Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Clematis: Vine fence

Communities > Forums > Clematis
bookmark
Forum: ClematisReplies: 48, Views: 858
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2001
12:34 AM

Post #7513

O.K. It might seem weird but,I'm thinking about raising posts along the fence line and making a wire mesh trellace like structure about 8' high and growing vines as a privacy fence. Has anyone done this or have any ideas on what to use? ( Wire mesh and thick , blanketing vines that won't kudzu all over the place)
Thanks!
Barry
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2001
2:11 AM

Post #88804

Wire screens are a great idea for climbing plants that have tendrils, I'm not sure about the 'suckering pad' plants though such as Euonymous but they do make a lovely evergreen screen. Then there is pyracantha which you could espalier and has the added bonuses of being evergreen, flowers in the spring and then berries in fall/winter. You could then use the pyracantha as host to a clematis maybe.

Just realized which state you were from. How about Ceanothus, Fremontodendron, Solanum - all could be trained along the fence.

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 30th 10:14 PM
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2001
3:24 AM

Post #88832

Thanks, Louisa,
I'll do a websearch to find out more about those plants.(I'm the not so well read plant lover)I'm kinda thinking about something like goat wire so that the vines can get a good covering on all sides. Idealy, I won't be able to see any of the support structure when it's done.
I already have Passion Flowers and old growth Honeysuckle that pretty much cover my 4' chain link. I don't know how high they will go , if given the oportunity.
Amari
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2001
5:17 AM

Post #88856

If you have the native Texas honeysuckle then it will scale eight feet easily. My mom's native honeysuckle never went on a rampage like the Japanese version does and provided us with a nice "privacy" fence without taking over the yard.
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2001
8:33 AM

Post #88892

Hi Amari,
When we bought this house three years ago, the Honeysuckle was about three feet thick on all the chain link fence and I spent a lot of time killing it off , since it's everywhere in Texas and I was tired of seeing it. Luckily, it proved more tenacious than I thought and has regained it's former glory just in time for me to begin to appreciate it. If it will grow to the hights you say I'm probably just going to help it along some. I planted several offspring of a friends Purple Passion Flower that I really like in the hopes that it would overtake the Honeysuckle but they seem to co-exist pretty well. I would like some Wisteria and some kind of evergreen too if that will work.
Thanks!
Barry
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2001
11:37 AM

Post #88912

Clematis Armandii is evergreen and vigorous!
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2001
1:56 PM

Post #88972

Thanks Louisa!
I websearched Clematis Armandii and it looks great. Climbs to 20' and flowers!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2001
7:28 PM

Post #89092

You are most welcome - are you going to plant the Armandii then?
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2001
9:45 PM

Post #89141

Hi Louisa
Probably. I've been checking prices on the web and they vary a lot. (From $6 to $20 per gallon container) I still need to figure out the logistics of the structure . I don't want it to sag dramatically from the weight of the plants but I also don't want it to look too square and unnatural.It's going to be three walls about 50' across the back and perhaps 40' on each of the sides.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2001
2:04 AM

Post #89236

You can always soften the lines of the 'square' look by planting in front, sides and back of the structure and don't forget to incorporate another climber to break the monotony - a climbing rose maybe!
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2001
5:14 AM

Post #89279

Thanks!
I was thinking of using the Honeysuckle for the most part, since it's already got such a strong foothold and the Passionflower I've started and the Clematis Armandii and perhaps add some others. I'm not familiar with climbing rose but it sounds intriguing. I'll check it out.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2001
9:00 AM

Post #89291

Another quick growing plant that can be trained along like you mention is the potato vine in white or purple flowers. I'll try to get a picture of a "fence" sown the road from me that they made of posts, wire and potato vine. It looks like a fence of lace!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2001
11:16 AM

Post #89298

Zanymuse - I have hunted high and low for the potato vine - Solanum (Glasnevin). Does it grow readily from seed or would it be best to layer it? I'm hinting here of course and wondered if perhaps we could do an exchange. I'm zone 7 and I would think on the borderline of hardiness for this vine. I grew it back home (England) and just loved it - so vigorous - so beautiful. In no time at all it had the appearance of a tree with it's thick branches. By the way Barrykooda, have you thought of the Akebia quinnata (evergreen in your area) with tiny flowers smelling like chocolate and vigorous - a gorgeous climber!
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2001
1:48 PM

Post #89356

Cool!
I'll check it out!
Thanks, Zanymuse!

I'm still looking.(Solanum jasminoides )It looks like they come in blue or white flowering varieties but the seeds for sale I can find are in Australia.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 2nd 10:00 AM
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2001
1:50 PM

Post #89358

Hi Louisa,
I'm open to anything!
I'll check it out.
Dizzy45
Mishawaka, IN
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2001
8:46 PM

Post #91278

BarryKooda,
I have 16 rows of Vine Fencing
I used regular field fence
5 feet high, I used metal stakes
7 feet high the rows are 40 feet long.

I have 3 water tower sprinklers to
cover the area for watering..

Carol
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2001
1:58 AM

Post #91371

What types of vine are you growing, Carol?
nicole_in_nc
Wilmington, NC

July 7, 2001
9:18 PM

Post #91663

Louisa, do you have any suggestions for starting akebia? my seeds are being finicky.

I too have "vine fencing", which holds honeysuckle, star jasmine, trumpet vine, and perennial morning glories. When they start growing into each other, I cut them back and start new ones down the fence. But its all chain link, around the entire perimeter of my backyard. Ive got a ways to go!! Had wisteria there, but I had to move it... it was way too strong and invasive for that fencing!

I have something called sweet cinnamon vine... seeds look like miniature potatoes!? Received in trade... this will be adventuresome!Cant wait to see what it produces!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2001
11:25 PM

Post #91681

nicole I'm not so sure about growing the Akebia from seed. Here is a link that I find absolutely wonderful and I think that barrykooda will also find it invaluable.

http://www.canr.uconn.edu/plsci/mbrand/a/akequi/akequi1.html
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2001
2:13 AM

Post #91735

Hey Louisa,
That looks COOL!
I'm in zone 8, though. Think it will go? They say it's good from 4 to 6.
Thanks!
Barry
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2001
2:32 AM

Post #91755

Why not give it a try. Maybe someone will send you a cutting or a rooted piece. Why not post for it?
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2001
5:32 AM

Post #91825

O.K. ...
You don't they'll yell at me?
I hear the low zone people can get pretty mean if you cook their plants in the Texas sun!
Barry
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2001
8:19 AM

Post #91850

Louisa I have not been able to find the seeds on the potato vine but will try a cutting and see if I can get it to root for you. {I have the white flowering one)
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2001
10:27 PM

Post #92057

Zany that would make my day. Thank you very much. Have you tried the layering method - takes a bit longer but never fails.

PS I have a porcelain vine (still need to look up the Latin) - it's in it's pot still as are most of my plants but if you would like me to do a rooted layer for you I will. Barry - they won't get upset - trust me :-)

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 8th 6:31 PM
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2001
10:32 PM

Post #92060

Barrykooda,

I have one complete fence line covered with Hyacinth Bean Vine...it's wonderful and the smell is devine!

Jerrie
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2001
8:36 AM

Post #92199

Thanks, Jerrie!
Got any photos of it?
Barry
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2001
12:20 PM

Post #92220

eyes - isn't the bean vine an annual?
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2001
4:22 AM

Post #93030

Louisa I would love a start of the porcilain vine! I have started a cutting and am airlayering another spot on the potato vine so we should get a start for you one way or another!
nicole_in_nc
Wilmington, NC

July 11, 2001
5:17 PM

Post #93150

Just wanted to let ya'all know... on the co-op forum someones collecting orders from D&G... and they have sweet potato vine (black, tricolor, etc.) for $1.10 each!
(If my memory hasnt failed me, their 1 gal containers ??)

louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2001
9:34 PM

Post #93243

Sweet potato vine surely is not the same as the perennial Solanum crispum. This is the one I'm seeking :-
http://www.plantit.freeuk.com/Pics/pic24.htm

Zany - mail me (I'm sure to forget :-)

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 11th 5:35 PM
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2001
7:07 AM

Post #93867

Louisa the vine I have is the Solanum jasminoides. I have the white flowering version.
barrykooda, I would be happy to start one for you if you would like?

p.s. I promise not to even blink an eye if it fries in your climate!

This message was edited Friday, Jul 13th 3:09 AM

This message was edited Friday, Jul 13th 3:16 AM
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2001
1:39 PM

Post #93937

Thanks, Zanymuse!
That would be great!
It's only been about ten days since I added the extra 3' of poultry wire to grow my vines on and the Honeysuckle have already sent runners up a couple feet in some places.
Would the jasminoides be able to compete or should I reserve them a place?
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2001
5:10 PM

Post #94035

It might compete but I am not sure! Honeysuckle usually wins out!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2001
7:29 PM

Post #94095

Thanks Zany - got your email. jasminoides is white but that is OK with me. Maybe I can still search for the blue. Will be in touch :-)
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2001
8:05 PM

Post #94113

I'll keep my eyes open here for the blue as well! I know it has to be available somewhere locally!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2001
11:26 PM

Post #94190

Thanks again. Will be opening new thread on Trees and Shrubs - regarding Choisya Ternata. Needed to ask you something about this.
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2001
2:34 PM

Post #94376

Yes, Louisa, Hyacinth Bean Vine is considered an annual, but here in North Texas it reseeds itself. My neighbor calls it volunteers. It is very easy to start and it grows so fast. The seed is extremely easy to collect. I love it because of it's fast coverage...no years of waiting.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2001
10:47 PM

Post #94498

Thanks eyes and you are lucky to have the bean sprout up each year :-)
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2001
10:59 PM

Post #94503

Zany, Will you please start me one also. Thanks Jim
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
1:31 AM

Post #94532

Jim what success story can you throw my way re red clay soil - I have the same. Sorry about change of thread folks :-) But we are still talking climbers - isn't that so Jim...lol!
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
2:48 AM

Post #94552

Red clay. There are more failures with the red clay than success to report. Right off hand can't think of any succss. Wait I thought of one. Have top soil hauled in. Jim
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
2:51 AM

Post #94553

Well - thanks for that encouraging thought...lol! I already brought in manure and top soil. There is a very interesting theory that I posted some time back on the soil forum.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2001
5:41 AM

Post #94598

Jim, I'll be glad to get another one started for you.

Louisa haven't you started makeing those red clay bricks yet! :}
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
8:12 PM

Post #94836

LOL Zany - give me a little time and I may go into full production!!
Bearbait
Long Beach, CA

September 21, 2001
12:41 AM

Post #131485

Hello everyone Im new to this forum.. I have also a question about vine fencing .. Ive got a 8 foot high by 150 feet long chain link fence.. was wondering if you know of a quick covering vine that will remain year around. And I wont have to wait till im old to see it cover the whole thing..lol
CoCo

September 21, 2001
1:04 AM

Post #131499

trumpet vine or honeysuckle,morning glory,also snail vine

This message was edited Friday, Sep 21st 6:43 AM
Bearbait
Long Beach, CA

September 23, 2001
7:26 PM

Post #133073

Thank you Ill give them a shot but I heard that morning glorie dies off in the winter?
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2001
2:29 AM

Post #133232

The vigorous evergreen clematis 'Armandii', or pyracantha (not a vine, but looks great on a fence).
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #7024887

Bump.

I'd love to know if this worked out but since he's no longer a subscriber I guess we'll never know. I'm considering doing something similar along the rear property line.

If anyone else has tried it I'd love to see photos. Thanks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM
Odd Clematis plantzoo 17 Jun 28, 2007 9:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America