Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Handyman: my back deck dilemma.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 10, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2005
2:26 AM

Post #1542938

we wanted to give our deck a bit of protection from the sun and rain, It was virtually unusable because it was seemingly always in the sun... And I dont like to be in the sun, I am very light skinned and always burn, I also cant stand the smell of sunscreens... Anyhow we wanted some shade...and we got it but we didnt get the rain relief.. It still came from the sides of the house. We decided to enclose the sides for more shelter...only now... we have no idea what to cover it with...can anyone suggest anything???? PLEASE??? We would like to keep the ply from rotting and dont know if just paint will do underneath something else or some other sealant... or ????????no idea..heres the inside. in part

Thumbnail by houseplntjunkie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2005
2:26 AM

Post #1542942

and heres the other part of the inside.

houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2005
2:28 AM

Post #1542948

this is the best i can do for the outside pic right now. It will be covered like the inside with ply.

slgrowers
N. Mississippi, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
3:45 PM

Post #1546716

welllllll, For starters you should have used a exterior graded product to start with, such as T1-11 or Hardi board, etc. That said, its already done and can be protected. If I am interpeting those photo's correctly, this is the inside view from the porch? Not directly in the elements but not enclosed - is that correct?

The problem you have is that you used a waferboard glue laminate product that will soak up water like a sponge and break apart if wet. Hydromagneticity will draw water running down the outside edge around to the inside edge (where it will drip to the floor), this is your most succeptable are for that product to take on water and begin to break down. You need to protect that "drip edge" well. Thick paint could do the trick but I think if it were me I would find a way to divert water from that edge or, run siding of some kind on the outside far enough below that edge that the water drips from it instead of the wood. The inside surface can be painted with a good couple of strong coats of exterior paint and should do ok since it is not directly in the elements.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your new space.
houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2005
12:48 PM

Post #1579491

its been done for about a week now, we decided to put siding on them...thank you...its not completely trimmed out but it will be in the next couple days...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2005
1:58 PM

Post #1579649

Looks Good!
houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2005
2:06 AM

Post #1599372

hello there...here are the most current pictures...some trim work is still missing because adjustments are being made, but they will be complete by the end of the week...The upstairs should be done by next week due to the fact we will be busy this weekend for my dh's birthday party...shhhhh its a surprise! lucky him...

houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2005
3:16 PM

Post #1648343

Have had no time...here is the back of the house...almost done...

houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2005
3:19 PM

Post #1648350

only the front of the house is left...and a few pieces of trim...here is the front...getting there...sorry this is the wrong pic...will add the right pic at the end..

This message was edited Jul 25, 2005 10:23 AM

houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2005
3:22 PM

Post #1648361

we bought a new umbrella for dh for his surprise party...he built the picnic table unknowingly for the party...

houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2005
3:33 PM

Post #1648380

the right pic...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America