Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Paint Stripper recommendation!

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 12, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2005
4:49 PM

Post #1536822

Can anyone recommend a good paint stripper?

I have an old desk that was given to me about... gee, 26 yrs ago! I've always intended to strip what looks like about three thick layers of paint, and then stain & finish the wood (looks like a nice dark brown). I've seen something advertised on TV that claims to be non-toxic, no fumes, no masks or gloves necessary. If it really works as well and as fast as they claim, I'm sold! Has anyone here used it (can't think of the name right now)? If not, what have you used, that you liked?

Thanks,
Maggie
BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2005
1:16 PM

Post #1538691

Maggie,
I will try to remember to look at the store when I go, to see if I can find what I used. I redid a desk, but it was in 79-80 timeframe. There should be better, fume-free stuff on the market now. After stripping off several layers of paint, found cherry varnish underneath. That's when I went to elec sander too! Desk still looks great, so it was well worth the effort! ~ Suzi :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2005
1:26 PM

Post #1538714

I can tell you the gel strippers work better on a horizontal surface rather than upright. (They are so heavy that they run down.) You MUST be patient, though, to allow enough time for the stripper to work on underlying layers. I get anxious and strip the gunk off when it bubbles up, usually necessitating another coat of srtipper.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2005
8:46 PM

Post #1539628

lol, I just noticed the exclamation mark in the thread title. People must think I'm really excited about a recommendation. Sorry for the confusion.

Suzi, thanks, I'll look forward to hearing back from you.

Darius, that's good to know about the gels. I won't have any problem getting the vertival surfaces horizontal, I'll have to work at the patiencs thing, though. :-)

Anybody else out there? Your recommendation of a brand? (Or renunciation of a brand?)
BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2005
10:23 PM

Post #1547614

Maggie,
I want to say I am pretty sure I used ZEP. I forgot to look at the store on Sat, I was in such a hurry trying to get back and leave for quickie vacation. Sorry! This reminded me and I just tried to look on their website, but they are having trouble right now. ~ Suzi :)
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:31 AM

Post #1548054

Thanks Suzi, I'll look in to it!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1548103

maggie, the stuff they use that is a pale green gritty paste, then turns white works great. You cover it with freezer paper to keep it active. Patientce is essential though.
I have also seen them use saran wrap on gel removers to keep them moist too.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:50 AM

Post #1548127

Where do you buy that stuff the pale green gritty paste)? Do you remember the name of it?

This is what I've seen advertised on TV. It *looks* really good, but is it really as good as they say? http://www.readystripsales.com/rss/FMPro?-Find=Details&-db=Products&-lay=web&-format=Detail.htm&-RecID=9&-Token=003799986096&-Token.2=663663155708

Does anyone know?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:57 AM

Post #1548156

That's the stuff. I got mine at Sherwin Williams and have seen it at one of the "big" stores. No shipping that way.
You'll like it.
sidney
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
2:07 AM

Post #1548189

Thanks, Sidney! I was hoping there would be a way to buy it locally. I'll check them out tomorrow!
butterqueen
Kernersville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2005
3:13 AM

Post #1550994

My mom bought some on QVC and it was no fumes etc. We used it when we took a wood refinishing class at the community college. It was great because I have bad allergies and it didn't have any smell. Of course, everyone else wasn't using it so I had to wear a mask anyways lol.
One lady had a beautiful antique pie safe with the punched tin work and someone had painted all of it, tin and all. I personally had my doubts that she would get all that gunk off, but she did with Stripease and it was really beautiful.
Some of the instructor's recomendations:
try it out on a hidden part to make sure there isn't any bad reaction (not sure what he meant but I always do it anyway)
set a timer for the manufacturer's recommended wait time and walk away so you won't be tempted to remove it too early
use a plastic scraper not a metal one or you might gouge your wood
work on small sections at a time and flip the piece so that the section is on top, as you said before,so the stripper doesn't run
always wear gloves

I'm sure you knew that but I thought I would add it for anyone who has never done it before.

As Darius knows from another post, I'm not so handy with tools and such, but I love to refinish furniture! I like to go to auctions and you can get really nice pieces that just need a little elbow grease to be great. I got a low chest that is just gorgeous for $2 woohoo.

Please post before and after pics, I'd love to see your desk and how you refinish it:)

Rachel

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
3:20 AM

Post #1551007

Rachel, You're REALLY gonna love Matts...the sales I promised.
sidney
butterqueen
Kernersville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2005
3:29 AM

Post #1551102

Sidney, I have a Matt's fund ready to go! Of course, I will giggle now that I thought it was your dh LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America