Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 12, 2005
4:54 PM

Post #1541675

My thoughts were to use the shredder and shred some of the cedar limbs we have been trimming and to use it in the compost tumbler...However...a neighbor told me that the cedar was toxic to plants...he said...look under any cedar tree and see if you have anything growing...well yes there was a bit here and there growing but also little or no daylight or sunlight so I guess that might have something to do with it too...

So what say ye...Is Cedar juniper good to go in the compst tumbleer or no it's toxic and will kill your plants..
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2005
5:40 PM

Post #1541799

From the information I have been able to find, Juniperus ashei usually found west of I-35, is not toxic to plants, especially if you compost it. Shredded juniper can be used as mulch as long as it's not incorporated into the soil. Incorporating any raw material, such as bark, wood and leaves, into the soil removes nitrogen from the soil as the raw material decomposes.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2005
12:33 AM

Post #1542697

Veronica, thanks for getting back with the info so quickly (as usual.) I thought I had read some discussion on another thread (I think on the Soil and Composting forum), but didn't have time to look it up. It seems like the biggest problem is walnut trees, they definitely have toxins to keep down the competition around them.
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 13, 2005
2:26 AM

Post #1542941

Thanks Ladies for your response...I know for years I have used cedar mulch but never used it in compost so I wasn't sure...going to do some research but hope I can use some of it in my barrell...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America