought it at Wally World thought it was exotic to... good thing (all it was marked was Prenn. Full Sun hard to look up that way!)

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

My pond is getting full. Now the Lotus are really coming on strong. Its getting crowded.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm assuming this Plains Coreopsis is a native here. I found a tiny little flower last year while I was walking, pulled it up and transplanted it in my yard. This year I got a LOT more of them. lol I have had to pull out quite a few that were getting so big and smothering others.

Yes Paige, that Plains Coreopsis( Coreopsis tinctoria ) is a native, it is very pretty.
It is also an annual, but it usually self seeds.
Josephine.

Trois, Lizard's Tail ( Saururus cernuus ) yes, that's wht the book said, is indeed a native.
It is a perennial, the book Wildflowers of Texas, says the flowers are fragrant.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I couldn't get very close, but something really smells good out there. Maybe that's it. Thanks.

These are some very interesting Four O'clocks ( Mirabilis jalapa ) growing in my garden.
All the different colors are on one plant, and it evolved by itself, this is the first year that I have had so many colors on one plant.
Four O'clocks are an adapted species from South America.
They are tender perennials in this area, they die to the ground in the winter and come back from the tuberous roots, which get bigger every year. The flowers are very fragrant, and open in the evening when the temperature goes down and remain open till about 10 the next morning.

Another flower on the same plant.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

You forgot to mention that they grow fast and transplant easy! Thanks for the Four O'clocks Josephine - got my first blooms and they look great. Mitch

Mitch, you forgot to say what color yours are.
I am so excited to hear that they have bloomed already! Do you need more?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yellow - all yellow so far. Not yet, dont need more yet but dont worry I will. My son loves the bright flowers - a first in the yard so they are going to grow a little.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I will want a tuber one day, Josephine. ;-)

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a mystery. There are two shrubs blooming right now. They are growing on the other side of the creek in soil that has a high clay content. The area is protected from high winds. One is growing in part shade just under the canopy of a live oak. The other gets full sun.

The shrub is about 8 - 9 feet tall and just about that wide.

This is a photo of part of the one in part shade. It gets late afternoon sun.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

This is a close-up I took yesterday of one of the flower clusters. It has an aroma reminescent of citrus, attracting lots of bees and butterflies. In part shade, the clusters in the flower panicle are very close together.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Today's photo, show some of the panicles have elongated to about 8". More flowers in the clusters were open. The fragrance was more intense.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

A close-up of a panicle shows a four-petaled slightly bell shaped flower. It has two anthers and stamen. The stigma is encased within the bell. The stamen angle inward. I examined the buds with a magnifying glass. The sepals were shorter than A. gratissima and hairless. Photos of A. gratissima on TAMU's DFT Vascular website show very hairy sepals and flowers with four anthers and stamen..

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Tip of the flower panicle.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

This is what part of the shrub looks like growing in full sun.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

A distant view of the shrub. The shrub has the same shape as A. gratissima.

Veronica! I don't know what that shrub is, but I do know one thing for sure, it is gorgeous.
The flowers look like lilacs or orange blossoms. Wow, so pretty and scented too.
Is it evergreen?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

How long has it been there?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Does it smell something like Privet? If so, we have lots of it growing here, as well as regular wild Privet.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I don't think it is privet and I hope not (considered an invasive) http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topics.cgi?earl=plant_profile.cgi&symbol=LISI&photoID=lisi_008_ahp.jpg

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Last photo,a close-up of a panicle on the shrub getting full sun. The stem sections between the flower clusters on the panicle are longer making the panicle about 12 - 14" long. The flower clusters on this bush are very dense, many more flowers than on A. gratissima which have fewer, less dense clusters. According to TAMU, A. gratissima is invasive and forms great big thickets. The shrubs I have are very well behaved, slow growers that not sent out suckers or seedlings. What I have may be a variant. I couldn't find anything in my books or on the Internet that looked exactly like my shrub. Does anyone know what this is? I want to take cuttings to put in my garden, but not before identifying it.

Veronica

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

They don't smell like a privet. More like vanilla flavored citrus. I'll have to keep an eye on them because I can't remember if they are evergreen. The leaves are not very thick. In full sun, the leaves fold up almost completely along the main vein. The leaves seem to be too thin to be evergreen. The shrubs have been here at least 6 years. They don't seem to be fast growers.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Well, that's not what we have.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Is there someone at A & M you could email your photos to?

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I just sent an e-mail to ask for information on where to send the photos.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Good!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

You might try the DG Id Forum, too. Ya never know!

We did hang out at Veterans Park and here is the group, Mitch and his son, Linda and her husband, Paige and her son.

And another with me in it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.