Photo by Melody

Xeriscape Gardening: Where do you get them at?

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 25, Views: 272
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2005
3:25 AM

Post #1558868

I love these plants - but here is the kicker I want to find a good mail order place to buy them from - any tips would be great! I would really love a good tip on where to get Mesquite trees (did I spell that right?) and some of the better agaves... Thanks Mitch
Judy81350
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2005
4:02 AM

Post #1558931

I've not been able to find mesquite trees online. I usually buy mine at Wal-mart or Home Depot. They have a nice selection.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2005
3:53 PM

Post #1559656

Maybe I am to far into the heart of Texas but I have not seen any yet - guess I got to keep looking. Thanks
Judy81350
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2005
5:06 PM

Post #1559869

I have the Chilean Mesquites, but so far haven't gotten any seeds from them yet. They are newly planted last spring. If I get some seeds from them I would be happy to send you some. Don't know how long it would to grow them though.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2005
5:47 PM

Post #1559954

Thank you - trying to do this in North Texas is getting realy hard.. maybe I dont know where to go yet...
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2005
6:12 PM

Post #1560021

Here are a few sources I found on the Net:

http://www.cattlenet.com/DRNP/mequite.htm - will have seeds in the fall
http://www.forestfarm.com/ - had Mesquite for sale; email for current availability
http://www.aridzonetrees.com/AZT%20Interactive%20Buttons/Production.htm - has several Mesquites; is a wholesale tree nursery that sells to landscape industry - email for a local source from them

Also, I would suggest that a couple of your good local nurseries would be willing to special order a Mesquite (Prosopis sp.) for you. Remember: You don't get what you don't ask for!!

Hope this helps.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2005
6:16 PM

Post #1560030

LOL - I know I know I need to get down there ae start buging a few of them... thanks on the links I will check them out crossing fingers..
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2005
3:04 AM

Post #1680494

75154, where is Red Oak? Is it really North Texas? I ask that because everybody I've talked to says mesquites never get to be trees up there. They take drought fairly well once established, but they need a good amount of water if they're going to get to be any size.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2005
11:05 PM

Post #1682018

I am right south of Dallas, and yes I have seen them around here get on the small tree side.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2005
1:38 PM

Post #1796823

I have lived here in AZ for about 5 years now...and it took my DD 2 years to get me to call the Mesquite "trees" instead of "bushes"...I think we have 2 kinds of Mesquite in our land...I could look for seeds. They tell me mesquite takes the water from other plants planted aroung them. Jo
terracotta
Santa Barbara County, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2006
7:05 AM

Post #2005856

Mitch,

Hope you've found your mesquite by now.

As far as the agaves go, these two sources have some nice ones:

Plant Delights Nursery (http://www.plantdelights.com/)
High Country Gardens (http://www.highcountrygardens.com/)

Terri
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2006
11:38 PM

Post #2047379

I forgot to add a source for Agaves: http://www.yuccado.com/ They're located just outside of Hempstead, TX - just 200 miles from you. They have what they call "Open Days" about once a month in season. If I lived in the area I'd make a weekend trip and visit them. They have a lot of great xeriscape plants.

DanaDW
Pahrump, NV
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2006
7:09 PM

Post #2051632

Since mesquite trees spread like weeds here just wait a few months and I'll send you all the seed you could ever want. I have to dig out tons of seedlings all the time or I'd have a 3 acre thicket of nothing but mesquite.

I do love them but I don't need 10,000 of them.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2006
11:39 PM

Post #2052315

Wonderful Dana! I will be ready for the little buggers.
emunson
Santa Fe, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2006
8:27 PM

Post #2276010

I also recommend High Country Gardens as a source of xeric plants (see Terracotta, above). I don't think they have mesquite trees, but they do have many many other excellent xeric trees, shrubs, and perennials. I live in Santa Fe, where they are located, so I buy at the store rather than from the catalog, but all the plants I have bought there have been healthy and vigorous. Also, the staff are very knowledgeable. A great resource!
tobydmv
Lake Dallas, TX

July 20, 2006
4:34 AM

Post #2525873

Mitch, if your still looking, there is a place in Dallas that sells them. Its called North Haven Gardens and they have a thornless variety. I'm not sure why everyone is calling them shrubs though. All the mesquites I see in Dallas are trees, not as tall as the oaks but a lot bigger than the Red Buds. I think they get a lot more vertical the more you water them.
hag49
China Spring, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2006
11:38 AM

Post #2526238

Mitch, if you want to have a free one, you can come down here (about an hr. from you) this fall and dig some babies up. They have really deep tap roots, so I wouldn't advise moving a large one. But, you can have all the free ones you are willing to dig up. I'm south of Lake Whitney but 15 mi.north of Waco. We have tons of cedars and mesquites.
hilary
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2006
9:45 PM

Post #2528190

I am sneezing just reading this thread! *giggle I am so allergic to mesquites
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2006
10:30 PM

Post #2528397

I love them... and with the heat I just know the better thing to get will be get the plants the love it!
indirt
Hico, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2006
7:53 AM

Post #2545411

I thought I would like to plant screwbean mesquite as an ornamental until I found we had a pasture full of honey mesquite. The dozer dug up a 3' tall mesquite shrub w/ calipers less than an inch and the tap root was a cylinder of about 5" dia. and about 8" long - it was broken off at the bottom.

Screwbean is native to TX zone 7 - west TX, despite what this place says: http://www.aridzonetrees.com/AZT%20Interactive%20Buttons/Tree%20Index/Cut%20sheets/Prosopis/Prosopis%20pubescens.htm

People talk about getting rid of mesquite around here like people there might talk about getting rid of fire ants. One of the most pop. ways is to soak the trunk (after chopping down) w/ diesel, wait a few days and soak it again, then wait a few more days and soak it again, then burn out the root. This method is difficult w/ a burn ban.
Why did you want a mesquite tree?
It is possible that you could grow a hawthorn - there are some natives to TX. They are butterfly host plants and bird trees for fruit and nesting. Also, Wafer Ash or Ptelea trifoliata - have one - very pretty - hosts 3 of TX larger swallowtails and is native to your area of TX - is nectar plant to many. Kidneywood is also native to your area and is a nectar source for btfl - open, airy foliage - can be trimmed to sm tree.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2006
2:08 PM

Post #2545965

I love the way a mesquite looks, and the feeling of back home on the farm.. ... not to mention once it gets bigger you can harvest branches for smoking like my grandfather used to do. They are a great Texas native that I have grown up seeing and would love to have here to remind me of those days.
indirt
Hico, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2006
8:07 PM

Post #2547232

Ah, that I can understand.
You can have any of mine - we are going to pop 'em out anyway. But it sounds like you can get them quicker from hag49 or N. Haven Gardens.
Nothin' like a mesquite smoked dinner.

MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2006
2:56 AM

Post #2548698

I am telling you - I love them... and I have the time to keep them in shape!
indirt
Hico, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2006
4:29 AM

Post #2549176

I wouldn't have anything against them except they suck up all water out of the field leaving other plants suffering. There are a few we plan on keeping for the same reason you have - future BBQ wood.
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5303488

Funny. I was doing a search to find out how to get rid of them. I did not do a garden this year and they are so thick in my 1/4 acre garden area and already full of pods.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5367417

Hello, Mitch and all...

Mesquite - Prosopis pubescens can be obtained by seed at J.L. Hudson, seedsman. http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net. Though it looks like you already have a handful of resources.

Also Plants of the Southwest - http://www.plantsofthesouthwest.com has three yuccas and a comprehensive selection of plants that do well in the southwest. They are located in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

And some else has already mentioned Plant Delights for yuccas as well. they are a fine nursery.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2008 3:01 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM
Albuquerque project naturepatch 27 Oct 26, 2007 4:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America