Salvia pictures from my garden

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone,

Here is Ms. "Hot Lips", Salvia microphylla. It's a pleasure to see so many flowers on this plant. Last year I had only a few, but I did have it in a different location so maybe I've placed it in a more optimal location.

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here's Buchanan's sage, Salvia buchananii, the most intense magenta flowers I've seen, even more so than Rose campion. This salvia has cool shiny leaves and is just now starting to take off in growth in my garden.

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here's a close up shot of Buchanan's sage flower. I like the fuzzy upper lip of the flower, it's sort of a larger version of S. chiapensis.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Torrance, CA(Zone 10a)

Just beautiful!

Barb

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Barb! Most of my new salvia additions are late summer bloomers so it's a treat to see flowers so early in the year.

Here's S. napifolia, whose common name I do not know. I do know it is a huge bee and butterfly magnet, and is winter hardy in my garden. It has small flowers of light blue, and is a prolific seed maker.

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Green with Envy

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Hi Kim,

I have two transplants coming along from seeds you traded to me of S. przewalskii and can't wait to get them in their new home out in the garden. I will have to mulch that one this fall if I want to see flowers next year.

Joseph

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Help! I bought Salvia Brenthurst for my window boxes.It's a lovely pale pinky peach. Brenthurst has bloomed for a month and now there are just little stubs all along the tall stem. Do I pick the little stubs off to get another bloom? Do I cut it down? Do I do nothing? Can I get another bloom? It's so beautiful, I really hope someone can help me.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

I suspect the stubs you speak of are the seed calyces. You can snip off the flower stem if you don't want to save the seeds, this will stimulate more flower stems to be produced. Or if you want the seeds, you can wait for the seeds inside calyx ripen; they turn brown/blackish in color.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow! Your salvia collection is awesome!

I checked my S. nemorosa 'Caradona' today, and it looks like the calyxes are falling off the stalk before the seeds ripen.... Would it work to pick the stems while the seeds are still a little green, put them in a paper bag, and hope they continue to mature?

I shall have to hope I find some seeds to tempt you into a trade... LMK what you're looking for, and I'll start hunting!

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Hi Jill,

It wouldn't do to collect unripened seeds...don't know why the calyces are falling off. Maybe it's been too wet lately?

No worries, we'll salvia trade soon. Your trade of the pink columbine seeds will be out in tomorrow's mail! Thanks!!

Joseph

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, the 'Caradona' is still putting up some blooms, so I'll watch them closely and hopefully get some seeds.

Thanks, Joseph!

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Microphyla works well for me. I have" watermelon". Hotlips is smashing. I will look for it!

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is another picture of S. microphylla "Hot Lips", showing the variability in color when the weather gets warmer.

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you Gerris2! Here is a picture of Brenthurst:

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Ivy,

Wow, great color on that flower! Such vivid pink color!

Joseph

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

It is actually really peachy when it starts, and the tip is pinker. Then it darkens just a tad. I just love it.

Indigo Spires is next to it, but was too big to get in the picture!

This message was edited Jul 12, 2005 9:59 AM

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

You can't get enough of Hot Lips (oh oh can I say that here? LOL).

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here are a few more of Hot Lips.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

An all red form of Hot Lips...

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Lastly, a different angle on the earlier flower set.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here are leaves of Rose Leaf Sage (Salvia involucrata). Love the red veins on the leaf.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

I was just at the garden store and picked up a Salvia x hotlips! I have to say though, as is often the case,the color of the pictures doesn't do it justice. It seems more cherry red to me in person. It really is a beautiful plant. What zone is it hardy to? I am in zone 4a so I was thinking of trying to bring in under lights this fall.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

It is not hardy in Wilmington, DE, although I have another cultivar of that species that is winterhardy here. You named it as a hybrid, I thought it was Salvia microphylla?

Joseph

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the info. Don't pay any attention to what I wrote. I know nothing about this plant except I couldn't pass by its beautiful flowers at the garden store this afternoon. I wonder if it will overwinter indoors? Salvia microphylla it is then. The tag on the plant was singularly unspecific about it - just a picture and Salvia Hot Lips

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

grikdog,

Here's some information about Hot Lips http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/05424.html I see it is hardy to Zone7, I'm going to leave her overwinter and see if she arises from the thatch in the spring!

I tried to overwinter it indoors, and the mites got it and before that the plant looked pretty miserable. Maybe you will have better luck!

Joseph

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Cool! Thanks Gerris2. When I first saw the picture on the link I was wondering if I had the wrong plant because mine are all red. Interesting that the flowers change color depending on the time of year. Keep your fingers crossed!

You know it might be kind of fun to collect some seed from it and see what you would get as well. I wonder how tiny Salvia seed is.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2005 9:39 PM

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

I never saw a seed develop from last year's plant, I will check mine to see if there are any green ones.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here are some pictures.

This is an unknown, which shall be named "Mia's Salvia" until I get an identification. It is very tall, at present it is almost 4 feet tall, with this presentation of orange red flowers.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2005 11:51 PM

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is Salvia coccinea "Lady in Red", really a nice deep red color.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is Salvia azurea "Nekan", which is almost 5 feet tall and climbing. Really nice blue flowers, which are difficult to photograph since the plant is so tall and I am not Joe Stretch. LOL

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Another S. azurea "Nekan".

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Lastly, Salvia uliginosa.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Hello Gerris2, seem to me that you have quite a collection of salvias! If you were to be lucky collecting seeds, I would be very interested in a trade or two... let me know your interests. I am a growing lover of salvias!

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Zarcanat,

Yes, by all means I will be collecting seeds if the plant make them. Let us keep in touch for trading! Do you have a list of what you have already? If so, please D-mail it to me and then I will know what not to offer to you. Thanks!

Joseph

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Gerris2 I took some cuttings from my new salvia and it rooted like mad. Are all salvias easy to root?

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

That's awesome, grikdog. I think they are easy to root if it is the right time of year, and you obviously have found when THAT is! Congrats!!! What did you root?

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

It was some cuttings I took from my Hot Lips I just bought. I wanted to make sure I had a few extras because it sounded like it didn't overwinter all that well indoors.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Verrrry cool I must try rooting some cuttings of my Hot Lips S. microphylla! One can't have enough of this little gem!

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is Salvia guaranitica, loved it when the Syrphid fly flew in as I was about to snap the shot!

Thumbnail by Gerris2

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.