Photo by Melody

Brugmansias: Are daturas hardy in zone 5?

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 9, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2001
9:27 AM

Post #7465

I had some daturas planted in the garden last year.Not sure what kind exactly ,they were large and white.Well as I patiently waited for seed pods to form ,that part of the plant would simply die.So I got no seeds from it last year.My garden is a little overgrown in some places,so I sometime don't notice things coming up.While weeding yesterday I found what appears to be that datura coming back up.Its in the same spot as last year.Is this possible?I live 30 miles north of Syracuse ,N.Y. Lake-effect country.It get to 20 below 0 at times.I know we had a record snowfall this year but is that enough to insulate a so called tropical plant? I have wintered over some things ,but this past winter even my pampas grass didn't make it.Why would a datura? crestedchic
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2001
10:54 AM

Post #88569

sounds like some seeds made it and volunteered.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 30, 2001
12:09 PM

Post #88581

Sometimes things just make it, probably doesn't mean they always will, plus daturas are short lived sometimes 2-3 years only. i had peace lilies out, 16F two nights in a row, and they came back. i had plants come back my neighbors didn't. sometimes i wonder if they pull the roots too soon or don't water any when the winters are dry.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2001
2:25 PM

Post #88615

I really don't think they were seeds,I watched it like a hawk just to get some seeds from it.Plus the way it seems to be growing there's like one main shoot and smaller suckers coming out of the bottom.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2001
3:58 PM

Post #88639

is it a datura or a brugmansia?
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2001
5:46 PM

Post #88669

Sounds to me like your datura made it through the cold. My datura that comes back from the root has the suckers that you describe. I have two pots that I bring in and others that I seed. The seed pod doesn't always form right after the bloom dies. It will take it a while to form. If you had a bloom you probable had a seed pod.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2001
1:49 AM

Post #88791

After it bloomed the whole side of the plant would just die,leaves and everything.Later it would regrow .I figured it was growing in the shade and it wasent happy.I knew I had more seed so I was not real worried. tiG ,it was a datura,in fact I had started it from seed and used up the rest of the seed packet this summer.I threw the packet away so not sure which one it is. My brugs are too precious for me to leave one out in the winter
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2001
2:02 AM

Post #88797

that's cool!!! I'll have to hope I get so lucky!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2001
2:04 AM

Post #88799

I had a datura survive the winter in my zone 5 one year. It was datura meltoides. I had it growing up close to the house and it must have likes it there. I haven't had one come back since tho. I always leave the old plant in the ground for a while just to see if they might.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2001
11:46 AM

Post #88915

Oh ,I don't plan on it happening again but is was a very nice thing to see .I think I'll plant some seedlings close to the house and see if any of them come back next year.I'd still like to get some seeds from it.This was the last batch in the packet.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America