Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means

There are a total of 244 votes:

The plant produces one (mono) color of flower, rather than a variable mix
(13 votes, 5%)
Red dot

The plant will produce only a single flower or fruit at a time (e.g., orchids)
(86 votes, 35%)
Red dot

The plant will flower and produce seed or fruit in one season then die (i.e., annual plant)
(28 votes, 11%)
Red dot

A plant that will die after producing seed or fruit, which may take several years
(117 votes, 47%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

A pond with only one fish in it?

N., CA(Zone 9a)

A photo with only one automobile?

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

That's very punny you two.

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I was so [deleted] when my fishtail palm went to fruit.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Lol yall three. i haven't got a good one but I am laughing!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Had to look this one up...I had no idea! I know now though. Thank you for expanding my kjnowledge today !!!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I looked it up too.
Josephine.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, I have 'Scruples,' so I voted first (wrongly guessing Door No. 2) and then looked it up in the dictionary.

See my post here for June 27 if you want to grow some 'Scruples" of your own:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/502671/

This message was edited Jun 27, 2005 8:37 PM

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

My first thought was about a Koi......but my sense of humor wasn't fine tuned today until I read the first replies. Thanks....I needed that! LOL

Believe it or not, a somewhat wild guess got me the right vote. I just figured the word wasn't used that much and was rather unique sounding so I took the most unique answer.......Logic...I dunno?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, I think this is the first botany quiz I've gotten right! *big grin*

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

mono-car'pic, n.; carp that prefer to remain single.

Mandeville, LA

The car that Mono picked ~ Mono car pic
or
Mo doesn't want to pick the car ~ Mo no car pic

This message was edited Jun 28, 2005 11:34 AM

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

I don't know the answer.

It would be nice if the answer was posted. Just because, "A plant that will die after producing seed or fruit, which may take several years", has most of the vote doesn't make it the correct answer.

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I like QueenB's comments the best. I'm a horticulture student, working on my certificate, and I had to look it up, Woe is me! I agree that it would be nice to have the answer posted after the vote....

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

The way the voting booth is structured, there isn't a way for me to post the "correct" answer for users to see after you vote. This is the same voting booth we use each week for all kinds of fun questions, most of which ask for opinions, so there is no "right" answer - and the main reason we have a weekly question is for the discussion it generates on the accompanying thread ;o)

The good news is the answers to all botany quizzes can be found in either Garden Terms or Botanary - and I hope these periodic quizzes nudge people to use those tools more frequently. I usually post a confirmation of the correct answer by the time the week is winding down and most people have voted already.

Mandeville, LA

O.K., so I found the Garden Terms section and I read the definition - which I got wrong!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I don't think I'd want one of these plants. How terrible to wait several years for something to bloom, and it die and never come back.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Got me this Time , I had to look it up :-P

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

but the jokes were good, Kathryn127!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How about a DG person with one constant carp about a problem?

yuk-yuk-yuk

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Libby, MT(Zone 5b)

What??? You mean some people look it up BEFORE voting??? That seems so wrong! lol. I have a strong ethical code against cheating. Even on a poll for fun. Maybe I'm too uptight? :-)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Yes - when people are stumped they look first. I had to look, so I didn't cast a vote. I just said my piece after finding out what it meant.

No ethical dilemma - it's an "open book" test, as is most of life. (It's not what you know, it's whether you know where to find it ;o)

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

My own fruit?

touché @ monocromatico (chuckling - I should have used that as one of the choices ;o)

Libby, MT(Zone 5b)

Oh goodie. I've always loved open book tests. I wish my instructors at the college I'm attending would give some!
:-)

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

great quiz this time and great laughs - i like the prefers to be single carp - its all about lifestyle choices for gardeners

Olympia, WA

I did get it - w/o looking - but then as I read the responses - aside from the humorous ones, I don't think everyone got it even after looking it up.

Mono will always mean "one" - so it is particularly strange that this august body voted so often for the one selection that wasn't about "one" ..... hmmmmmmm....

I did remember what a carpel was from Botany 101 - back in the Age of the Dinosaurs.

Vicki

Libby, MT(Zone 5b)

Ah, but that choice is also about one... It only blooms or produces seeds ONE time and then it dies. Thats one cycle. :-)

Las Cruces, NM

Annuals are monocarpic...

Annuals can be but not necessarily so.
Monocarpic is a plant that dies after producing flower,seed or fruit no matter how long it takes.

G1 2BG, United Kingdom

The ovary which have only one 'Carpel' is called as Monocarpic

G1 2BG, United Kingdom

which have only one carpel, is monocarpic

ROLF ! ! ! ! ! !

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

Cardiocrinum Giganteum- 7 year wait, and thats it!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.