Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: How do i install a bird bath pump on my birdbath?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 3, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
deb789
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2005
3:13 PM

Post #1579833

I need some ideas on how to put a fountain pump on my simple birdbath? Do i need to drill a hole for the pump? Do i need a small or medium pump? Please Explain ,On ways to put this water pump on my birdbath feeder?

Thumbnail by deb789
Click the image for an enlarged view.

margmal
Washingtonville, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2005
5:04 PM

Post #1580207

The best thing to do wold be to find a birdbath that already has the plumbing but barring that you could look for a battery or solar powered floating fountain pump.

This bb is fired ceramic so if you still want to drill, I imagine you'd have use a diamond bit on it. The recirculating pump could sit at the bottom of the stand but you'd need to gasket the hole(s) to prevent leaks. (You'd a supply line to the fountain and a return line back down to the pump). You'd also have to arrange for a power supply.

Another thing to keep in mind is that with a fountain, you can lose as much as 50% of your water to evaporation so you'd have to keep an eye on the water level.
deb789
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2005
5:08 PM

Post #1583079

How do i measure my birdbath, So i can use the right pump on this birdbath? What pump size?
margmal
Washingtonville, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2005
3:28 PM

Post #1591276

Pumps are usually rated in gallons per hour. You wouldn't need anything very big. I guess I'd see how much water the basin holds and go from there.

I wonder if a pet shop that specializes in exotics might have something you could use.

Margaret

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America