Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hoyas: Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!!

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 26, Views: 561
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
2:40 PM

Post #1554197

Vegas was a blast and I/we had a wonderful time. Who needs slot machines when you have people like Carol and Deb giving you hoyas!! I felt like I was on the Price is Right, and I picked the right door!! Carol brought me a beautiful variegated epi, Fraterna (aff), Wallichii, Vitensis, lots of dischidia cuttings, mini Lacunosa, a Polynuera with the biggest leaves I've ever seen, and a Wightii, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Deb gave me scissors and free acess to her BEAUTIFUL & HEALTHY hoyas, she also gave me a BIG BIG Dischidia, a hoya we think is DS-128, a cutting of a very different type of Lacunosa, Cagayanensis, and I know I'm forgetting something. Deb and her husband were wonderful hosts. My mini-belle bloomed while I was gone and it has the most wonderful smell to it. I'm off to pot up my cuttings!!

Blessings,
Awanda

This message was edited Jun 17, 2005 6:11 PM

Thumbnail by ACsAgapePlants
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
2:41 PM

Post #1554202

Dischidia from Deb.

ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
2:42 PM

Post #1554204

The hoya-addicts!!

Wrong picture...hubby didn't do too well on this one:-)

This message was edited Jun 17, 2005 7:49 AM

ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
2:43 PM

Post #1554205

My granddaughter!!

ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
2:44 PM

Post #1554209

Some of Deb's beautiful hoyas!!

ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
2:48 PM

Post #1554221

I posted the wrong picture of the hoya -addicts, this one came out better!!

ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
3:10 PM

Post #1554264

Variegated epi!! The pot is courtsey of Deb!!

susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2005
6:41 PM

Post #1554783

Carol is really a jet setter!

Awanda has to have one of every hoya out there by now.

Gorgeous Plants!
meltn
Knoxville, TN

June 17, 2005
7:31 PM

Post #1554906

Glad to see and hear you had such a nice trip, Awanda. Looks like you also hit the jackpot even if you did not play the slots.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2005
9:16 PM

Post #1555115

This is wonderful. Sounds like you had a great time, and Awanda lucked out big time. I agree with Susan, Awanda must be really close to having all varieties of hoyas that exist.
Christine
ricfl
Saint Petersburg, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2005
11:30 PM

Post #1555437

Looks like everyone went home with more then they gave away. Good going ladies.
That epi is way too cool!!

Ric
NightBloomer54
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
11:38 PM

Post #1555451

I'm glad y'all had a good time. Awanda, you don't look old enough to have that beautiful granddaughter! Good to see Carol's smiling face too!
It was lonely online without you both.
Susan
ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2005
1:09 AM

Post #1555606

It's great to be back home and we got back just in time. The young man I had watching the greenhouse didn't do what he was supposed to do. If we had stayed away much longer, I would have come home to fried green hoyas. They looked really stressed when we got home last night; however this morning they looked much better. This is the last time I leave a "non plant" person to watch my babies! Susan thank you for the compliment, I started really young:-), I will be a wonderful 55 years young next month!! Ric isn't that epi the kewlest! I wish I did have all the hoyas I wanted; I do have Patella coming though. This hoya was grown from seed and Deb (who gave it to me) isn't sure what it is. The leaves aren't as thick as mini-belle or shepherdii.

Blessings,
Awanda

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 18, 2005
6:00 AM

Post #1556496

The jackpot for ME was meeting Awanda and Deb! Of course, their husbands, too!! Awanda is as lovely and as funny and gentle and loving as she appears on line. My sister, Joy, got to get in on the Hoya Happening...and we really were impressed with Debs plants. I mean...it was SOOOooo hot and so dry and with the A/C...well, an environment pretty foreign to me! Her plants are big and happy!!!

And, yes, Debbi gifted some beautiful plants to Awanda...the knife Awanda was holding at her throat was irrelevant!!! ;>)

Carol
sylck
Rockledge, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2005
7:34 AM

Post #1556570

Its always fun to meet your online hoya buddies. You will always treasure the memories.

I agree with you Ric...the var. epi is awesome!

Sylvia
ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2005
12:35 AM

Post #1557949

Yes it was wonderful meeting online hoya addicts. And the knife I was holding was really small:-). It felt like we had known each other for years, lots of laughing. Deb was kind enough to let us swim, use the jacuzzi and her hubby cooked hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. As Carol mentioned, Deb's hoyas were just awesome, especially since she grows them all inside with air conditioning. Our hoya babies are adaptable, tough, and survivors.

Blessings,
Awanda
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2005
9:35 PM

Post #1560362

Little did y'all know that Awanda is really Vanna White... Here is her bounty from Deb...sorry the light is bad.

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2005
9:36 PM

Post #1560364

...and Awanda and Carol (Carol is the one in the back!)

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

NightBloomer54
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2005
2:29 AM

Post #1560971

Ok now I'm jealous! Just kidding... What a great photo of you ladies. I was however seriously distracted by the big fat bloom to the left of Carol's head! LOL...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2005
3:23 AM

Post #1561209

That was what was left of the H. aff. fraterna...LOL
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 20, 2005
4:17 PM

Post #1562171

(sigh!!)
Everythings fabulous! I'm admiring that var. Epi. w/envy, too!

I had seen the lovely Ms. Awanda (55? no way!) in the past, but nice to see the lovely Carol! (You remind me of someone...can't figure out whom?!)

Looks like a good/happy time!

I'm not familiar with Deb...does she visit the forum at all?

Awanda...do the leaves of that dischidia have a little bit of 'bloom'..you know, that chalky 'residue' to them?

Looks like one I have that is UN-ID'd, so curious as to whether you have an ID for that one.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2005
7:36 PM

Post #1562775

Awanda looks mucho young...not a wrinkle and not a grey hair. (beauty envy here)...but, hey, I don't look bad for 83, do I? (OOOOOps, that's the way I feel today...actually 65 and look every year of it...I love my Cleatmarks of Life!).

The dischidia is D. geri...great grower!

;>)
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 20, 2005
8:23 PM

Post #1562891

Yes, Carol...you do look pretty darned good! Hope I look so good @ 65!

OK, now I'm confused, cuz I have a (slowly growing) cutting of what was labeled as D. geri and then i have this UN-ID'd Dischidia *plant*...and they look nothing alike! So frustrating...just like ID'ing hoyas!

Do you know, Carol, if D. geri has a bit of that powdery 'bloom'?

Carol...do people ever say 'you look a lot like_______(insert name)? You look like someone...but I can't decide who it is...seems like it's someone famous, though!

meltn
Knoxville, TN

June 20, 2005
8:43 PM

Post #1562934

I respect anyone posting their own picture. I have been dodging cameras for the last couple years. I swear an old lady jumps in my body everytime a camera is snapped.

Nan, when I first started collecting Hoyas someone sent me a D. geri in a trade. She sent it as H. cumingiana so I potted it up with a small plant by the same name. I kept these two potted together even after I realized one plant was the D. geri becasue the Dischidia hangs down while the Hoya shoots up. My point is the leaves of D. geri are similar in size to H. cumingiana.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2005
9:25 PM

Post #1563041

Let me go check my D. geri. I know the leaves are greyish...but don't recall there being a "bloom" like chalk on them...tune in on the evening news!!! ;>)

Nan, people have said I look like Carol Channing - I don't see it and I dance much better than she does!!! NOT.

Mel - I hear you. Everytime I look in the mirror I wonder what my mother is doing in my bathroom!!!

:>)
ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2005
10:09 PM

Post #1563147

The dischidia I got from Deb does have a chalky film on the leaves and really tiny flowas. Nan, Deb is a behind the scene hoya-addict:-). Carol didn't have on glasses, I do have some grey hair, and it's from trying to get all these darn hoya names correct:-).

Blessings,
Awanda
lovinfrogs
Twin Falls, ID

April 13, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #4803507

Diane says that there are good friends on this site. I found this page where these ladies went to Las Vegas together. I would love that. If anyone ever comes to Idaho, my roomate and I would like to visit too.

This is nice.

lovinfrogs

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Propagating Cuttings AlohaHoya 25 Sep 23, 2008 2:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America