Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Dahlia 'Fascination'

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 9, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
2:24 AM

Post #1558175

Dahlia 'Fascination'
Dahlia
Hybridized by Elsdon, 1964

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/104442/

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2006
6:46 PM

Post #2053901

Gorgeous picture! I love the dark foliage!
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2006
9:30 PM

Post #2054290

I fell in love with dahlias over the winter.
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2006
9:48 PM

Post #2054315

That's simply fantastic! What a brilliant color combination in one plant! I'll be looking out for this one.
aguy1947
Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2006
2:11 AM

Post #2054800

There are several discussion groups cf dahlias in yahoogroups. I am a dahlia nut, so I joined all, incl the latest cf breeding. Dark foliage on plants has become very popular. In dahlias, I recall seeing the Bishop of Llandaaf years ago - scarlet with dark foliage. I favour the fully double kinds for exhibition, typically 4-5 ft tall. Border dahlias are, by definition, about 2 ft tall, but do not offer many varieties. In hot areas, shade cloth/parasols are used... even if it seems ridiculous in my area (very windy). In shrubbery, the Ninebark 'Diablo' has that dark foliage... There are various mail order sites/houses for dahlias, as well as chapters of the American Dahlia Society all over North America. The mass market packages of dahlias need checking for 'eyes' - trim off broken/rotted bits - all you need is a viable eye for a plant; also, the plant is not always what was in the picture. For more general dahlia info, D mail me.
Bill in Newfoundland, Canada zone 5a
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2006
10:30 PM

Post #2056647

That is hands down the prettiest of the dark foliaged dahlias I have seen!! Stunning against the pink/lavendar flowers...very nice!!
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
12:07 AM

Post #2056855

Thanks for the info Bill. I've also got my sights set on 'Mom's Special,' and 'Lady Darlene.' I go here http://www.dahlia.org/ sometimes and read up on the latest dahlia news. I plan on ordering from van Bourgondien's Dutch Bulbs and Perennials.

I've got the name of this beautiful yellow one somewhere...

Thumbnail by tcfromky

aguy1947
Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
12:53 AM

Post #2056964

I have been growing dahlias since I was 12. I am now... a lot older... and definitely picky. I favour fully double exhibition quality dahlias. I like the Balls/Miniature Balls, many Semi-cactus, many formal decorative, only a few informal decorative... and some splashy giants as long as they ALL have depth. Historically, many decoratives were flat, hence the (insulting) name dinnerplate. I realize that most gardeners do not demand much of their dahlias but I do. I prefer a quality bloom to quantity. Occasionally one gets both. I do like the dark foliage, but haven't had any in some time. I plan on ordering 'something'... probably from Ferncliff Gardens (B.C.) as well as from friends in Nova Scotia. Keep your eyes open for an opportunity to see the garden of someone who fancies dahlias. For colours, when arranging, I prefer the pink/white/purple combos... and use the other red/yellow/orange together. I have done yellow/white/purple... but not much lately. Excellent link you provided. I am a member of ADS and NovaScotiaDS. Attached arrangement had 2 companions in red/yellow/orange (baskets) - this one is 5 ft wide. Friend took pic which I reduced for web jazz.
Bill in SE Newfoundland Canada

Thumbnail by aguy1947

jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2006
4:08 PM

Post #2058268

Oh my word -- that is a truly gorgeous arrangment!! I just want to go out and grow more Dahlias so I can work with them in arrangments...WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing that with us!!
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2006
2:34 AM

Post #2059601

You're a dahlia guru then eh Bill? ;~)

There ain't nothin wrong with that. This newbie dahlia dude will have a go to guy when he has a question.

And I reiterate what Jamie says; you're arrangement is gorgeous.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America