Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Voting Booth: What's your one must-have gardening item?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 195, Views: 1,379
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

June 13, 2005
1:50 PM

Post #1543851

There are a total of 328 votes:

A favorite hat or cap
(24 votes, 7%)
Red dot

A special hand tool (do tell which one and the brand!)
(83 votes, 25%)
Red dot

My beloved machine (edger, mower, tiller, or....?)
(26 votes, 7%)
Red dot

My kneeling pad or rolling seat
(38 votes, 11%)
Red dot

A watering device (hand-held or other?)
(46 votes, 14%)
Red dot

My potting bench
(8 votes, 2%)
Red dot

A greenhouse or toolshed
(26 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Other? (Don't hold out on us!)
(77 votes, 23%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

BassetMom
Torrance, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2005
2:06 PM

Post #1543895

My favorite tool... my grabber! Gardening from a wheelchair is an adventure all its own. And, it has gained the attention of the neighborhood...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/519690/

But, I couldn't weed, plant, prop up, harvest and reach the back corners of the bed and GH without it. I can even plants seeds with it!

Barb
RachaelBee
N., CA
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2005
2:09 PM

Post #1543905

I really love my pink Mud Gloves! They are so comfortable and just right amount of "duty." (Not too heavy-duty, nor too light-duty). Close 2nd is my matching pink gardening clogs that I bought on ebay. They are also very comfortable, I cant help but wear them when I go out, too.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2005
2:14 PM

Post #1543919

My must have is my do-everything hat. It is a safari type crushable hat that I've had for 13 years and it looks exactly the same as the day I bought it, even though it's been through...Well, you get the picture. It keeps the sun off my neck and my hair out of my eyes.
QueenB
Shepherd, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2005
2:21 PM

Post #1543941

A sharp pair of cutters--the brand isn't important, but the sharp edge is! The sad part is that I own three different pairs, and never remember where I've set them! In fact, at this moment, I can't remember where I've put any of them. 8-P
Emaewest
Timberlea, NS
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2005
2:24 PM

Post #1543949

I voted "other"--my "must have" gardening item is a bench, so I can sit back and appreciate all the hard work I've put in to the yard!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2005
2:40 PM

Post #1543995

Queenbee, I'm looking for my pruners right now. I have 3 pair also and always seem to put them where I just know I'll remember where they are and invariably forget. I have also accidentally thrown some away when I'm putting the debri from my snipping in trashbags. I wonder if there are thingies like you attach to your glasses and hang them around your neck for pruners?
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 13, 2005
2:55 PM

Post #1544022

Garden tool, but I have two favorites.
My little pair of pruners-just Meijer superstore house brand but they stay sharp and are strong enough to cut most things. Also small enough to go in my pocket as long as I remember not to sit down.
My plain old hand trowel. Love that thing! Couldn't garden without it. Good for digging, loosening soil between plants, popping weeds out of the ground, squishing grubs, brandishing at squirrels, whacking dogs on the head (I'm not being cruel-they are Newfoundlands and they think it is a game! They sneak up on me and play-bow, I whack them with the trowel, and they run off laughing at me, only to come back in a minute so we can do it again!)
I also really like my bright red rubber garden clogs. Didn't want to lose them in the grass, so I bought red. Hubby calls them my Mickey Mouse shoes!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 13, 2005
2:56 PM

Post #1544026

Actually I have many machines. Mostly hand crafted to work for what I want them to do. Special planters, row makers, cultivators, etc. But none work if not hooked to my 2010 John Deere tractor.
If you have never been around a market garden, you would be amazed at what we can do with our speciaized machines.
Bernie
DiOhio
Corning, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2005
2:58 PM

Post #1544033

I voted 'Other'...it's a hip bag that you wear like a belt and it has a zippered bag with compartments. I actually wear two of them...one for all of my garden stuff (marker, pencil, scissors, pruners, plant markers, hanky, yarn) and the other one is for my digital camera.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2005
4:37 PM

Post #1544251

I voted garden tool for the Garden Claw. I love this thing. Helps to break-up the soil and loosen weeds and I also use it to mix in the compost and fertilizer.

Oh I almost forgot my weed bucket. Just a regular water/wash bucket with a handle. It goes with me everywhere in the garden. I fill that thing with weeds and prunings almost everyday!

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 11:54 AM
gomyway
Bancroft, MI

June 13, 2005
4:46 PM

Post #1544267

my favorite would have to be my harvest basket (s). I have a few. The one I use most is a bushel basket I found at a yardsale. In late summer, I always carry it into the garden to collect the tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, beans... I also have a long oval basket I like to use when snipping flowers to bring inside. I like starting my plants from seed and caring for them all but I like best when it is time to harvest. :)
Iluvmygarden
Hope, BC
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2005
5:21 PM

Post #1544327

I know this is kinda obvious, but my 'must have' is any kind of new plants!!! Nothing gets me out to the garden faster and keeps me out there longer than adding any new additions!! It also makes me love all of my 'Old faithfulls' all the more...

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 13, 2005
5:26 PM

Post #1544336

My kneeling "pillow". Guess I'm too delicate for just a pad. And the second, not listed, is my bag of Potting Soil. I am (temporarity) in NJ, and to make a planting cavity I have to trash the stuff I dig out.

And, I almost forgot -- a crow bar, for prying out the rocks I unearth.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 1:49 PM
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2005
5:26 PM

Post #1544338

Kneeling pad! don't know what I'd do without it! I used to use my old volleyball kneepads until I found this. I sit on it as well!
herlurie
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2005
5:32 PM

Post #1544346

I live in an apartment and am limited to container gardening, so my vote is for my own two hands! I don't even like to wear gloves - it may sound crazy, but ever since I was a little girl I have loved the feel of warm dirt in my hands.
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2005
5:39 PM

Post #1544359

Beer! Just kidding! It's my gardening gloves! Have to have them!
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2005
5:44 PM

Post #1544365

I voted Other - mine is sunscreen! otherwise it would have to be Mud gloves and my LLBean clogs.

DiOhio - those belts are a great idea - Duh. I am always wishing I had my camera or a tissue when I am far away from the house.

-Kim
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2005
5:59 PM

Post #1544405

ncgardenaddict, whacha mean, "just kidding"????? With the heat that we've been having, after a couple of quarts of 50% Propel & water, there's nothing like a cold beer whilst sitting in the bench swing admiring your work.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 13, 2005
6:04 PM

Post #1544423

kipper2~

I'm with you.
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2005
7:02 PM

Post #1544538

Yea OK, beer is not so bad! As long as it's in moderation! You just don't want to be running around with clippers and a shovel with and tipsy! LOL!! Dangerous!
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2005
7:19 PM

Post #1544590

I would still take my gloves over any of it though! Hand savers!!!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 13, 2005
7:21 PM

Post #1544593

Do you think Frederick Law Olmsted or Johnny Appleseed were sober when they did what they did?
BassetMom
Torrance, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2005
7:45 PM

Post #1544647

Beer or Mike's Hard Lemonade...

Barb
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 13, 2005
7:49 PM

Post #1544655

We can always say the beer is for the slugs, right?
jerrynmikey
Atchison, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2005
7:52 PM

Post #1544663

I have a tool that I got at an auction, it is hand-made and last year for xmas I had them made for my family. Mine is still better but the new ones are good! I have attached an image of the new ones!

Thumbnail by jerrynmikey
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kikisdad
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2005
8:05 PM

Post #1544704

the Mantis mini-tiller. I'm not going to hand till or edge all the beds around here...wouldn't be any time left for the beer!
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2005
8:21 PM

Post #1544749

My spade. Brand? Some old guy made it. It's probably from 1945 or earlier. Old tools are the best. They don't break, they are the right size for me, they are very well made, and they are seasoned already so no rust.

Take it from me, if you are a new gardener: go to your nearest flea market, garage sale, or old guy down the street, and get your tools from them. You will have them for a lifetime, and you'll love them.

Oh yeah, and I'll take a Mike's Hard Lemon or Lime, thanks!

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 4:25 PM
BetsyBug
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2005
9:24 PM

Post #1544888

I LOVE my Cape Cod Weeder...gave them as Christmas gifts in fact. Everyone loves them. I want a long handled one next. I can get anything out or any area cultivated in no time with this gem. Here's a link to Gardeners Supply, but there are other places to get them as well.

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=13556&SC=XNET8419
daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2005
10:15 PM

Post #1544983

My knee pads! I wear them year round, jeans or shorts!
I have a kneeling pad too but got tired of forgetting it as I move around the yard, so having them on my knees constantly is the best way.
2nd favorite is my very old trowel that is just my size. Of course, I had to paint it a bright yellow to find it if I leave it somewhere.
Carol

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 4:12 PM
designart
Schwenksville, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2005
11:05 PM

Post #1545066

Felco pruners and garden shears
Desert_Dew
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2005
12:13 AM

Post #1545203

My long water meter. I'm sure most of the neighbors wonder why I'm always poking the granite, lol.
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2005
1:18 AM

Post #1545332

I voted other, couldn't decide what to put... so long as I have my hands in the dirt, I'm a happy camper.
ownedbycats
Southern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2005
2:21 AM

Post #1545495

Other - my digital camera

That way I can "garden" evern when the snow is up to the window
sbragonier
Hope Valley, RI
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2005
2:31 AM

Post #1545523

I'm with you BetsyBug. My DH got me one a few years ago and now it is always tucked into my back pocket if I am out in the yard. I find I not only great for weeding but for planting and for moving the garden snakes out of my way. They have a habit of being in the plants I want to work in or around. I just hook them gently and move them to another part of the garden. Its not the I don't like snakes it just that these little monsters like to pop out just as I reach into a plant and scare the heck out of me.
angele

June 14, 2005
2:35 AM

Post #1545530

Pruning tools of any kind. LOL it is my therapy and I love how I feel after a good session. I'm whackers for whackers.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2005
2:58 AM

Post #1545598

I chose other..
I MUST Have Soapshield by www.gardensalive.com
I can not garden without it. It keeps my plants beautiful, green, and bug free. I'd be lost without it! If they went out of business I'd have to market my own! LOL LOL
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2005
3:32 AM

Post #1545774

That's a good-looking tool you have, jerrynmikey!

I have two faves - my kneeling pad, and my Fiskars secaturs. They're ergonomic - feel like they're rolling instead of squeezing. Good Finnish design.

http://www.fiskars.com/CA/en/Garden/Product+Detail?contentId=78680

Shannon

DianaT
Mullins, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
5:17 AM

Post #1545926

Other- my little pvc misting unit. This makes your propagating life ever so much easier, lol! I root my roses under it mostly, but I have rooted other things under it as well, weigelia, dogwood, abutilon, etc. Can't live without it :)

Diana
handbright
Coral Springs, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 14, 2005
9:07 AM

Post #1546035

I wish I could have voted all of the above! But I really love all my whirling twirling water thingys...and after reading this thread, I'm getting some mud gloves for sure...(my hands are covered in tiny little blisters that itch like heck right now, I think it was the dumb cane that got me) and OH the little "poaching" shovel from Smith Hawkins, I like that alot too! And my hand pruners, I would tell you what brand, but they are lost right now...and that soap shield sounds great, and so do all the tools everybody mentioned and, well, you get the picture!
pradamary
South Easton, MA
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2005
11:56 AM

Post #1546151

My mud gloves, and my garden claw...my new garden claw (gold) is adjustable to height so no more bending and stooping!
lezro
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2005
12:55 PM

Post #1546260

I have to have my little hand fork. It takes the place of a trowel, a big fork, a hand cultivator, and often dandelion pullers. It can do almost anything except move large daylilies! I am pretty sure it is from Walmart, but you don't see them often. Buy one if you do, they are great! (Usually it lives in my right hand, so it looks awkward in the picture. It isn't.)

Thumbnail by lezro

drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2005
3:23 PM

Post #1546646

Although I'm all for the beer after a day of intense heat, yet my favorite tool is my trusty pair of Felco #13 pruning shears.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2005
3:35 PM

Post #1546683

Just a trusty old hand trowel and Elvis stops to help weed, too!
The trowel lost it's name 20 years ago but fits my hand just right.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2005
3:52 PM

Post #1546744

Along with my trusty Felco's I have to say this little tool seems to get more use than any other.The tines on one side and a hefty blade on the other,combined with a handle long enough to generate some leverage make it pretty useful.

Thumbnail by balvenie

LuLuLocks
Coventry, RI
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2005
4:00 PM

Post #1546766

Okay, I had to vote for the hat, because I am just about the most photosensitive girl you would ever meet.

If I could vote again, I would be hard pressed to choose. There is always my uber pruners attatched to my little canvas tool belt via a phone cord lookin' thing. (rusted out to many by forgetting) Then there is my garden claw, my "garden chariot" (drink holder, pot holder, place for small/large tools, and good bucket size, love it), and my craftsman 2 stroke tiller. On the other hand, my super trowel and cultivator make me really happy too. Solid construction (so tired of bending trowels), well balanced, rubber in just the right places. Found it at a store of "functional art" here in providence, ri. Couldn't find pics of my metal ones, but they do have the plastic version featured on their site.

http://risdworks.com/product_detailnew.cfm?inv_number=ITEM-003

If its pretty, reasonable in price, sturdy construction AND functional, its perfect. These were just that. Well worth the $16 investment.
sh1025
Woodville, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2005
4:31 PM

Post #1546860

I voted "other" since I always have an empty 5 gallon bucket which I use for carrying my hand tools, various containers of fertilizer to throw out, I also use it to collect trimmings or weeds, and mix up liquid fertiler to pour on certain plants. It serves 101 uses during the year. Jenny
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2005
4:46 PM

Post #1546897

My favorite for digging is a tile shovel.Jody
norska
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2005
4:51 PM

Post #1546916

My Oxo Good Grips Gel-e weeder - I need it to do battle with the dandelions and evil thistle!!! :) It has a great fulcrum for leverage that doubles as a scraper to cut weedlings just below the surface. I don't know if they even make it any more, I've had it for a couple of years now.
portiaw
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2005
5:13 PM

Post #1546959

A good pair of gloves is my only necessity.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2005
5:44 PM

Post #1547017

I just love my hose and attachment connectors. It eliminates all that trying to unscrew hose attachments with wet hands and not being very successful at it. They are those brass quick-disconnect things and I have them on the sprinklers and watering heads for the hose and even on the hose to house connector and the hose reels so everything is easy connect and disconnect. Saves me time, frustration, and makes me happy!
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2005
6:01 PM

Post #1547055

I voted other for my plant ring from Lee Valley Tools - without it my japanese irises will blow over just before the blooms open, as we always have very strong winds this time of year. I counted 14 buds yeserday.
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 14, 2005
9:35 PM

Post #1547517

My ratcheting pruner...don't recall the brand and it's not shown on the tool, but I purchased it from Jackson & Perkins a few years ago.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2005
11:10 PM

Post #1547716

I couldn't garden without my trenching shovel for digging and dividing prennials and my knee pads. The pads are like roofers pads on the outside and soft comfortable rubber on the inside. Nice for kneeling on stones.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2005
11:10 PM

Post #1547717

I voted for my kneeling pad! I couldn't do without it..cause it seems I am always on my knees!! But I also have to say I LOVE my little tool garden cart from Walmart. I keep all my hand tools in it...and it's so easy to push around the yard as I work.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

bseddon
Pittsfield,, MA
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2005
11:16 PM

Post #1547728

How can anyone garden without a cape cod weeder... I have several so I can always find at least one and I've given them to every gardened I know!! One of these days i'll get smart and paint all the handles bright orange!!!

Thumbnail by bseddon

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2005
11:21 PM

Post #1547733

I voted for my "L'il Deere" and its cart that I pull behind.

I have the smallest riding mower that John Deere makes. It is mall enough to go through arches and do tight turns around the many trees I have. The cart is a must for hauling all the stuff I need to take back to my Secret Garden.
I garden on an acre. I wouldn't be able to do without it. These are two of my grandaughters on it.

Thumbnail by Starzz

elyearcrazy
Foley, AL

June 15, 2005
3:12 AM

Post #1548388

mine varies, on the time of year right now it is a long sleve shirt and a pair of gloves... the bugs are bad... and if one bites you on the hand it swells, and I don't want to get west nile...

ely
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2005
5:45 AM

Post #1548713

Couldn't garden without my gloves
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2005
6:23 AM

Post #1548731

One tool to pick? That would probably be my Winged Weeder Jr. http://www.wingedweeder.com If I could have two tools then I would add on my brass quick hose connectors since they save me so much effort and time where I don't have to screw my hoses and sprinklers together.

My DH voted his new garden tractor from Sears. What a great machine it is for him. We bought a lot of the implements for it so we have a bucket that we can carry compost and dirt and other things in, the rototiller will be great when we get our garden expanded next spring. The cart is handy for hauling tools, hay, straw, and all sorts of other heavy or not so heavy stuff. He loves it.

Lani
tomden
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2005
10:51 AM

Post #1548867

My hand shovel and hole digger! Denise

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2005
12:55 PM

Post #1549042

My favorite is my Ridley...he's the man that helps me...LOL

Hap
TNPassiflora
Oliver Springs, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2005
1:18 PM

Post #1549089

I LOVE my Mantis tiller!!!!! It makes gardening SO much easier!
Songbird839
Medicine Hat, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 15, 2005
2:58 PM

Post #1549326

I voted other. I must have my gardening gloves. I have arthritis and they make gardening much easier on the hands. I have the rubber coated kind.
Ewald
Limerick, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2005
3:00 PM

Post #1549330

Hand trowells are for potting soil, my most useful tool is my pointy shovel! It's great for leverage for popping up rocks to make a hole for a petunia. Sometimes I need the pick-mattock for more stubborn spots. It's a Craftsman, soo Sears replaced it free when I broke the handle trying to dig in my "soil".

This message was edited Jun 17, 2005 12:03 PM
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 15, 2005
5:22 PM

Post #1549755

I voted for the potting bench my DH built for me. It has a pegboard where I can hang and organize a lot of odds and ends, shelves for supplies, storage underneath for big bags of 'stuff' and a small area for starting seeds. But most of all, it was a thoughtful gift and makes me smile every time I look at it.

If I had to choose one (or two) items though, it would be my hat and gloves. The hat has a chin strap, but also one that goes around the back of the head and holds it on in all but the strongest winds -- which I use instead.
Drew_N_Corinn
Pleasant Grove, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2005
7:25 PM

Post #1549992

I love my big floppy gardening hat with a brim that is so big it keeps sun off my elbows... (JK) But really I really love (and own 5) of the hand held pressure sprayers available from FarmTek... I have soap shield in one and kelp in one and messenger in one and copper shield in one and I think Round up in one for the weeds (would never spray this stuff in a garden bed but the gravel around my beds likes it.

Drew
red_princess_71
Lilesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2005
9:19 PM

Post #1550229

I picked other and that other item is my DG t-shirt...i love it!!!

Char :o)
ashchignell
auckland
New Zealand

June 16, 2005
3:14 AM

Post #1550996

I have two favourite tools. The first is a Stainless Steel spade-- Westminster" or something--a cheap Chinese s/s spade and fork set that was given to me for Christmas,,but it suits me--perfectly weighted and balanced--a pleasure to use
The second is an item of hardware that I use as a gardening tool. It is a metal shelf bracket. It has about a six inch bit that screws on the watt and at right angles another six inch bit that a shelf goes on.
It's wonderful for digging, mixing, poking ,weeding and throwing(dogs)
Asthetically, it's probably a ugly tool ,but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In this case I am the princpal beholder so I think it's marvelous

Ash
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2005
4:10 AM

Post #1551177

My favorite is my trusty shovel. It's actually a fox-hole shovel that one of my brother's used in the army. I'm short and it is too, so we make a good match. My second choice would be my kneeler pad. I had to buy another one when my DH started helping me in the yard. They are also very handy when you start laying rock for a patio, and pulling nails out of 2 x 4's when you start remodeling your house.
jills
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2005
5:04 AM

Post #1551238

It's a close call, but I probably use my big black rubber bucket with handles more than anything. My most common use is to hold weeds and prunings as I wander around my garden (for later addition to the yard waste recycling bin), but I also use it to collect water when I empty my fountain, I've used it to carry soil amendments or plants from one part of the garden to another, and I just in general love it.

Next to that, it's my hand pruners. I have three or four pairs too, scattered in different parts of the yard so I can always put my hands on a pair.

I wish I could say I can't live without gardening gloves and/or my hat, but the truth is that I am not always very good about putting them on. I just go out to water one thing, and three hours later I'm I dirty, red mess.
ecobioangie
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2005
3:45 PM

Post #1551922

I'm with you sh1025! My 5 gallon bucket is the winner! :)
violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2005
8:56 PM

Post #1552565

No doubt about it--wouldn't be without my Mantis tiller--my 3rd one (in 20 years) is now electric and I love it even more :)
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

June 16, 2005
9:12 PM

Post #1552602

hand trowel. it's easy to lug around especially since i have a 3-yr old who's with me all the time.
jjayroe
Manning, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
9:39 PM

Post #1552669

My must have tool is a Weed Ox. It's a hand held weeding tool that I found at Walmart for around 6 bucks. I also found one that has a handle (same brand - Weed Ox) that is great too. I have a boy from down the street who helps me in the garden. We couldn't find the weed ox one day and he was in a frenzy. On my next trip to Walmart I bought him one to tend to his mother's garden with. I also bought one for my mother for mother's day. She called me to say that it was the best present she had gotten.
dbibb
Inverness, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2005
10:37 PM

Post #1552790

I have two must haves. My gardening gloves and my garden cart, which doubles as potting bench. I just couldn't do it without them.

Dee
irishbelle
Orange County, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2005
1:46 AM

Post #1553185

Well, I knew it had to be a hand tool, and voted for that but what to choose? Each time I read an opinion I said to myself, "Oh yes, that is my favorite." The pruners, yes that is the one . . . no, the hand rake or weeder. Could it be the gardening gloves or is it my Mantis tiller. Favorite jeans? My nephew digs excellent holes and works for food. Wait, hard lemonade -- how can I enjoy all my hard work without that? I can't choose; it is way too exhausting. I truly thank the Lord we aren't out working the earth in dresses (with unreasonable amounts of under garments) using oxen instead of power tools during a period of temperance or prohibition where we'd be shunned or worse for enjoying that beer or hard lemonade :- )
rainycz
Newark, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2005
1:57 AM

Post #1553206

Three things: a sweat band, gloves and, most of all, my kneeler/seat. It is an old one and is made completely of plastic (no metal arms like so many have, so it never gets hot).
maxxy
Aurora, IL

June 17, 2005
2:19 AM

Post #1553257

I voted other...and that "other" is my Japanese farmers knife! I have it with me whenever I garden, weed, or divide. I loosen the soil with it, it gets deep down into the dirt to get out the tough weeds such as dandylions, or thistle weed, without disturbing other plantings, it helps me thin out overgrown plants, and groundcovers that have gone rampent. I couldn't garden without it!! Oh, and of course my other must have is my DG T-Shirt!!
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

June 17, 2005
2:26 AM

Post #1553269

I am torn between my trusy weed diggers and the Weed-Ho that I ordered from Florian Tools site last year. It's great, but I think the hand weed-digger wins out. That's one tool that I use almost on a daily basis.
IsThisHeaven
Fenton, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2005
5:33 AM

Post #1553614

My mantis tiller, can't have proper beds without it!
lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2005
9:23 AM

Post #1553768

Big insulated mug of ice water!
tubbss5
Aurora, IL

June 17, 2005
2:44 PM

Post #1554210

I voted for a water device, my hose with a sprinkler head on because I water every day. I also must have sunscreen and sunglasses. I often carry a handheld spade in one back pocket just in case I choose to move something.
bagpypr
Redlands, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2005
2:49 PM

Post #1554223

BEER, BEER and more BEER!! Along with my "Ground Force" CD.
ldieffen
Avis, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2005
4:40 PM

Post #1554481

My tire iron...I use it standing up and just jam it into the ground and pop little bulbs, like alliums, in and cover up the hole. Goes really fast, with little effort from me.
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2005
4:56 PM

Post #1554508

Idieffen- That is a great idea!
TucsonJen
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2005
12:18 AM

Post #1555520

Coffee. Specifically, iced coffee with a lot of sugar.

Also, I keep needle nose pliers handy. The kind with a very long nose. :)
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2005
3:10 PM

Post #1556976

I carry a dandelion puller everywhere - it is great for a lot of stuff.
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2005
5:03 PM

Post #1557187

I use my water meter on all of my plants. I know that most people say that they do not work or are not accurate, but I have had great success with it. So far mine has never failed me. In fact, I have 3 of them since I have a bad habit of sitting it down somewhere and forgetting where I left it. I bought mine at Home Depot for $4.98 and they also sell them at Walmart for about the same price. I have found it particularly helpful when dealing with plants in larger pots. I tend to over water these because I stick my finger down in the soil as far as I can and it is dry. So I water it. Then next week I do the same thing not realizing that the plant is totally saturated on the bottom. I lost a large schefflera this way. Now I just stick the water meter down in the soil it it tells me what it is like all the way down to the bottom. So I would say that this is my favorite and most valuable tool.

JesseK

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2005
6:11 PM

Post #1557300

This voting booth question was scheduled before we got the Garden Products forum in place, but since so many of you have cheerfully spoken up here about your favorite garden tool(s), I hope you'll mosey on over to this new-ish forum: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/products/ and check it out.

Feel free to start a new thread about each of your must-have tools, and let others benefit from your experience. (Voting booth threads tend to fade fast once a new weekly topic starts up, while the forum threads seem to have a longer "life".)
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2005
6:51 PM

Post #1557360

My Fiskars clippers (slim and pointed blades) and my swimsuit!
Sassy_Pumpkins
Scotland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2005
7:13 PM

Post #1557397

Like BassetMom, my favourite must have item is my grabber, and for the exact same reasons, without it, it would be almost impossible for me to garden from my wheelchair. With it, I can do most anything I need to...although to be honest, I hate weeding and have convinced hubby that my 'grabber' just doesn't work well with weeds LOL *Big Grin*

Hmmm saying that though, I guess it would have to be a bit of a tie as to my favourite, the grabber or my hubby...shhhhh though don't tell him that *Grin*
davepays
Greenfield, MA
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2005
8:24 PM

Post #1557503

My "must have" item is definately MY HANDS!
Clover1
Hercules, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2005
9:40 PM

Post #1557674

My favorite tool is my old Smith and Hawkens digging fork. It is useful for turning and spreading compost, as well as digging up my clay soil.
paste592
Westminster, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2005
5:18 PM

Post #1559893

In an area where the soil is at least 75% rock, I've got to vote for my ditching spade (also called a drain spade). I have two, one is an Ames and the other a super-cheapie one from Big Lots, and each is great for digging a new area--

A regular shovel would be astonished to sink into unamended soil more than a half-inch without encountering rock, but this much narrower blade can go in a bit farther between the rocks, and by jiggling the narrow blade, can sneak in between sometimes to a depth of an inch!!

Pat
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2005
7:29 PM

Post #1560138

My wonderful Fiskars unbreakable shovel. I even carried it to TX when I went on vacation. My friend Sue, who lives in IN, goes to auctions. Knowing I break all my shovels, she bought this at an auction for $3!!! When she came to visit, she brought it with her and presented it to me--the unbreakable shovel.

It was BRAND NEW--still had the Fiskars tag on it. Had never been in the dirt. It is solid metal with wide non-skid "steps" where you put your feet to shove it into the ground. It's a beautiful shiny black with a florescent orange tip (so I can find it). It is my prized possession.

I don't loan it to anyone. And it's the only shovel I did with anymore. I can pry a huge Rose of Sharon bush out of the ground with it. Try that with a fiberglass job.

I just "dig" my unbreakable shovel. LOL

NancyAnn
smiln32
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2005
8:01 PM

Post #1560179

A simple pair of scissors. I am cutting things back daily now.
lmelling
Ithaca, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2005
9:13 PM

Post #1560307

My favorite tool is a 3 tined digging fork that is one-piece painted steel (similar to the picture of one by Lezko), about a foot long and 4" wide at the tines. Years ago a friend gave it to me and it's been the number one tool in my arsenal ever since. Although the tines are no longer straight because of hitting all the rocks and digging our hard clay soil, I still have and use that old fork -- I've hammered out those tines more times than I can remember!

I looked long and hard over the last couple of years and finally found a new one to use this spring - it was part of an English set - fork and spade. I still use the old one and now keep it in the front where the "easy" gardens are...kind of giving it semi-retirement...

These one-piece steel forks (I think they're forged) are not easy to find. Most places sell the ones that have a solder where the fork blade meets the handle...they last about one time out in our rocky clay soil!!!

This message was edited Jun 19, 2005 5:22 PM

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2005
9:34 PM

Post #1560360

I voted 'other'. I have to have my gloves. I've bought various kinds over the years but now have a favorite. They were freebies that came with the Farm Tek catalog I ordered. Boy are those gloves great! They're woven cloth so your hands don't get hot and they have gripper nubbies all over them so you can grab anything and if one side gets a bit wet, switch them around and keep working for awhile!
SalmonMe
Springboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2005
2:23 AM

Post #1560957

I voted other :) My must-have is my hands!!! :) Specifically my left hand and especially my left thumb nail. I love having the dirt all jammed up under my "manicure" :) Here's a tip... if you have a spray hose attached to your kitchen sink, just crank the water on full strength and blast under your nails with the spray hose. Mine gets all of the dirt out with no problem :)
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2005
1:01 PM

Post #1561770

I'll echo the three or so votes above for the Mantis tiller. It makes preparing new planting beds and vegetable garden seasonal changes a project which can be completed in minutes in our sandy soil in NE Fla. The tines could be made stronger and I had some problems getting it cranked up after winter storage, but it sure beats trying to pull up weeds and hoe the remaining growth into "green manure." It has come in handy for helping out neighbors that wanted to till up their yard for sod or other community beautification projects (Am I right, Sugarweed?!)

I also use the snap fit water hose connectors mentioned above. The plastic type that shut off the water flow when you disconnect the hose are especially great. I haven't installed a permanent sprinkler system yet -- still waiting to see where my flower bed patterns will emerge -- so I have hundreds of feet of hoses stretched across my yard to oscillating sprinkler heads in the current flower beds. I can easily transfer the water to different beds just by pulling off the connection at one of the main water supply hoses and reconnecting it to one of the sprinkler hoses.
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2005
8:06 PM

Post #1616233

I always wear 2 sweat bands,have my leather palm gloves, shovel, and more stuff that I put in my little red wagon thats pulled by my little Ford 1210 tractor. My one must have item would be MY SHOVEL! With it alone I'll get something planted in the soil.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2005
2:34 PM

Post #1636318

My can't live without garden tool is the one balvenie posted , whatever it is called ...

borrowed balvenies picture

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Leehallfae
Seattle, WA

July 22, 2005
4:42 AM

Post #1641194

A hat. It helps keep the sun out of my eyes, and keeps things literally out of my hair.

A very sharp pruner/loper ? is also good.
NematanthusNut
Mandeville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2005
11:19 PM

Post #1660995

My dibble! It's great for bulbs and bedding plants. I also use it to "poke a hole" in the ground to insert fertilizer stakes or just fill the hole up with time released plant food. I don't know what brand it is. Mine's made in England and it's nice and heavy with a groove cut lengthwise in it.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2005
8:50 PM

Post #1862566

Other - a pick ax... LOL... gotta clear out the rocks before I can plant
bluesprucechick
Sioux Falls, SD
(Zone 4b)

December 30, 2005
1:53 AM

Post #1945428

Okay ya all just had to pick this question eh? Well first here is what I have to say about the beer thing:

Spare the beer, feed the slugs.

Don't drink while gardening.

HEADLINE READS...

Due to unknown circumstances several gardeners have been found to have a huge attraction to their gardening tools...

While taking a poll to find what gardeners one must-have gardening item was we have found that gardeners have a huge attraction to particular gardening items. Here are just a few of our findings:

1) While mowing his lawn a gardeners riding lawn mower mysteriously jumped out of gear and ran him over.
Findings: It appears the gardener had dropped his can of beer while mowing his lawn and because he had been highly intoxicated, he proceeded to lunge after his beer, leaving the mower to drive along on its own, turning towards the driver and running him over. The gardener was taken to a nearby hospital and received several stiches, the can of beer was shaken, but caught by a near passerby before it hit the ground. The passerby was thankful no harm had been done. Names were with held due to embarrasment of gardener and passerby unwilling to remove the can from his mouth long enough to speak with us.

Okay seriously...my hand trowel and pruners. Gotta have my hand trowel, if all else fails use hands. Pruners for whatever gets in my way.
bluesprucechick
Sioux Falls, SD
(Zone 4b)

December 30, 2005
1:53 AM

Post #1945433

Okay ya all just had to pick this question eh? Well first here is what I have to say about the beer thing:

HEADLINE READS...

Due to unknown circumstances several gardeners have been found to have a huge attraction to their gardening tools...

While taking a poll to find what gardeners one must-have gardening item was we have found that gardeners have a huge attraction to particular gardening items. Here are just a few of our findings:

1) While mowing his lawn a gardeners riding lawn mower mysteriously jumped out of gear and ran him over.
Findings: It appears the gardener had dropped his can of beer while mowing his lawn and because he had been highly intoxicated, he proceeded to lunge after his beer, leaving the mower to drive along on its own, turning towards the driver and running him over. The gardener was taken to a nearby hospital and received several stiches, the can of beer was shaken, but caught by a near passerby before it hit the ground. The passerby was thankful no harm had been done. Names were with held due to embarrasment of gardener and passerby unwilling to remove the can from his mouth long enough to speak with us.

Okay seriously...my hand trowel and pruners. Gotta have my hand trowel, if all else fails use hands. Pruners for whatever gets in my way.
bluesprucechick
Sioux Falls, SD
(Zone 4b)

December 30, 2005
1:54 AM

Post #1945436

HEADLINE READS...

TNPassiflora
Oliver Springs, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2006
8:56 PM

Post #2112743

Definitely, my Mantis Tiller...gardening has not been the same ever since I bought it! Love the small size, lightweight, and maneuverability! Would recommend it to anyone.
isom
Mission BC
Canada
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2006
6:52 AM

Post #2115983

Couldn't maintain my garden without a hand cultivator. I hate bending over (hurts my back) & prefer to garden kneeling or sitting on the ground. A good hand cultivator does so much - loosening soil, grabbing creeping buttercup roots (& that of many other weeds) for easy pulling, chopping slugs if you use the back edge, prying apart pot-bound roots when transplanting plants from gallon size & above containers, working out some larger rocks that I don't feel like digging out with fingers, & the list could go on.

When working in soil at ground level, nothing beats a hand cultivator. I have a number of close 2nds but keep this one by me at all times. In fact, I have about 4 of them so I always have one handy. No particular brand but make sure it's sturdy & the tines are solidly welded together.

Thumbnail by isom

therealapplefan
Naperville, IL

March 21, 2006
3:15 AM

Post #2126958

My rolling seat! It's the greatest for picking green beans and limas.
I really wouldn't plant beans without a comfortable way to harvest them...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2006
9:46 PM

Post #2143181

My shovel! It takes a big chunk of dirt and is the only one I grab for most chores. The handle cracked down low, but duct tapes' holding it together. I have 4 shovels of varying sizes, but this one's my right arm.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2006
2:30 PM

Post #2407825

I have 2 favorites. I've gotta have my gloves and a special digging tool, oh, and my pruners (for deadheading). So I guess I have to have 3.
croclover
Lake Forest, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2006
5:37 AM

Post #2430626

Gotta have my CROCS!
MyHiraeth
Lisbon
Portugal
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2006
4:32 PM

Post #2478433

ok...
Don't need at all:

Gloves - THAT would spoil all the fun! -

Must Haves:
My drop of Jameson's - tastes better than ever!
A pair of scissors (hope the spelling's right!)
My watering can
My fiskars fork - fell in love with it, God knows why..

Better still if I havem':

My 3 year old son
My husband, most adored pesky critter, smiling at my enthusiasm
New plants

Heaven on earth:

A REALLY big garden instead of my balcony!!!!!!!!!!!! (not a substitute for all the above, however :-)

handbright
Coral Springs, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 12, 2006
12:41 PM

Post #2614166

I've changed my mind. The ONE tool I absolutely could not do without is this site.
Seriously.
turbosbabe96
Ingleside, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2006
7:20 AM

Post #2784086

My pink mud gloves!!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2006
5:39 PM

Post #2788530

My Loppers, or Pruners ... I can't imagine living down here in the South without them!

My next item would be Sunscreen and a Hat!
gardengirl1960
Seabrook, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2006
3:07 PM

Post #2810156

Must have??? Good Garden Soil !!
Tricia
silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2007
8:33 AM

Post #3092336

mine would be a few things so i say other:

i'd have to have my dh and my 5 kid's helping it is just so fun to enjoy with all them there and who could refuse 6 extra sets of hands to help. we talk for hours while we work and spend quility time together learning and haveing fun(although laundry day later on is the killer for me).

many many hand trowel's my 2 year old always looses them in the yard when i need them most.

any kind of new plant, tree or other i can add to my collections. i love to plant and the kid's love to have fresh veggies, berries and flowers to pick.

you'll laugh at this one but my son's old skateboard. perfect hight and size to sit on and roll down the rows as you plant. it is so convienant and it don't hurt your legs or back. of couse i happened on that one by mistake,lol. the kid's think it's neat. now they use them to haul dirt buckets or planters too. who would have ever thought it could have so many other uses.

WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2007
6:16 PM

Post #3452204

Would anyone happen to know if the following exists?

A hand held weed eater. Likely it will have to be battery
operated, but I was looking for something a little tougher
than a cheapo plastic fan blade.

Am I crazy, or does such a thing exist?

:-) Karen Marie
CutNGlass
Hendersonville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2007
4:00 AM

Post #3663690

Gloves --

Several pairs, some thick enough for big thorns
Some sturdy enough for loading/unloading chunks of granite
Some thin enough to feel what I'm doing
Some warm enough for winter outside for hours
Some just warm enough to go get some more firewood
Some breathable backs for hot weather -- and no stickers
Some extras because I can't find the ones I was wearing last week -- oh there they are under the chain saw!
Some just 'cause

-- Mary
rose_gardenmom
Boise, ID

June 27, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3665990

I'm with lincolnitess . . . after having passed out from heat exhaustion & dehydration one morning when I stayed out in the sun too long, now I always have a big bottle of nice, cold water on hand, and refill it often!
goatmama22
Fort Plain, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3671986

I've been thinking about this thread and have finally realized what it is for me. I can, may not want to but can, get by without most anything or make something else do except for my Coppertone Sun and Bug. I just discovered it and will never be without it again. I have very fair skin so need sunblock but many of them seem to attract the bugs, while many bug repellents seem to make you burn faster. I used to have to chose which I wanted, burn or bites. This stuff works great in both departments.
ManicReality
Houston, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 1, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3683564

This giant knife i have, is about a foot long blade, with sort of forked end and serated edges, its great as a saw or to dig deep or slice the grass out of the way, or to cut off fruits or veges or flowers... its just wonderful.
carrieebryan
Independence, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #3774130

Dirt.
MistyPetals
North Augusta, SC

August 3, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #3814838

Succulents, because when all else fails, they'll hang on to brighten my day.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2007 5:47 PM
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3903715

My favorite gardening "must have" is my Muck shoes from "The Original Muck Boot Company".
http://www.muckbootsandshoes.com/index.php
They're as soft and comfortable as my favorite bedroom slippers. My feet stay warm in the winter, and my feet never stink - spring, summer, fall, or winter - when I take them off after wearing them for hours on end. They're completely waterproof and have an AWESOME tread on the bottom to keep me from slipping on wet grass, mud, etc. I have bought them for my parents and sister as gifts. Mom and Dad wear them (everywhere), regardless of the season. (Mom had them on today when she came to visit.) They slip on as easy as your slippers and the band around your leg is soft and stretchy. ..I will always, always, always have a pair! ..Best thing I've found it years!
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2007
10:19 AM

Post #3969645

I saw this and my 1 most favorite would be, notice I said would be, someone to do all the work.

Hey I can dream can't I???
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2007
12:25 PM

Post #4074888

I cannot live without the garden hose. I live in fear of a no watering ban during drought periods. I can't live without a shovel either. Oh No! I can't decide!!!!! I need all my gardening tools! My rubber shoes,the pond Skimmer! Yikes! I am stopping this right now!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #4083720

My only must have in the garden are my kitchen scissors by Cutco!!!!!!!!!!!!! One minute I am cutting up chicken for a dish and the next I have cleaned them and out to cut something...these Cutco scissors are better than any pruner around...
daiseycat
Assonet, MA
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2007
7:53 AM

Post #4084301

My absolute must have is the garden hose. I love to watch the gardens respond to the watering. But , I agree scissors are wonderfull in the garden. You can dead head 10 flowers at once! Sometimes I feel like Johnny Depp in ?/ Scissorhands. :)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #4084840

You just can't ruin these Cutco scissors but mine are either going to have to be sharpened (which they will do) or get some new ones...(15 years is long enough for me)
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

October 15, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #4086319

My raspberry bushes--So I can take a break and enjoy the fruits of my labors. They produce twice a year- early summer and fall. They're wonderful !!!
LostIndian
Algonac, MI

October 23, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #4115552

HELP-HELP-HELP
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #4116087

I love your answer!!!!!!!!!!! PRICELESS...and isn't it the truth...

I came home yesterday from being out of town for almost a week...a cold norther had blown in and the winds were whipping around over 50 mph...I said 50 last night but the news this morning said they were 60 mph...tired as I was (and an old granny at that) I first picked up every single pot laying over on its side...big and heavy ones...and put them where they could get protection from the north wind.

Last night i waked up 3 times with legs cramping so much i couldn't sleep...know it was nothing but being dehydrated from hauling all those big pots around for an hour or so...(by myself of course)...

Anyone ever want to come help with gardening Lost Indian and I will welcome you with open arms (LOL)
patticake512
Clifton Park, NY

January 9, 2008
12:56 PM

Post #4378824

I love my little hand trowel. Sounds strange and simple, but it's an extension of my hands and cuts thru where my hands can't.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #4382380

Gotta have the kneeling pad. I have all kinds and sizes. One for every occaision. They are in the garage, the work shed, the front hall closet and one is in the car. Once, coming home on the "back roads" from a trip I came across an abandoned farm house that had a gorgeous climbing rose. Took some doing but I got a chunk of that rose. A kneeling pad sure would have made it easier.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #4397588

I have also wished for a hand-held weed eater (ah...string trimmer). Seriously, is there such a thing? I have stepping stones or stones with grass in the cracks. I think a hand held trimmer would be just perfect for this job.
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 2, 2008
4:55 AM

Post #4485110

I have a torpedo hoe I couldnt garden without. Its used for delicate weeding , seed , grubbing out roots and rocks and just for leaning on.
blunt or sharp it's great. Secatuars is 2nd on list, Ive had the same one over 25yrs, theyve had heavy duty use all that time and never been
sharpened, still very very sharp. Next a kneeling stool I use as a seat for weeding out oxalis bulbs, and a hand towel to wipe my brow,
often. Buuuut my favourite is a sprung deck chair that reclines slighty,, Oh the relief !! From there I can while recuperating admire the
work done, this makes starting again so much easier. A cold beer?? Nooo, A cold cuppa tea every time.

Kiwi
mommie
Weslaco, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4631144

I couldn't live without a hose. & neither could my garden!
sunbug1
Todd, NC

April 9, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #4781441

Must have my handy pick. It's a valuable tool, especially for separating bulbs like daylillies and irises.
My soil is rocky here, and I use the pointed end to dig holes, and the blade end for cutting nasty roots like those of the small, but evasive briers that try to run up the stems of my plants & flowers.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5362351

Wow. I say WOW. I found it!

The hand held weed eater I was talking about last summer? Yes, they do make one,
and I found one locally! Sure, I didn't try very hard, but there it was one day, just sitting
on the shelf staring at me. I'll take it!

This thing is great! Sure, it is charged electrically and only lasts for about thirty minutes
per charge, but hubby said we should buy another one. I agree.

Basically, it looks like hair trimmers, only for the garden. They are lightweight and
small, gliding along small plants, little trees and other areas you need to
weed but can't use a big trimmer for fear of decapitating the plants.

It is about twenty dollars, I found it at Wal Mart. Weed Eater brand C-Max
WGS36 with a 3" grass shear. Very cool. Not heavy duty, but it did the job just fine.
Just grab a wad of weeds or grass and shear them off close to the ground.
The only drawback is that before you know it, you have a huge pile of sheared
grass to clean up, but well worth the final presentation.

I just trimmed both sides of the chain link fence, where Johnson grass loves to
grow. Snipped it right off. We can actually see through the fence now.

I'm in love!

UPDATE: They make one with higher voltage AND a hedge trimmer. Whoo hoo!

This message was edited Aug 12, 2008 8:44 PM
ajaxmd
Vienna, WV

August 12, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5401863

My favorite thing is a small shovel called a floral or perennial shovel. I don't even use a hand trowel any more, because the floral shovel is so much easier to use, but small enough to maneuver in tight places that you would otherwise use a hand trowel. MUCH less bending over. Also, couldn't do without the wheelbarrow I've had for 24 years, even if I did fall on it last year and bust some of the plastic off with my derriere...It holds soil amendments, and lets me mix with soil before backfilling. I've got to get a Mantis...
norcalgardener2
Biggs, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2008
7:16 AM

Post #5416753

I couldn't garden without my Hans Plads Fraya stainless steel spading fork. I used to go through a spading fork every season until my DH got me this beauty. I turned around and bought one for my mom & mother in law. It's an essential, for me!

Thumbnail by norcalgardener2

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

August 16, 2008
4:46 AM

Post #5421168

glass of wine
ajaxmd
Vienna, WV

August 16, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5423003

norcalgardener2, I'm liking that spading fork--looks light, and mine weighs a ton. Where might such an item be acquired?
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2008
4:29 AM

Post #5425184

I love my cutco scissors too and bought some for the garden but my favorite "tool" is my no kink garden hose...WOW is it wonderful!
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

August 17, 2008
5:47 AM

Post #5425396

booplants - is your no kink hose really no kink? What brand is it? I would love to find a no kink that is really good!
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5426045

Portland, It really is a no kink...I bought it several years agao...these really last in the sun as I live in Phoneix! I got a 50 footer...but they make them longer. I saw some at Target the other day...and I believe they say NO KINK or something like that on them.

Good luck!
norcalgardener2
Biggs, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #5426070

ajaxmd, your best bet would be to google Hans Plads and give them a call to see if they have a dealer in your area. I bought the ones I gave as gifts directly from Hans Plads - they were awesome to work with on the direct purchase.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #5426844

Portland,

Wine. LOL. Good answer! What is your preference? :-)

Karen Marie
ajaxmd
Vienna, WV

August 18, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5429313

Thanks, norcal--I tried googling the whole name and got an Islamic web site (?!!). Will keep trying. Boy do I have a long Xmas list after reading this thread...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5628700

This looks like the site for the Hans Plads: http://www.hansplads.com/fraya/forks.html

And here's the site for purchasing it: http://www.hpihomecenter.com/servlet/Categories?category=Fraya+Gardening+Tools

This message was edited Oct 3, 2008 9:35 AM
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #5775506

Shovel, Made by Craftsman.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5775625

Gasoline powered edger. What used to take me two days to edge the beds, sidewalks and driveway now takes 1/2 day.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2008
5:20 AM

Post #5776841

LOL! What a great thread. I have to say, if I did have a "can't live without" hand tool, it would be the thing pictured by and posted about by both balvenie on June 4 '05 and scooterbug on July 20 '05. ( I don't know how to lift the photo and port it to this post so telling instead...)

I used to have one of those and could not imagine gardening without it when I had it. I called it my "chopper digger" although the name on the handle was "Hoe-Matic".

I never could figure out where they got the "-Matic" part of that. ;-)

Then one very sad day, the handle finally broke (after 6 years of heavy use) and I could not find a replacement in the situation I was in at the time. I kept the head in my 5 gallon tool bucket for several years, and bought another kind of hand hoe thingie but it was too heavy and awkward and just did not do the same work.

I finally got rid of the head of the old chopper-digger. But I hope one day to acquire another.

Thanks for the memories of a favorite tool.

bjwilson
Kemp, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5781656

Well, I have a garden shed full of tools, all of which come in very handy for different jobs around the yard, and I could not do without them at different times depending on the task that needs to be done... I wouldn't have them, if I didn't need them. But, the one piece of equipment (I suppose you'd call it) that I use everyday is my wagon. Whether I'm pulling weeds, picking up debris, planting, or moving dirt... I'm always pulling it around the yard. It's big enough to hold all my hand tools, bulbs, plants, buckets, fertilizers, and what ever I need as I move from bed to bed. I bought it at Tractor Supply, and it acts as a little dump truck when I pull a lever.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5782004

You know bjw - that's my second best tool - my wagon. Mine's a little different though. It is made of plastic and looks like a big rectangular milk crate. It wall haul 1200 lbs of stuff. The reason I use one that cant hold dirt is because I use it to hose off pond filter matts. The water of course runs through. Makes rinsing off cleaning pond stuff a snap.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #5782779

Kylaluaz: Balvenie's post was 6/14/05: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=1546744 on this same thread.

Ok -- I found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/World-Wide-Sourcing-609728-Cultivator/dp/B000KL1M60. $7.15 plus $6.25 shipping. Here's another source -- slightly less expensive, but shipping is even more: http://www.antonline.com/p_World-Wide-Sourcing--609728--Hoematic-Cultivator-_405291.htm. Here's another source, but pricier: http://www.eclectic-gardener.com/tradjapgarto.html.

I love hearing about everyone's favorite tools. I've acquired a number of these!

This message was edited Nov 12, 2008 12:48 PM

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5783167

Well, my stars! thank you for doing that research for me, Happy; although I use the internet all the time and buy stuff online, I keep forgetting the options... Anyway, I just ordered one of those, how delightful!

And yeah, got that posting date wrong, it was night and the only light was this screen, and my eyes were tired, is my excuse.

;-)
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #5878443

It's in three winners in my mind: 1st, the gloves by the Crocs brand, 2nd, the cultivater the DoitBest Brand, and of course the kneeling pad (do not know the brand) For long handled tools it's the Hoe. The Hoe devours all the spring weedlings in my vegatable garden and the tulips in the showy garden ( Way is it the all the weeds seeds grow in places where the garden NEEDS to look good) I'm growing hollhocks to shade some off hopefully...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #5880878

I didn't see any mention of crocs gloves on the crocs website -- can you post a link to the gloves you are referring to?

And which cultivator? See http://doitbest.com/search-cultivator.dib -- but I didn't see any that were the doitbest brand.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2008 7:51 AM
dixiegril
Jesup, GA

July 28, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6876482

My one must have gardening item is a man that will help me work it!!!!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #6876532

My Fiskars long-handled loppers - they cut through branches like butter.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6876552

I'm so glad to hear that -- I was just about to order them! I love this thread. Wish it weren't attached to a voting booth question -- makes it hard to find!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6876871

I just happened to see the thread - not sure how.

I have had very good success with Fiskars - good quality and design. That said, I broke the blade of their little saw yesterday on an Amur maple - first time using that saw - so not sure what happened there. I haven't contacted them about possible replacement yet. Anyway enjoy the loppers, they've been great! And the extension handles are very easy to use.

Shannon
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6880360

I just ordered the loppers, AND the extension tree saw! I am sorry about your saw -- presumably it is under a warranty, but if it is poorly made, you won't want a replacement!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6882682

Thanks! I have the extension tree saw/pruner too - haven't used it yet though. Good point about the saw - I'll see what they say.

Another must-have item: Fiskars (again!) soil knife, I think they call it. It's like a combination trowel/weeder/bag opener/twine cutter/all-round good tool. I broke one of the little points off lifting patio stones (bought a proper pry bar later that day ... lol) but it's still the greatest little tool. & a nice orange handle so it's harder to lose.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #6996902

Other...I would have to say the antioxidant I just started taking a couple months ago. My knees don't ache anymore. It is called Vemma. If you want to know more just Dmail me. I am amazed how it really works but so glad it did.
deejaygrizz

September 12, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #7055828

a weed wacker--mine just broke
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7056413

http://www.worxyardtools.com/cordless/grass-trimmers.html?gclid=CPTD8LyE7ZwCFQEhDQodcTCgjw

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_114351_55010_-1

Check 'em out. I have the Worx. It's a good product, edges and trims. Down side is it doesn't have automatic line advance. The battery charges quickly and lasts a very long time. I tried the Troy Bilt. It's heavier and has automatic line advance. But the head doesn't rotate to edge sidewalks and flower beds. I have miles of curved beds, two stretches of sidewalk and a driveway to edge so the Worx is more functional for me. Also it's extremey light weight. I'm a retired lady and that's important to me.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #7056582

I just love this thread! So much great information. I just saw this on Amazon: It may become my favorite (though I haven't ordered it yet): Fiskars Garden Bucket Caddy. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005YX30/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance. Is that a cool idea or what?
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7057136

It is. I especially like the idea of having your cell phone handy and a water bottle handy. Not to mention that I leave a trail of tools behind me as I progress through the garden.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2009
6:48 AM

Post #7058069

From looking at the Fiskars Bucket Caddy, I found this other cool bunch of tools -- Bucket Boss -- I'd never heard of them . See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000022439/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance, They are really reasonably priced. I think Fiskars borrowed the idea... but I like the idea of the inside of the bucket being empty to put all the junk I accumulate while gardening (empty pots, weeds, whatever).
carolmorton
APISON, TN

October 5, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7137073

My long handled dandelion weeder for wrenching all kinds of weeds out of this often
hard soil.
epazota
Lakeland, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 6, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7139742

Can you post a picture of the example of your long handled dandelion weeder? I am curious to see if this is something that I can not live without
HelenVT
Charlotte, VT

October 7, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #7143135

My one must have is a mixed sprayer of roundup with my collection of plant covers made up of different sizes of cups, large coffee cans, vinegar bottles with their tops sawed off and five gallon buckets. I've had shoulder surgery and back problems so I try to innovate to keep gardening. If anyone has any ideas to keep me going I'd love to hear it.
maryw28
Grand Forks, ND

November 5, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7244367

My Japanese weeding knife is my must have tool. It has a nice weight to it and a serrated edge on one side. I have had the same one for many years and if it broke or I lost it I would have to get another.I use it to pry up weeds, stab a slug, scoop out small planting holes, slip under a patch of something like self-seeded feverfew and get hundred of little seedlings in one fell swoop.
i24him
Radcliff, KY

January 25, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7494143

Hat 8" brim . About worn out. Need a new one soon. I like it so much. Hope it makes it this season.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7500226

Hi i24him. What hat is it that you like so well?
temafilly
Oconomowoc, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 22, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7579640

Hello All,
So many choices...I would have to say my trowel. You can do 95% of gardening tasks with a good trowel; you will just have to do so at ground-level. Which is a great place to look for the evil spawn of Cabbage Whites and other pests. Plus the scent of fresh-turned dirt is ambrosia to us plant-nuts. About the only thing you can't do (decently) is prune.
I have many baskets set on the deck, on posts in the front bed, hanging...you get the idea. So a small digging tool is essential.
My Grandmother's gardening fork is another must-have. I wish I had a trowel from that time-period - they obviously made things to last back then. I need to buy a new trowel every other year or so, because the little pin that holds the blade to the haft always gives. I'm really not nice to that tool :,( and I suppose that will happen when you dig head-size rocks out with it. Does anyone know where one can buy a solid adamantine trowel?
I also agree that a cold cocktail is a nice thing to have - just make sure it's in a closable lidded container - ants, bees, dirt, the occasional dog...yep our dog likes Yukon - and gets a trowel in the butt if he steps in my garden. I love Labs, but they're not graceful; a cry of 'get off the beans!' has the effect of sending him into the corn. I do encourage him to pee on the outside fence corners though, it keeps the deer away!
--- And a radio - backbreaking all-day work definitely warrents tunes...GOT Dan-de-lion Fever! or maybe...SEEEDS And A Troww-el !

This message was edited Feb 22, 2010 11:43 PM
patientgardener
Bridgeville, PA

November 29, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8235659

My little cart with the tractor seat and a tray underneath the seat.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8364835

A good lawn mower.
PamDavis
Ramah, NM

March 21, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8440659

My most useful, and thus most favorite, is a sharp hoe, 7" wide, but only 2.5" high, inherited from my father who got it from his father!
pbayleaf
Hamilton
Bermuda

March 21, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8441775

My Felco 7's. Used every working day for the past 34 years ( with loving care ! )
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8447637

my ice chest full of cold drinks. I have a chair and umbrella for when I get hot and tired. The chest will have ice tea, beer,water, juice, homemade wine, or any combination of those.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8451623

Homemade wine? Do tell!
pbayleaf
Hamilton
Bermuda

March 27, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8454567

No Rose Hip Syrup ?
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8454669

Wine is pretty easy to make. I make anywhere from 5 to 30 gallons every year. I have 3 labels that I use. Sleeping Wolf, Gumption, and junkyard. All my bottles are recycled, although I buy new corks. I am planting hops this year, so I can try my hand at brewing.

Never heard of rosehep syrup, although I have an almost unlimited supply of roseheps available.
deejaygrizz

April 1, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8465215

a weed eater !!
pbayleaf
Hamilton
Bermuda

April 3, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8469816

NikB . During the 2nd WW Rose Hips were collected by the bucket full in England and made into syrup which was a huge source of Vitamin C ( non - alcoholic I'm afraid !)
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8469999

I know they're high in Vitamin C, and they dry well, lots better than citrus fruit. I'm pretty sure there were even varieties that were grown exclusivly for the heps. I guess the kindest thing I can say about them is that they are an acquired taste, hehehe
pbayleaf
Hamilton
Bermuda

April 5, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8474859

Hi. Nik. These were Rose Hips collected from the Hedgerows in buckets by kids for a couple of pennies ! I doubt they had much time to grow any varieties in those days. The only rain that came down was rains of Bombs!! Pretty sure though someone managed to make Rose Hip Wine ! An acquired taste - maybe ! Regards.
jafagan53
Morton, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9072246

Would not step into my garden without my Lesche soil knife, sold in A.M. Leonard catalogue. It has an off set handle and a serrated edge on one side. Perfect for planting, weeding and aerating. Oh, and my kneeling pad!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM
Botany Quiz: An underground, horizontal stem is called... dave 57 Jan 10, 2008 5:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America