Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Bugs!

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 168
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2001
8:43 AM

Post #7550

I have never seen this before. I have no idea what they are but they do not seem to be eating the plant. But I would really like to know what they are and if they are "Good" or "bad" bugs.

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2001
11:23 AM

Post #88906

I believe I just destroyed one of these this morning - it was feeding on a rose bud. I think it's the dreaded Japanese beetle. Mine was like a shiny dull green metallic colour and looks like your picture. I hope someone tells us different.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 1, 2001
11:42 AM

Post #88914

These don't look like Japanese Beetles. I can't seem to find the photo in my book that I was looking for, but I think they are some kind of leaf beetle.
Cala
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2001
2:09 PM

Post #88979

Japanese beetles are about the size of your fingernail or bigger, and shiny green. I hate them with a passion, they will clean out a plant in a day!
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2001
7:15 PM

Post #89083

They look like ticks to me, but do ticks eat plants?
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2001
7:17 PM

Post #89085

Heck!!! I was looking at the beetle on the left of the picture - forgot to scroll to the right...lol!! Looks like blackfly - the type that used to decimate my broccoli back home.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2001
10:09 PM

Post #89148

How large are these insects? What type of leaf is that? I'm having a tough time figuring out the overall scale of the critters. BTW, Zany's fortunate to live out west like she does - they don't have Japanese beetles out there. But, then again, we don't have scorpions in Ohio, either! LOL

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 1st 6:12 PM
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2001
1:48 AM

Post #89227

lol GW - I just found out that my Japanese beetle is a cockchafer beetle or chafer beetle. Green shiny head and bronzy body. Disgusting anyway!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2001
2:08 AM

Post #89240

The chafer beetles are in full swing here in Ohio, too, Louisa. They inundate the front porch because of the bright lights we have out there. When we come home, it's

ping, ping, ping

as they ricochet off of everything around us (and us).

Bleah! Kimberley
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2001
7:25 AM

Post #89286

These range in size from about the size of a lady bug to the size of an ant. They are sitting on the leaf of an Agapanthus plant. They do not have any wings that I can discern and the shiny black in the picture is pretty much what my naked eye sees. The leaf they are on is yellowing but I do not know if these bugs are the cause or if it is simply dying naturally as it is an older leaf. I looked at them again this am and noticed there are several tiny ones in the group that are bright shiny red while the rest are black.

I thought about ticks but all the ticks I have seen were brown.

As for the Scorpions...I live on the north coast and we don't have them here. They stay with the rattle snakes in the mountains higher up from us and in the deserts. :)
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2001
8:15 PM

Post #89944

Well, I still do not know what they WERE! But a Robin just finished off the last one on the plant! She must have babies to feed cause she kept coming back all morning till the last one was picked off!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2001
11:11 PM

Post #89986

Now that's the way to do it!! I hope you thanked Mrs Robin :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America