Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: San Antonio Nursery or Gardens open Sunday afternoon

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 1
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2005
7:18 PM

Post #1573410

I will be in San Antonio this Sunday through Tuesday for a Conference at the Convention Center. Sunday afternoon, after 2 or 3, is the only time I will be able to get away though. Does anyone have any recommendations for something near downtown that will be open.
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2005
8:22 PM

Post #1573544

Japanese Tea Gardens are open. It's free.
3800 North St. Mary's Street (next to the zoo)

San Antonio Botanical Gardens are open (not free)
555 Funston @ North New Braunfels Avenue

The zoo is open too and they have a great selection of plants. A cactus garden, lots of tropicals.

jorge
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2005
4:11 AM

Post #1574455

Thanks Jorge! I might just have to check those out. That makes me feel a little better about having to fly out on Sunday and work.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2005
12:40 PM

Post #1574755

Be sure to visit the River Walk if you have time. My brother took my 93 year old Mother for a stroll in her wheelchair the other day after her doctor's visit. She phoned me and told me how beautiful all of the plants looked. There is a Calloway's Nursery at 3700 Broadway St. which is not far from the San Antonio Botanical Garden and Brackenridge Park. It is small and does not a great selection of plants though; however, sometimes they do get in some interesting plants. Here's a map showiing where Calloway's is and the San Antonio Botanical Garden is at Funston Place and N. New Braunfels. The entry to the Botanical Gardens is on Funston Place. If I had to choose where to visit, I would go to the Botanical Garden.
http://www.google.com/maps?q=calloway's%20nursery&ll=29.460074,-98.467350&spn=0.090247,0.181961&near=San%20Antonio,%20TX&hl=en
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2005
2:00 PM

Post #1574922

I agree with that choice. Very special place. (I get in free with my American Horticultural Society membership, but the fee as I recall is not excessive.) Hazel, next time you're in the general vicinity, stop in at Shades of Green, 334 W. Sunset. Small, but interesting.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2005
2:18 PM

Post #1574951

Sweezel, here is a link to the San Antonio Botanical Garden. Admission is $6.00. Note that it closes at 5PM.

http://www.sabot.org/visitorinfo/visitor.html

I love the Conservatory and could spend all day just visiting the plants there.
http://www.sabot.org/garden/conservatory/conserv.htm

I wish I could meet with you somewhere while you are in town. But, I wouldn't be able to do so on Sunday.

Yuska, I have never been to that nursery and will have to go by there. Thanks for telling me about it. I live in the Great Nortwest off Culebra. You live very close by. Maybe we can get together sometime. I would sure like to meet you in person.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2005 9:24 AM
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2005
2:35 PM

Post #1574987

Thanks for the links Hazel. I have done the riverwalk a few times, but it's been many years and before I was a gardener and I had other people with me. Maybe by myself I can stop and check out the flora. I think I might go to the Botanical Gardens until 5 and then go do the Riverwalk and have dinner over there. Anyone want to tell me which of the many restaurants they enjoy the most?
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2005
2:40 PM

Post #1574997

Oh, I just re-read Yuska's post and was just thinking. I might get in free to the Garden's too. I know that being a member of the Dallas Arboretum gets me into other Gardens outside of the metroplex too. I will have to dig out the info. Thanks for mentioning that. LOL
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2005
2:52 PM

Post #1575016

Good point. There are reciprocal benefits to such memberships. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and many, many places will honor other memberships and often there are discounts in the gift shops, too.
jorge
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2005
5:24 PM

Post #1575288

Chaps at the hyatt is great. They have a guy cooking pasta and great salad buffet. I think it was $11.

Paisanos is wonderful. Biga is nice but spendy.

Park in the rivercenter parking garage and get your ticket validated for free parking.

jorge
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2005
6:15 PM

Post #1575409

I will be staying at the La Mansion on the Riverwalk so luckily I can just walk from there. I will check the those out out. Biga sounds like something I should recommend to my boss for Monday night if I don't go.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2005
6:23 PM

Post #1575420

Biga on the Banks - first class haute cuisine! The equivalent of anything San Francisco or New York have to offer. A tad out of my price range ordinarily, but have had some invites there. Your boss should be pleased.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2005
8:23 PM

Post #1575581

We were down there at the River Walk last January, but I can't remember where we ate. What I do remember was the bouganvillas. ( I guess that's a sign where my focus is.)They were absolutely everywhere in many colors

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America