-
AuthorContent
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
5:15 AM

Post #1551257

Maggie called this evening as she was driving back from Spring this evening after getting something to eat, as where she lives was without power. Before we lost our connection due to towers being out in her area she was telling me about how all the traffic and street lighrs were out, as well as all the lights in the office buildings save for the emergency back up lighting. Just before she disappeared into the dark she commented on how surreal it was going back into the area where there was no power.

Hopefully she's getting some sleep tonight (no a/c or fan) and will be back online with us tomorrow.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/4615030/detail.html

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news\061505_local_power.html

This message was edited Jun 16, 2005 12:49 AM
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2005
5:34 AM

Post #1551280

Boy, I hope the power is restored soon. It is so yucky when this happens.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
1:08 PM

Post #1551566

Thanks Donna and Hazel, I have power now. Last night was no fun!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2005
1:51 PM

Post #1551659

Thank the Lord, I know it can be scary, it is amazing how much we depend on electricity.
How many hours was it off?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2005
5:28 PM

Post #1552187

I thought about you last night when the news mentioned a blackout in your area. We've been lucky here. Our power outages have been only minutes long. When we had that hours long West Coast power outage some years ago, we were without power for over 24 hours. Lost everything in the refrigerator and our extra freezer. With kids it's difficult to keep the refrigerator door closed.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
5:41 PM

Post #1552206

Hello everyone, I've been in a meeting all morning, getting ready to go back for more.

I was so thankful that the electricity came back in my neighborhood around 11:30 last night, the initial brownout started about 5 to 7:00, then it was out all the way at 7:10. Some people in my office didn't get electricity until 3:30am, there are still some people out there with no electricity.

It was just a very surreal experience, as Donna said. I was writing a d-mail to someone and my screen faded slowly to black. I'm glad I turned off the power strip and AC and other items. There were 9 fires in the area last night, one was a really bad one, due to the power surges. That explains all the emergency sirens I kept hearing, and the fire trucks that passed me when I was on the road. It was quite frustrating to not even get a good cell signal, you don't often associate your cell ph with elec power. I tried to go to sleep, just lay on my bed with my gardening clothes on (to be cool), my glasses on, a flashlight in one hand and my keys in the other. It just started to feel a little scary being alone. (Too many movies about masked marauders during black-outs!):-)

The most important thing is, my garden is just fine!;-)

dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
5:49 PM

Post #1552223

I'm so glad to hear you got your power back early enough to get some rest last night and that all is well now. I thought about you last night being alone in the dense dark.

It was wierd hearing you talk to me last night as you started to lose your signal. It never occured to me till then that cell phones are really all about eletricity...

Very glad to hear you're okay,

Donna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America