The San Antonio Nursery Date in pictures

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

We had a great time, now here are the pics! Anybody else who has pics, just add them on. (Give me a little time, I have 32 to post!)

1 – It all started at Milberger’s Nursery.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

2 – From left to right, Kip (kipper2)drove Amelia (his friend, and soon-to-be new DG member!), Veronica (bettydee) and me (Maggiemoo, behind the camera), and we got there a little before everyone else. Notice Kip planned ahead – he brought empty boxes to carry our purchases!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

3 – LOTS of pots! And these are just the ones you see before you even go in!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

4 – Hazel (htop)!! It’s always good to see this Uber. She’s not just an Uber gardener, but an Uber lady as well! (Kip looks on, wistfully)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

5 – Kip and Hazel.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

6 – We were so honored to meet Dave. Yes, The Dave! What a nice guy. Thanks again for the gift of Dave’s Garden, it is such a source of encouragement, an exchange of knowledge, and I have made some very good friends here!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

7 – Dave and Kip. I could have sworn I got a picture of George (jorje) and his sweet daughter, but it’s nowhere to be found. Does anyone else have a pic?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

8 – Donna (dstartz). She’s determined that I won’t get a picture with her mouth wide open. Her DIL handpainted the DG logo on her t-shirt!!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

9 – Amelia and Veronica, apparently considering the merits of a plant.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

10 – Acalpha Wilkesiana, “Copperleaf”

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

11 – Pride of Barbados flowers.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

12 – Pride of Barbados plant. Trois sent me some seeds last week, I’m eager to see it grow!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

13 – Hazel, Dave, Donna & Veronica, shooting the breeze.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

14 – Donna, still tight-lipped (darn the bad luck!) ;-) (What’s she winking at?)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

15 – Susie (calalily) caught up with us, it took a little longer to drive all the way from Bayview (!!!) than they thought. Man, that was a long drive for you, but I’m so glad you made it. It was so great to meet you and your family! (Everyone, look at her vintage Dave’s Garden t-shirt! Only a handful are know to exist!)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

16 – Phanicks Plox. Fragrant, and the stems are strong enough to stay upright. A beautiful plant, and it re-seeds.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

17 – A rather poor picture of a dwarf Pomegranate. The blooms are so pretty, and Veronica says the fruit is out in time for Christmas, almost looks like Cristmas ornaments. I bet this would make a nice container plant!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

18 – Wow! Look at the size of this flower! Veronica, do you remember what it is? I took a picture of the tag, but it’s too blurry to read.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

19 – We stopped for lunch at a nearby Mexican restaurant (forgot to get the name) before heading on to the next nursery. Dave had gone home, and he and Trish caught up with us there.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

20- I wasn’t try to act like paparazzi, but how often do we get a chance to take pics of Dave & Trish? Hey Trish, where’s your Dave’s Garden t-shirt? :-)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

21 – After lunch we made a hilarious trip (it’s along story) to Rainbow Garden nursery on Bandera. I didn’t get a pic of the sign, but I was surprised to see that there are yellow Rock Roses! Has anyone else ever heard of them?

This message was edited Jun 19, 2005 6:12 PM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

22- Oh my, this coral bean is fantastic in person!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

23 – Huge hibiscus! Donna poses with her cold Starbucks drink.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

24 – Kip, in one his rare serious moments. He and Amelia were smart. They stayed in the shade as much as possible, and walked through sprinklers or under misters whenever they could.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

25 – Susie and her daughter (I can’t remember her name, sorry!), and her daughter’s friend looking on.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

COOL photos, maggiemoo!!! Great to actually "see" some of you! =) And, wow, Dave's, like, 12!! ;-)

Nice to see everyone, thanks for taking & posting pics for the rest of us!!

MKJ/Kathleen

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

26 – Evey time I clicked off a pic, Susie had just turned her head! Susie’s daughter and friend, mugging for the camera.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

27- Rainbow Garden has a huge place in the back where they are in the middle of building some serious theme gardens – butterfly, fragrance, water, etc. This is a nursery I want to go back to again and again, and as these new gardens are completed, it will be even more fun!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

28 – Passiflora

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

29 – Hmmm… Kip found a new species of “Passi”….fier?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for sharing the photos, Maggie. You did a great job. We can look back at them with fond memories. The yellow rock rose is Pavonia (Pavonia spinifex). Or it could be Pavonia praemorsa if it changes color from yellow to apricot to an orangish red by the end of the day.

The one with the "huge bloom" is princess flower which is a Tibouchina, but I don't know which one it is. Did I give someone a small princess flower? ... the heat has muddled my brain.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2005 5:55 PM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

30 – I meant to take pictures of all these signs, but this all I got. Rainbow Gardens is a fun place, and they know Hazel well. They were very friendly and helpful, no doubt due to our Dave’s Garden t-shirts, which identified us as friends of Hazel’s!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

31 – It was finally time to go. I never did get a pitcure of Donna with her mouth wide open, but at least I got this glam shot of Kip loading up the van! Woohoo! Look at those legs! ;-)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

32 – Amelia is thinking the same thing we all are, “Where am I going to put all of this?” But like the true gardeners we are, we’ll all find someplace for our finds!

Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

Maggie was threatened with pictures from my stash of yesterday if one of me with open mouth appeared. I see my poker bluff worked ;->

Thanks, Maggie, for all the great pictures and the even better time you made yesterday!

Folks, if you ever get the chance to spend time with any of these folks do yourself a huge favor and take it!!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Hazel, yes, you gave me a small princess flower. Will it someday be a huge princess flower like that? Thanks for the cosmos, also!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL!! Kip e-mailed me earlier, Amelia called him this morning, she discovered that she has two of my plants! I just talked to her, wonder if I would ever have noticed they were missing?!

I told Amelia to be sure and post on this Forum that she's here, so we can greet her properly. She said she will probably use Amelia as her username. I'm glad she's joining, she's a really neat person!

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

htop, you gave me a princess flower also. It's doing very well, although it hasn't bloomed. My brazilian plume has bloomed though.

Maggiemoo, thanks for the pictures. I knew you would do a good job. Did you have any time to shop?

What did you guys buy?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Great pics!

Looks like you guys all had a great time.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Maggie, mine have grown very quickly and 2 blooms have just now opened. You are welcome.

Mary Lee, I am glad yours is doing well. It should start blooming any time now. Usually mine bloom during the last part of June. Did you like the blooms on the Brazilian plume? I just love them. As the plant grows larger, the blooms will increase in size. After the bloom fades, pinch it off or clip it off right at the base if you have time. It will make new blooms at the place where the old bloom was fairly quickly if you do this.

This is a closeup of the one I gave you two. Check out the other photos of it.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/50120/

This message was edited Jun 19, 2005 8:02 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.