Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: Woa!

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 21, Views: 0
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
12:48 AM

Post #1547928

First of all:
Yippee! A little, teeny, tiny amount a rain! Lots and lots of thunder (it sounds so good!), some wind, and the hope of some real rain!

Second:
Yikes! I went to the back to door to call Jinx in (one of the kitties.) She came in, but then I could tell something was swarming around my head. I leaped out into the rain, slapping at my arms and brushing at my hair, running through the yard. I walked slowly back to the door (in the rain, yea!), and noticed for the first time that there are two wasps nests in the corners of the doorway!! I guess the sudden rain brought everyone home to roost a little earlier than usual. I'd never been stung by a wasp before, got stung twice - on my left forearm, and right thumb. :-(
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2005
12:56 AM

Post #1547949

Wish some of that rain would come our way! Maggie, hope your wasp stings are not hurting you too bad. If you start having any swelling, especially around your neck, be sure and get medical attention asap.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:22 AM

Post #1548022

Thanks, they don't seem to be too bad. I'm really pretty curious about them. A little swelling, a feeling of "tightness" around the sites, a little tingling, and just once in a while a sharp "prick" feeling. The one on my forearm had a dot of blood.

My son's dad swells up like crazy if he just looks at a bee.

It's so encouraging to hear the rain outside. It's a nice rain, not a gully-washer. We haven't had rain in... I can't remember when we had rain last. It's been at least 6 weeks, though there has been rain nearby more recently.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2005
1:25 AM

Post #1548034

Maggiemoo,

I can't believe you got rain today!!! I am in Northwest Houston and we didn't get squat, except extremely hot.

Sorry to hear about your stings. If you start to have a reaction, you can take Benadryl to help it if it is not too serious.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:37 AM

Post #1548076

Thanks, I was thinking about taking some Benadryl just to be sure, or to at least minimize whatever will happen.

Rain - and *heavy* rain, at that - has been all around me in the past couple of months. It's my turn! :-) I looked at weather.com, they say Harris and Montgomery counties are in a severe thunderstorm watch until 9pm. The radar looked like there was one cloud, raining on my house. As soon as I get done with it, I'll send it your way, lol!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2005
1:39 AM

Post #1548086

Send it North!! Don't you just love the smell of rain in the summer?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1548104

no, no, no send it south, it's hotter here. However, I would be willing to share LOL
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2005
1:52 AM

Post #1548134

Okay, so I complained too soon. All of a sudden (and not 10 minutes after the timer on sprinkler finally turned off after 1 1/2 hours), we started getting lightning and thunder and now rain, glorious rain. Really big drops and lots of wind. Only down side is that my dog is terrified of storms, so we have to medicate her and put her in her kennel. She's like a bird, you cover the cage and that helps her calm down. Of course, sometimes the storms are over before the medication kicks in, but oh well, whatcha gonna do.

Anyway, I am still not going to complain too much. I think the last time we actually had any measureable amount of rain has got to be like Mother's Day. Every afternoon, everything looks as wilty as I do when I am outside too long.

Hopefully, we can get it down to you Nery if we don't use if all up. LOL!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:57 AM

Post #1548157

Oh, so THAT'S where it went! I wasn't finished with it!!

Shuggins, what area of NW Houston are you in? Just curious, as I am driving around the 249@1960, Jones Rd @290, and Cypress (almost to Fairfield) areas almost once a week, for work.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2005
2:15 AM

Post #1548206

Well I'm glad ya'll are getting some rain even if we are dry up here. :-)
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2005
2:25 AM

Post #1548230

You got the rain that, according to our weatherman, was almost certainly heading our way. There wasn't a cloud in the sky until late this afternoon, but only the white fluffy ones. I want a rain cloud or two, or maybe three. The grass has gone dormant. If it doesn't rain soon, more suppliment feeding. Those 50 lb. bags are heavy.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
2:31 AM

Post #1548246

I haven't watered my front lawn all year, and it looks like it! I did water the small area of grass in my back yard over the weekend. We must certainly be behind out normal rainfall for the year.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2005
11:45 AM

Post #1548909

Maggiemoo,

We are at Barker Cypress and 290. If you are out in Cypress, you are very near us. We live on the other side of 290 from you. I am directionally challenged, so I couldn't tell you what direction it is.

So how have you gotten away without watering your grass? Do you have San Augustine? Ours stays mad all the time these days. Between the grass and all the beds I put in over the winter, I dread seeing the water bill this summer.
HotnSpicy
Kerrville, TX

June 15, 2005
12:27 PM

Post #1548986

I really wanted some of that rain but it never materialized even this close to maggiemoo...(Kerrville) it sort of ...kind of sprinkled a tiny bit and then moved on...Wahhhhhhhhhhh I really wanted some on my garden.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:00 PM

Post #1549050

Shuggins, not watering my front yard wasn't really intentional. I kept thinking it was about to rain big-time, but rain kept falling everywhere but here. Then, when I finally figured I'd better supplement, I kept forgetting to (I spend almonst all of my time in the back yard anymore.) It is San Augustine, and I practice tough love: I water less often, but deeply, and I tell those blades to reach deeper if they want more water! The back yard is where most things are that I really want to baby. :-)

HotnSpicy, I really feel for you, that's how frustrated I was. I'm not saying that I want a tropical storm in TX, but... maybe the wet edge of one wouldn't be so bad!
midsgarden
Port Neches, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
1:01 PM

Post #1549054

Walked out of the doctors office yesterday afternoon to a down pour. One whole inch of rain in my gauge. WHAT A BLESSING.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
2:27 PM

Post #1549245

Oh, a downpour! What sweet music! :-)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
3:35 PM

Post #1549442

That "Radar" pooch on Ch 2 better get his act together and bring us some rain!
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2005
3:47 PM

Post #1549469

Or it's back to the pound with him?!?!?!?LOL

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2005
9:28 PM

Post #1550243

Maggiemoo, I know what you are talking about with the wasp sting. I was in a hurry one day to pick up my son at school and got in the car without looking, Welll! I sat on a wasp and I really got it, I have never forgotten it.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2005
11:01 PM

Post #1550394

Oh my goodness! You didn't see THAT coming!!

I totally forgot about those guys, headed out the back door when I got home from work, and almost got nabbed again. I'll wait till dusk, when they are all pretty much back at the nest, and then it will MY turn to nab them! ;-)

The beds in my back yard looked like they didn't get enough rain to brag about it. My "wildflower bed" is looking especially sad, so I went ahead and set the sprinkler on it.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2005
11:49 PM

Post #1550463

Ouch!!! And I thought stepping on a bee was bad.

Maggie, I hope you aren't still in pain. Good luck getting the buggers.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America