Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Salvias and other stuff I don't know what it is from Rainbow

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 51, Views: 299
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2005
8:30 PM

Post #1565509

Here is the first salvia, this is a terrible picture. The plant in the background is Ipomoea carnea. This salvia blooms blue and needs shade, gets very tall.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2005
8:32 PM

Post #1565514

There were two plants side by side but they aren't the same. One was called some kind of leaf fern or something. It's red, there is a variety that has no leaves and bright red flowers.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2005
8:33 PM

Post #1565516

Here is the other one.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2005
11:23 PM

Post #1565912

Susie, sure wish I could help with those, but I'm clueless. I was going to ask you about that salvia I got that you got also, It was kind of a trailing type - chionophylla "Quicksilver" or something like that. Do you know if it can take full sun, needs shade, or what? I potted mine up yesterday, it's in a spot that gets sun from about noon-thirty to about five.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2005
11:42 PM

Post #1565953

I found on the internet this:Salvia chionophylla
"Quicksilver"
Groundcover
12" X 3+'
L
PS

Spreading perennial, roots at nodes. Blue

The L means low water and the PS means part sun. I think I need to move mine, it's in mostly sun.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2005
11:49 PM

Post #1565966

Hmm, if mine is in afternoon sun, that can be almost as bad as full sun...

I had no idea there were salvias that like shade until I was checking out the list of salvia cuttings drdon has available for the Southern CA RoundUp:

Salvia gesneraeflora 'Tequila'
Salvia chiapensis
Salvia leucantha
Salvia guarnitica 'Costa Rica Blue
Salvia 'Purple Majesty'

If I remember correctly (I've slept since then) only the leucantha and chiapensis were called full sun! You learn something new every day here. :-)

jameso
Longview, TX

June 22, 2005
12:55 AM

Post #1566106

I've planted the Costa Rica blue and the Purple Majesty in the sun and also in the shade and so far the one's in the sun are outgrowing the ones in the shade. If you ever see the Costa Rica Blue in bloom, it will knock you socks off. There's also another salvia that has the same color bloom as the purple majesty but it grows to a height of six feet. It's impressive also, but I'm partial to the salvias and sages.
jameso
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2005
1:30 AM

Post #1566196

jameso, do the Costa Rica blue and the Purple Majesty that you have in the shade still bloom? I'm really running out of full sun space unless I start making my pathways into beds (small yard). I may be getting some of drdon's rooted cuttings.

Do you know anything about the Quicksilver?
jameso
Longview, TX

June 22, 2005
4:12 AM

Post #1566695

maggiemoo
Yes mine are blooming in the shade although I think they will be blooming more in a couple of more weeks. That other salvia similar to the purple majesty but is 6 ft tall is the purple palace. I'm not familar with the quicksilver but there is a web site on the east coast that specializes in salvias and they have a photo of each one they have. I can look up the site if you like.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2005
5:17 AM

Post #1566780

Going to Rainbow in the AM and will try to ID your plants for you ... no guarantees, though. I will do my best.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2005
5:34 AM

Post #1566788

Josephine gave me a cutting of a large salvia that she said needs shade also, which I thought was odd. She said it was "Salvia Guaranitica". You should hear her say it, too cute. Could that be yours?
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2005
5:53 AM

Post #1566797

Susie, I am going to Rainbow in the AM and will try to ID your plants for you ... no guarantees, though. I will do my best. I amgoing to print out your photos to take with me.

#1 Does Mexican Sage 'Port de Zorro' (Salvia mexicana) ring a bell? The leaves kinda look like those on mine. The veins are very distinctive. It is a huge plant now. See if the container has the word "Zorro" written in white on it. I don't think it is Salvia guaranitica because I don't think the leaves are not shaped the same as mine. Mine are more elongated than the ones in your photo, but maybe it is just the angle at which the photo was taken. 'Port de Zorro' has a 'fatter' leaf shape. I could be wrong.
Are photos #2 and #3 salvias? Where they side by side at Rainbow? I am confused about the fern and one with no leaves but red blooms ...

Maggiemoo, these are my shade loving salvias ... I love them all.
the Blue Anise Sage, Brazilian Sage 'Black and Blue' (Salvia guaranitica) Did you get one at the CTRU? I brought some rooting runners back from the CTRU since no one wanted them and I think I gave some to Dave and/or Jorge. I believe I have one left.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54031/index.html
the Cedar Sage, Roemer's Sage (Salvia roemeriana)http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1918/index.html
the Eyelash-Leaved Sage (Salvia blepharophylla)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1920/index.html
Meadow Sage (Salvia chiapensis) - very small leaves, growth habit and blooms. The blooms are very similar (but about half the size) to the Scutellaria (magenta blooms) you and Veronica bought at Milberger's. Neither of these can withstand full sun.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60118/index.html

This message was edited Jun 22, 2005 1:29 AM
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2005
12:36 PM

Post #1567090

Hazel, I have the chiapensis, but none of the others. I haven't been impressed with the chiapensis, but maybe it's in too much sun? (I was thinking it was in too much shade, but maybe it just needed time to get established, it's looking better this year.) I probably didn't even consider a salvia at the RU, because I thought all salvias had to have full sun. This is really mind-blowing to me, to see all these salvias that work in part shade!

If you still have Blue Anise cutting available, I'd love to pick it up at the Nov RU!
jameso
Longview, TX

June 22, 2005
2:03 PM

Post #1567284

What and where is the Rainbo
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2005
2:34 PM

Post #1567367

Yes!! The tall one is Port de Zoro! I knew if I heard the name I'd remember!! I liked the name and loved the leaves, they are distinctive!
I have a salvia called guaranitica, but it's not the regular blue. It resembles Patens and likes shade. The flowers are larger than the regular guaranitica blue. I have Salvia g. Black and Blue, it's gorgeous. I have the Purple Majesty I bought at Rainbow and I'm trying not to kill a guaranitica blue I bought from Ebay. I have Tequilla and didn't know it needed shade. I guess I need to post my list. I had a lot more salvias in TN, but moving to a new climate plus the move it'self was too much and I lost a lot of them.
I have Eyelash, lost Chiapensis(didn't know it liked shade) and have Cedar Sage and it's in part shade.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2005
2:51 PM

Post #1567429

jameso, there are two Rainbow Gardens nurseries in San Antonio. We visited the one on Bandera this last Saturday (6/18) as part of our San Antonio Nursery Date. Hazel (htop) practically lives there, they just love her! We had such a good time!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/522178/
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2005
5:39 PM

Post #1567903

Cala... I heard that you love Salvias. I have a new one that I need to ID. I posted it in the ID forum, but wanted to see if anyone else here has seen the same one and knows the name!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/523075/
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2005
5:50 PM

Post #1567940

Wow, is that a salvia?! Boy, I am learning a lot here - salvias that like shade, salvias with leaves that are roundish & scallopped, and now...
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2005
6:32 PM

Post #1568040

Maggie, the chiapensis does well in part shade or filtered shade.

TXMel, that is a most beautiful plant. It may be this one (Salvia lyrata, 'Purple Volcano'):
http://www.veseys.com/store.cfm?product=2778&referer_cat=897&largeimage=1&CFID=7140769&CFTOKEN=52494422

Susie, I haven't been able to get to Rainbow Gardens yet today. Did the salvia that you bought that had a "fruity" name have blue or red blooms?

This message was edited Jun 22, 2005 1:51 PM
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2005
6:48 PM

Post #1568093

Thanks Hazel. I don't know where I've gotten the idea that all salvias are all sun and little water! I was looking up information on Henry Deulberg and found out it likes a moist, but well-drained soil. I haven't been watering it enough!

Evey time I think I've learned something I find out I don't know anything, lol!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2005
6:50 PM

Post #1568100

Salvia Lyrata, lyre leaf sage?
http://www.em.ca/garden/salvia_lyrata_purple_knockout1.JPG
Hazel, the salvia with the fruity name has blue flowers but it wasn't blooming. It's over in the area where Kip was sitting in the shade, growing around a tree. Pyramid is around one tree and the blue one was around the other tree.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2005 1:55 PM
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2005
6:52 PM

Post #1568113

Susie, see my above post about one of your salvias ...
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2005
7:25 PM

Post #1568220

Forgot to say, photos 2 and 3 are not salvias, I can't remember what they were, no tag, nothing written on the pot, but they were right in there with the salvias and native stuff. One of them is a russelia, they called it some kind of leafless fern or something leafless. Here is a pic of russelia equisetiformis
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://almostedenplants.com/mall/wpe5C.jpg&imgrefurl=http://almostedenplants.com/mall/hummer_plants.asp&h=749&w=757&sz=116&tbnid=7Wb5I5aP7rgJ:&tbnh=138&tbnw=140&hl=en&start=17&prev=/images?q=russelia+equisetiformis&hl=en&lr=&sa=N
Edited to ask "Which question Hazel?" The fruity salvia has blue flowers. I think we were posting at the same time.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2005 2:27 PM
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2005
7:38 PM

Post #1568250

Oops, you answered my question while I was lollagagging around ... sorry.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2005 2:43 PM
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2005
10:03 PM

Post #1575728

Hi guys, I'm glad I discovered this thread. It reminded me that I need to ask Hazel what to do about my Salvia guarantica. I planted it where it gets light shade til about l0 am, then full sun for about 2-3 hours, then shade again. Is that too much sun. It's not doing well at all. Would it do better in light shade all day? Or maybe total shade?
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2005
11:58 AM

Post #1576791

Mary Lee, light shade all day is best. Mine wilted if it received any full sun. If in total shade, its bloom production is poor. Mine is under an oak tree.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2005
2:52 PM

Post #1577121

Ok, Hazel. Well, I will try to transplant it, but something has been chewing on it I think. And since it's not happy where it is it hasn't been able to grow. So it's not in very good shape. I may need another one at the Nov RU. Those hardy begonias(?) you gave me when we went to your house are finally in a pot and doing well.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2005
11:03 PM

Post #1578273

Mary Lee. I am sorry it isn't doing well. Maybe it will perk up after being transplanted. If you need another one, I'll try to root some more.

Susie, I spent a couple of hours at Rainbow Nursery trying to ID the plants for you. Karl, the gentleman with whom you spoke and let you take cuttings will not be back until Wednesday and Dan Has been on vacation also. Several people tried to assist me with the IDs.

The "Blue" fruity one that you said might be "Blue Bananas" is "Blue Chiquita" ... He, he, he ... you were close.

I think that #2 is Mountain Sage (which is what I thought when I first saw the photo)., but I am not sure. Does it look like this? I have this one and it gets to be a nice size bushy plant when it matures.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60119/index.html
But, it might be Cedar sage which likes the shade and is very low growing. I love mine. Does it look like this?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1918/index.html

I could not find anything that looks like #3 with that bloom color in the salvia area. I did find a rock penstemon; but, it was over in another area away from the main native plant section.The leaves in the photo do not quite match this plant though. Your plant's leaves look larger. Is the bloom a corally pinkish color?

No one that was there knew about anything with pyramid in the name. I'll ask Carl when he is back at work on Wednesday.

They have russelia equisetiformis which goes by the name "leafless fern". I think they had them sorta close to the gazebo.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1334/index.html

I will get back with you after Wednesday's trip over there to talk with Karl and Dan.

I hope I have helped a little.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2005 6:08 PM
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2005
1:57 AM

Post #1578613

Thank you Hazel, that's what it was Blue Chiquita! The other two are russellias. Not the equisetiformis but the other two kinds, I found them on google. I will go tag that salvia so I won't forget again!
I forgot to add: There is a salvia regla in the first picture, it's behind the russellia.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2005 9:08 PM
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2005
3:36 AM

Post #1578955

I was confused about the other 2 photos. They must have sold or moved the russelias because there were none there today. I didn't realize there were any that had nice leaves as those shown in the photos.
Is the 2nd a Russelia sarmentosa - Red Firecracker, Red Rocket, Leafy Coral Blow?
http://www.nativehabitat.com/rusellias.html
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Scrophulariaceae/Russelia_sarmentosa.html
http://almostedenplants.com/mall/Redroc18.jpg
What is the second russelia?
They look like beautiful plants.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2005 10:36 PM
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2005
9:07 AM

Post #1579222

Susie, I forgot to mention that I found several large containers of 'Blue Chiquita' for sell. They were by the gazebo. I think they were $16.99, but I'm not really sure. Just thought I would let you know in case you were going to take the kids to Sea World anytime soon and had time to get one ... kinda expensive though.

TXMel, they had a purple leaved salvia that looked similar to yours, but it had a different cultivar name (can't remeber it). It had white blooms. I almost bought it, but I have so many plants to plant right now that I was afraid it might die before I was able to plant it.

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2005
12:54 PM

Post #1579510

I saw those containers sitting there, but didn't know if they were for sale or not. I think my cuttings are going to make it, so I'll wait and see. The only salvia I can't seem to keep alive is salvia guaranitica! I bought 3 from eBay and they are hanging on. They were so pretty when I got them, but now they look pitiful. Black and Blue is going like gangbusters and I treat them exactly the same!
The second red plant is russelia saramentosa, the first red plant is resselia rotundifolia I think. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/62095/
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2005
3:30 PM

Post #1579903

I had comp[letely forgotten about Russelia rotundifolia 'San Carlos' ... duh. I would never have guessed that your plant was a relative. 'San Carlos' is a very strange looking plant. The small leaves are down low and do indeed look like round fern leaves. The stems are very bare, the bloomstalks loom way above the rest of the plant and have no leaves anywhere close to them. The blooms are bright red. There is one near the steps leading to the entry way to the San Antonio Botanical Garden (the one in the photo I took). It took me forever to ID, I just have to find out more about the one you bought.

Do you have the Salvia guaranitica in the ground or in a container?
Was the plant with "pyramid" in its name a tree?

This message was edited Jun 27, 2005 11:10 AM
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2005
4:36 PM

Post #1580093

I had the salvia guaranitica in the ground, then I dug it up and put it in a container and it died. So the next ones I got, I put in containers and they just look pitiful. I tried them in the shade, then moved them to more sun. Do you think they need more fertilize(I just gave them a teeny bit of Miracle Grow).
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2005
2:59 PM

Post #1582660

I don't know if they need some fertilizer, bbut I hope it helps. I asked the lady at Rainbow Gardens if I sould fertilize my 'Port de Zorro' because the leaves are not deep green any more and there are bloomstalks, but only one bloom has opened. She told me not to fertilize it. She said that the problem may be that I planted in potting soil that contained fertilizer that maybe it didn't like. Also it is such a huge plant, that it needs more room for its roots to grow. As soon as the roots had grown about 3 inches into the ground through the drain holes of the container, it started to green up. I need to plant it in the ground somewhere.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2005
7:08 PM

Post #1583440

I will give it a little rabbit tea, lol. It's weak, so shouldn't over do it. I don't buy potting soil with fertilize in it, I've never had good luck with it.
I have some of the salvias in 25 gallon pots, some in those big terracotta pots, the 14" ones(not real clay, but fake terracotta). I think I might be overwatering. I didn't water last night or this morning, the soil looked dry on top, but when I dug down an inch or so, it was wet.
The Port de Zoro is always dry though, it is a thirsty plant! I guess because it was rootbound in the pot. It is doing good so far.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2005
9:33 PM

Post #1601217

Everyone at Rainbnow Nursery said to tell you, "Hi." Karl said that the plant with "pyramid" in its name is Salvia 'Pyramid'. It is only about 3 years old. No species name is given. So it might be Salvia var. 'Pyramid' ... will have to do further checking. Karl is thinking about becoming a DG subscriber and has at least joined. He has read a lot of the threads about the nursery visits and thought it was great fun.

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2005
10:06 PM

Post #1601285

Is it this Salvia? http://www.sagewisdom.org/

Googled salvia pyramid and came up with the above and others. Apparently a very controversial Salvia.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2005
10:25 PM

Post #1601318

To the best of my knowledge, lol, the leaves didn't look like that. I will take a picture. The cuttings of pyramid lost some leaves, more so that blue Chiquita.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2005
11:25 PM

Post #1601409

Calalily, you may want to contact Schumacher's about this one. I can't remember if this is the one that Karl said had come from there.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2005
11:44 PM

Post #1601460

The Pyramid salvia came from Schumachers?
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2005
11:58 PM

Post #1601485

Suzy, I'm going to Schumachers the day after the Austin Nursery Date (7/17), do you want me to look up a salvia or two for you? Jameso (from Longview) said he was there a while ago and they have lots of different salvias in 4" pots, $1.50 ea.

Hazel, that's really neat about Karl! When Veronica and I were talking to him he said he'd have to look at the site. (I know he just had to see what all the crazed people were talking about!) Do you know what his username is?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2005
12:14 AM

Post #1601516

Oh I love salvias. I wish I had a trip to SA scheduled before September!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2005
12:41 PM

Post #1602419

Susie, Karl, Dan and I had plenty of time to talk because they didn't have many customers due to the heat. We discussed so many things that I am not sure if the 'Pyramid' salvia came from there or one of its suppliers or if the pyramid plant that I am waiting for came from one of the suppliers that Schumachers buys from too. I just remember that Karl or Dan said that they would check with Schumachers about one of them. I'm pretty sure it was about the species name for your plant. Maybe I should take a tape recorder along with me from now on. :o)

Maggie, Karl is a member but has had not become a subscriber yet. I forgot to ask him hismember name. He had read the thread about the San Antonio nursery visit and how we were deciding on which nurseries to visit. He seemed to have fun reading it. He said that he wanted to send an email and found that he couldn't unless he became a subscriber. So, I was telling him about all of the great forums here too. I told him that $15 isn't much. I also told him he could really help in the ID forum and others because of his vast knowledge. Sooo, if he is reading this ... Karl, I'm going to keep trying to get you to become a subscriber.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2005
8:12 PM

Post #1603688

Good work Hazel!! I know what you mean about wanting to take a recorder with you. I take my camera and always take pictures of the plant signs - what exposure, water, when they bloom, etc. I still need to take a video or something though, because the people are always telling me things that are not on those signs, and I can't remember when I get back home! I call sometimes and just ask a question. They say, "Oh, is this Mary?"

How does the Cheers song go? "Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name." I always feel at home at my favorite "plant bar", The Arbor Gate in Tomball.

:-)

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2005
10:33 PM

Post #1604041

Maggiemoo, I'm going to make a list of the salvias I have and if you find something I don't have(like cacaliifolia) I would love to have one. Do you have paypal?
I found a place in California that has a great list of salvias but they don't ship again till Sept(which is good, it's hot here!)
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2005
11:26 PM

Post #1604138

Susie, you have d-mail.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2005
12:46 AM

Post #1604337

Thanks for reminding me Maggie, I have to start a list and put camera at the top of it. Second is hat and then water.

maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2005
3:11 AM

Post #1604707

Amen to the hat and water! I might take a mister, too! Donna made all the women (and I think one for Kip) a deal that you tie around your neck, it's filled with those water absorbant beads, and it helps to keep you cool. Whenever it gets warm, you just rotate it. They are wonderful!

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2005
1:55 PM

Post #1605409

More info on how to make a mister, please. :-)
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2005
8:16 PM

Post #1611231

I do have one of those things you wrap around your neck. I just always forget to use it.
majik1d
Bagdad, KY

September 21, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5579949

can any of the salvias actually be perennial in Zone 6-Louisville Ky area?
I'm seeing Zone 6 on Garden Crossings & zone 7 on Lasy S's for the same plant "Salvia Greggii. I'm really wanting to add more blue to my gardens & love the salvias.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America