Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: What are these on my milkweed?

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 31, Views: 614
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2005
2:52 AM

Post #1578768

Hi,

I just bought a new batch of plants from a different nursery. These plants are younger, not yet ready to flower. I did notice a few Monarch eggs on the ones at the plant store but none on the ones I brought home.
I have this new looking critter on the milkweed. Doesn't look quite like a caterpillar- it's kind of flat with a lenghtwise stripe. Also, it's ?head end is pointed and the movement is quick and whiplike. Locomotion doesn't look right either. The Monarch cat's legs seem to ripple back to front in a wave where this moves more evenly. I've also noticed this silk blob on a couple of this batch of milkweed plants. I think these may be related. Can you tell me what this is? Friend or foe?

Thanks in advance,

Maggie

Thumbnail by margaran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2005
2:54 AM

Post #1578777

I know what the aphids are. I was cleaning them off when I found the new guys.

Thanks,

Maggie

Thumbnail by margaran

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2005
6:56 PM

Post #1580524

It is a green lacewing larvae, an aphid lion, a good bug to have.
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2005
9:29 PM

Post #1580944

Thanks Calalilly, I'l stop killing their food supply ;=)

Maggie
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2005
9:28 PM

Post #1583711

Yep, if you want the good bugs, ya gotta leave them some food to eat!
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2005
10:48 PM

Post #1583963

I think it's actually a hoverfly larvae. I have them yearly on my swamp milkweed because the aphids come to it as soon as it starts growing.
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2005
3:20 AM

Post #1587540

Hoverfly is a good thing? Thanks KKB.

Maggie

This message was edited Jun 29, 2005 11:21 PM
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2005
3:26 AM

Post #1587553

Sorry, the larvae eat the aphids which is a good thing! I don't know what the silk blob is tho. What kind of milkweed is it?
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2005
11:17 AM

Post #1587998

Hard to tell LOL! I bought them as young, not yet flowering plants with lots of leaves. At the rate the cats are going, I may not see flowers till next year! Some have red tags and some have yellow tags- supposedly to match the flower color.

Maggie
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2005
9:07 PM

Post #1589507

Speaking of aphids, or something, last year, (not this year) I had my butterfly milkweed covered with little tiny orange bugs, gazillions of them, couldn't even see the leaves for the tiny orange bugs, bright orange I tell ya. have no idea, but they didn't look like aphids. I wish I had a couple of catapillars around to eat them all, I had to poison the plant to get rid of them, This year I have no little orange bugs on any of the milk weeds, But not alot of butterflies on them either.
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2005
1:10 AM

Post #1589988

That's what I've been calling aphids. I either pick them off by hand or let them be. the cats eat faster that the orange bugs/?aphids do.

Maggie

I
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2005
3:16 AM

Post #1590261

Oh Kathy, don't use any poison on your milkweeds! Those aphids are normal for this plant, and they are bright yellow/orange. They are really easy to knock off with water. Even if they come back the next day, they actually don't do any damage if you just keep on them. I have a few plants that have them, and then a ton that have none. Once the cats get to the plants, they don't care, they just munch on the aphids too. But if you poison the aphids, then you run the risk of poisoning the cats too. :(
kipper2
Meadows Place, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2005
3:26 AM

Post #1590283

Just be careful to squish the Milkweed Assassin Bugs. The will kill all the Monarch Cats that they can !!. They are bright orange with long black legs and snout. Here's an image of them.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1523522

Because of them, which I pinch them little bods with my fingers, I have had very few Monarch Cats this year.

I also found out that the red Wasps flying around all my Passion Vine have been feeding on my Gulf Fritallaries. I guess to feed their young. No, I don't squish THEM between my fingers.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2005
3:36 AM

Post #1590296

Oh yes, any assassin bug is bad news for cats. That's one reason I really try to bring in or cover as many as possible.

I had these same things recently in 2 different parts of my garden. Both times there were a big group of them. Once I did end up spraying them with some insecticidal soap tho because I wasn't sure what they were, and both times I saw them they were with these bad bugs...big footed bugs? leaf foot bugs? suddenly had a memory lapse...

I hate those horrid red wasps!!! Year before last they were swarming my bed. They would fly at me and actually hit me! They didn't ever sting me, but were apparently warning me. Last year there weren't near as many, but this year they seem to be back.

I don't have a very good success rate with my GF cats. For some reason they are easy targets for the wasps and spiders. I always find the remains of one where a spider has sucked it flat. blech! But I don't bring these guys in because the vine is too hard to feed to them. They just aren't natural eating just leaves laying flat. I had quite a few eggs recently, but soon after they had disappeared. ?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2005
11:16 AM

Post #1590736

I've seen those before, but that's not what was all over the milkweeds last year, these were so tiny they just looked like orange dots, barely moved, and you couldn't see the leaves for all the orange dots. wish I had taken a picture of them then.

kathy
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2005
11:56 AM

Post #1590797

Kathy_Ann:

Here is a link to a site with your aphids, 5th photo.

Maggie

http://whatsthatbug.com/aphids.html
What's That Bug:Aphids, Scale Insects, Leafhoppers, and Tree Hoppers
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2005
1:42 PM

Post #1590978

Kathy, they could have been spider mites if they were that tiny. I had them on mine earlier this year because we haven't had any rain. I did have to spray mine with some insecticidal soap, and the only reason I did that since all of mine are planted solely for the Monarchs, is because my season of Monarchs has a little while before it gets here and my plants were going to die if I didn't get rid of them. So I sprayed them just a little then went out the next day, after someone said that water will get rid of them, and sprayed them down (up, down, all over) with the hose. Now they are fine. :)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2005
5:57 PM

Post #1591622

woohoo maggie you hit it on the nail, that's what I had, a little worse than she had them too. Thanks
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2005
7:09 PM

Post #1591889

I'm a little confused..so you did have aphids on the milkweed but just didn't know your little orange dots were aphids. They are much bigger than spider mites.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2005
7:22 PM

Post #1591916

Sorry, I didn't realize they were aphids, but I guess they are, they were awfully tiny, I've seen the green aphids and the red ones, but never the orange ones, I've seen spider mites before they kind of have a spider web around their action.
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1592256

Glad I could help. My cats eat faster than the aphids and it's protein for the cats.

Maggie
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2005
4:01 AM

Post #1592836

Maggie, how do you know that eating aphids provides protein? Have you been snacking on them?! ;)

Kathy_ann, if the milkweed aphids seem unusually small to you, I don't think I want to see those green or red ones. They must be a lot larger, and uglier.
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2005
12:11 PM

Post #1593221

Well sure! Anything in the name of research ;-)

I wish I had a webcam right now as I sit on my porch watching the newly hatched monarch and the one I'm sure is about to hatch. Wish I could share it with you.

Maggie
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2005
10:16 PM

Post #1594290

They must have all been babies LOL, the adult green aphids are real easy fo rme to see, but the green babies are tiny. the red ones on my tomatoes are really easy to see, their quite large
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #5525215

I have had these orange bugs also. I thought they were aphids but not quite sure. Thanks.
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5526507

Dylangc,

Since aphids are SO common, the orange bugs are probably aphids. If they are orange & black, W/ flat back, I personally don't see them bothering my cats but they do chew up my plants. Aphids are so soft bodied that they are so easy to squish. It's much less work than spraying w/ soapy water and rinsing before the temp hits 80 degrees to avoid phytotoxic damage. Squish & rinse.

Maggie
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5527489

I have those Hoverfly larvae also. Once I found a live one in a container after the cats had eaten a milkweed cutting down to just a stub of the stem. The Hoverfly larvae had wisely gotten out of the way to avoid being eaten itself.
rstipe1229
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6377869

We also had hundreds of the little orange bugs on the milkweed, too many to pinch off becase they scatter so fast. I captured several in a small glass jarand took them to the county ag center. There an agent quickly identified them as Giant Milkweed Bugs - yup, that's what he called them. Just shake the plant or lightly hose them off each plant & quickly step on those that don't crawl under the mulch. They'll be back, so keep the hose handy.

Wish I had a picture to show you. They're not aphids.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2009
6:03 AM

Post #6380989

Here is a picture from Bugfiles...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/199/
SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6486999

Has anyone tried planting yarrow or allium near or next to the milkweeds? The yarrow attracts the ladybugs to help keep the aphid #'s down and the allium is great because aphids don't like the smell of onions...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6489680

This early spring aphids are so abundant. Mostly infested tall tall trees and dropping their gruey 'honey dews' a sticky substance on top of my other plantings beneath. Luckily, I've an army of these ladybugs larvaes to battle with them aphids. Thanks goodness, cause I don't want to have to resource back to chemical for my butterflies' sakes.

Here is ladybug larva ...even at these stage, they're actively searching for aphids. Yeah!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6489698

This is the last instar before the thing become a mature ladybug. I've a clematis vine to the side yard that's practically covered with aphids and their host predators.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
Our Newest Giant Swallowtail Maydreams27 5 Jul 14, 2007 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America