Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Compost pile

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shirleygirly
Tyler, TX

June 17, 2005
9:42 PM

Post #1555169

I want to start a compost pile but can't remember if it matters if it's in the sun or shade. I have a better location for it in the shade. I need a few ideas of things to put on it as I can't use the Magnolia leaves and our lawn mower mulches the grass clippings. So far I've got Elm leaves, fresh veggi peelings and dryer lint. I'm still undecided about news paper shreddings.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2005
10:40 PM

Post #1555338

where is frostweed? she has great system in fast she has a web page you can go to and tells everything about the compost pile here in North TX

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2005
11:08 PM

Post #1555405

Hello Shirleygirly, Mitch is right about me having a compost pile,
I do it the easy way, what I call the cold method. Why can't you use the magnolia leaves? I had never heard that before.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Sincerely, Josephine,
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2005
11:10 PM

Post #1555411

shirleygirly, you should check out the Soil & Composting forum: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/soil/

Everyone there is very helpful (duh! This is Dave's Garden, where everyone is helpful! :-) ) I was reading a thread there earlier this week where they were talking about the fact that compost piles can be in either sun or shade. The "cooking" that happens in a compost pile comes from the decompostion that's going on (from within), not the sun or ambient temperature. Anyway, that forum would be a great place to look and post! I believe frostweed's link is there, as well.

Maggie/Mary
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2005
11:42 PM

Post #1555460

Thank Frostweed - I knew you would have the best way. I just got mine started after seeing yours and it is now smaller but growing I did not have the block to get it started like yours but it is going. Thanks Mitch
shirleygirly
Tyler, TX

June 18, 2005
4:23 AM

Post #1556360

Thank all of you for responding. Frostweed, that's a great website you have! I'm a little impatient and don't want to wait a year but I don't have everything I need either. You know the people that pray, "God give me patience and give it to me right now" well, that's me! I read somewhere that Magnolia leaves were too leathery to use for compost. Too bad, we've got a million of them.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2005
1:31 PM

Post #1556786

Magnolia leaves are extremely slow to decompose, which is why they aren't good candidates for compost. I wonder if they could be shredded and used for mulch, something like decorative bark. Cousin, how about a picture of your magnolias?

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2005
2:05 PM

Post #1556858

Shirleygirl, I think you can use your magnolia leaves just fine, just put then in a bag or container and crush them, or even better if you have a shredder, shred them, that will give you a lot more material to work with.
Also use all the old plants you pull out of your garden, and all the weeds too, they all make wonderful compost.
Get leaves from your neighbors too,and you will accumulate a lot of material before you know it.
If you want compost in a hurry, shredding your materials will speed it up tremendously,
so investing in a shredder could be a good thing.
Keeping you materials moist, but not too wet in an open bottom enclosure helps speed up the proces. I have my piles some in shade and some in the sun, and it makes no difference.
shirleygirly
Tyler, TX

June 19, 2005
2:14 PM

Post #1559448

Never thought about getting leaves from my neighbor, I could share the compost with her. What a great idea. I have a new puppy and he woke me up about 6:30. It's so nice and cool this morning. I walked back to the area where I'm going to have the compost pile and a Momma cat and two kittens have been living under the storage building! They look about two mos. old, she sure did a good job of keeping them hidden. Guess I'll be buying cat food now too!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2005
4:40 PM

Post #1559790

That is so neat! You have been adopted by a mom and her babies. If you can't keep them all, please try to find them a good home.
I hope your composting adventure leads to a lot of good things.
Have a wonderful day.
Josephine.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2005
6:19 PM

Post #1560037

frostweed - can you tell me is it alright to get everything wraped wire or do you need to have solid sides?

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2005
12:53 AM

Post #1560742

A wire enclosure is just fine, you will probably have to water it a little more, but no problem.
jameso
Longview, TX

June 22, 2005
12:46 AM

Post #1566084

If you want to start an easy compost pile and really have a pretty good size space you can go to Madisonville, Texas to the Monterray Mushroom farm. They load your pickup with a load of discarded mushroom compost for $10.00. It's supposed to be really rich. My plant's seem to be really responding. I only used about half of it on my plants and now I'm adding household discards to what I had left.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America